Father's/Mother's Day

It's that time of year again - dunno about anyone else, but my old man is one of the "difficult to buy for" people, so I try to keep an eye out for something all year round. No joy in the past twelve months, so I'm hoping maybe P&B might have some ideas (or, at the very least, some amusingly inappropriate ones). Feel free to ask for help yourself, share gifts that you've found for your own folks, or presents that you've received from your kids (you lucky devil).

My father is your archetypal hard-right Tory Brexiteer who likes cider, WWII planes, and cars. He also loves the TV show NCIS for some reason. He spent his life working in construction, but I haven't found any fertile ground for gift ideas there. I've tried selection baskets of cider before, but he only drinks his favourite brand and reacts to trying anything new like you've asked if he fancies a colonoscopy. He's already got tons of WWII memorabilia and I don't know if he would appreciate more clutter. I used to get away with getting him DVD box sets for dreadful shows like Mind Your Language, but he doesn't watch them anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

6 minutes ago, mathematics said:

If he was in construction and likes WWII how about some wee plastic models of fighter planes.

He's got tons of them, and was complaining recently about having loads of AirFix kits that he'd meant to build years ago and likely will never get around to now (he's well into his Eighties - manual dexterity isn't quite what it used to be).

Thanks for the idea though!

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's that time of year again - dunno about anyone else, but my old man is one of the "difficult to buy for" people, so I try to keep an eye out for something all year round. No joy in the past twelve months, so I'm hoping maybe P&B might have some ideas (or, at the very least, some amusingly inappropriate ones). Feel free to ask for help yourself, share gifts that you've found for your own folks, or presents that you've received from your kids (you lucky devil).

My father is your archetypal hard-right Tory Brexiteer who likes cider, WWII planes, and cars. He also loves the TV show NCIS for some reason. He spent his life working in construction, but I haven't found any fertile ground for gift ideas there. I've tried selection baskets of cider before, but he only drinks his favourite brand and reacts to trying anything new like you've asked if he fancies a colonoscopy. He's already got tons of WWII memorabilia and I don't know if he would appreciate more clutter. I used to get away with getting him DVD box sets for dreadful shows like Mind Your Language, but he doesn't watch them anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Subscriptions to the Daily Mail and Daily Express sound perfect

@BFTD

Have you ever considered taking him abroad to a visit an area of Europe that has WW11 (or WW1) historical significance? There are a number of tour operators that do organised trips but it’s also something you could consider doing yourself.

By the time I had the opportunity to take my father he was not physically able to travel abroad.

Huge regret for me personally as he is no longer with us. 

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

@BFTD

Have you ever considered taking him abroad to a visit an area of Europe that has WW11 (or WW1) historical significance? There are a number of tour operators that do organised trips but it’s also something you could consider doing yourself.

By the time I had the opportunity to take my father he was not physically able to travel abroad.

This is brilliant.

56 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Subscriptions to the Daily Mail and Daily Express sound perfect

He already has one to the former - it's his bible  :(

45 minutes ago, Molotov said:

@BFTD

That's a nice idea, thanks. Unfortunately, he already finds it hard to get around these days and is terrified of doing anything new, from going to a pub other than his local, to visiting a shop he's never been to before.

I've tried mentioning that I could go with him to one of the UK-based sites, but he's already been to anywhere I've brought up and doesn't want to go again  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

A nice bunch of flowers is always appreciated 

I'd love to see the look on his face.

Maybe a nice foreign plant of some sort  :P

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Get him an XL Bully called Farrage.

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Get him an XL Bully called Farrage.

He'd genuinely love that. Unfortunately, he's been forced to admit that he's really not up to owning a dog anymore.

TBF, he's never said much about Farridge, but I do get the impression that the only thing he didn't like about Hitler was that he fought Britain.

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He already has one to the former - it's his bible  :(

That's a nice idea, thanks. Unfortunately, he already finds it hard to get around these days and is terrified of doing anything new, from going to a pub other than his local, to visiting a shop he's never been to before.

I've tried mentioning that I could go with him to one of the UK-based sites, but he's already been to anywhere I've brought up and doesn't want to go again  :rolleyes:

Have you taken him to Bletchley Park?

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He'd genuinely love that. Unfortunately, he's been forced to admit that he's really not up to owning a dog anymore.

TBF, he's never said much about Farridge, but I do get the impression that the only thing he didn't like about Hitler was that he fought Britain.

Sounds like the perfect XL bully owner.

Not sure if it was genuinely the dog’s name or if the owners had simply stolen the kennel at some point but there used to be a dog near me with “Adolf” on its kennel. He was a German Shepherd though so it was maybe an innocent, traditional name from Alsace.

6 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Have you taken him to Bletchley Park?

No, but that's a nice idea, and it sort of ties in with my work too. Not too far away from him either - I'm going to give that a shot and see what he says, thanks!

Also, Google does something nice when you search for Bletchley Park :P

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sounds like the perfect XL bully owner.

Not sure if it was genuinely the dog’s name or if the owners had simply stolen the kennel at some point but there used to be a dog near me with “Adolf” on its kennel. He was a German Shepherd though so it was maybe an innocent, traditional name from Alsace.

Have you gone all Mansfield Town on us with your avatar, BTW?