League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

Pretty routine in the end but Airdrie were a very good test at this stage of the season.

Hancock played really well. I thought it was harsh to release him at the time but with MacKenzie there and Hayes in the squad it was probably in the loons best interests.

Fair play Dons,came out gunning in the second half and gave us very little to play with in midfield.

Thought we showed up pretty well overall with a lot of positives to take forward into the season,when we're on it we can cause most teams problems,if we can mibbes cut down on the heart attack inducing brain farts this year that would be nice.

Big Mase Hancock a solid contender to retain his crown as secret man crush of the season.

58 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Can't comment on McKechnie's performance in this evenings match as I'm not there, but the more I see of him the more he reminds me of a Graham Weir / Dan Pybus type player... ie lots of energy and running about but next to no end product to match the effort.

Weir at least put himself about. McKechnie was playing with a couple of our youngsters tonight, who IMO aren't ready to make the step up to regular first teamers (though they were by no means poor tonight) and he was still comfortably the worst player on the park for me. I thought he looked good when he shifted to CF on Saturday but he was miles off it tonight. He didn't even look like putting himself about. No idea if he was carrying a knock or even hasn't been well but that was particularly poor IMO. Reckon he'd have been hooked had Lyon not got injured. 

37 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Bad injury for Lyon?

35 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Lyon off injured according to BBC. 
FFS. 😞 

As DHD said, he was down twice before going off. He walked off so I'm hoping it was a precaution. He's going to be a huge player for us. Another excellent shift tonight. Early days yes but he looks far too good for L1. FWIW I asked Jon Connolly about the other 4 (who were in the stand apparently) and he said they should be back for Saturday. Incase Sandra doesn't ask Murphy...

That was a comfortable win in the end. EK had a lot of the ball in both halves (more so the first) but Stewart wasn't really tested other than taking a couple of crosses. Thought the defence did well as well. Douglas looks a great signing, Dickenson looked far comfier tonight and Hewitt seems to have settled well. McIntyre probably my motm, another superb display. If Bartley needs proof of how shite a manager he was he should come and watch this boy play. He never got close to these kind of performances under us. 

Craic put himself about well when he came on but he really needs a goal to settle himself. Had a chance but failed to take it. Just feels like he's trying too hard the now. Hoping he'll be like Bobby Wales and go on a spree once his first one comes. 

I actually thought we were better in the second half tonight. I'd rather we started games better but it's good to see Murphy seems to be getting a reaction at HT from the players. We've looked sharper after HT in every LC game so far IMO. If we can get out the traps like that we should do ok. 

A few negatives tonight but a lot more positives for me. Airdrie will be massive favourites for Saturday but after the Aberdeen game I think most folk wouldn't have expected us to have something to play for this weekend, so I'm delighted we do. 

Also, get it right up Si Ferry. The wee gobshite spent most of the night stropping about like a petulant child. At one point even moaning to the first aiders after no one else wanted to hear it. Lost count of how many times QoS players were fouled and he was screaming at the officials. Not even questionable decisions. Tit. No sign of the chicken man which maybe made Ferry try harder. Stick to your podcasts. 

I enjoyed that as a game, at least when we started to play like something resembling a football team. I thought Airdrie were excellent for most of it, but especially in the first half - they were brave in possession but also really accurate and incisive with how they used the ball.

We were much improved second half, with Shinnie the catalyst for this. We were much more aggressive than in the first half, and Miovski allowed us to link the play much better and also look more threatening in transition. The defence stood up well at the end, but nobody could have too many complaints if Airdrie had managed to get at least a point from the game - they looked really well coached and played with real confidence but also genuine quality.

I have some pretty big concerns about this Aberdeen squad as things stand, but happy for now that we managed to turn it around in the second half against really competitive opposition. That sort of challenge should hopefully stand us in better stead for the season than either of the previous two games.

Edited by DrewDon

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I enjoyed that as a game, at least when we started to play like something resembling a football team. I thought Airdrie were excellent for most of it, but especially in the first half - they were brave in possession but also really accurate and incisive with how they used the ball.

We were much improved second half, with Shinnie the catalyst for this. We were much more aggressive than in the first half, and Miovski allowed us to link the play much better and also look more threatening in transition. The defence stood up well at the end, but nobody could have too many complaints if Airdrie had managed to get at least a point from the game - they looked really well coached and played with real confidence but also genuine quality.

I have some pretty big concerns about this Aberdeen squad as things stand, but happy for now that we managed to turn it around in the second half against really competitive opposition. That sort of challenge should hopefully stand us in better stead for the season than either of the previous two games.

Our squad is nowhere near ready to compete in the league. We only looked like winning when Miovski came on and he’s probably away in a few weeks. 

Well played Airdrie, unlucky not to take something from that game. Would Hancock get in our team ahead of MacKenzie? I reckon he would. 

10 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

Our squad is nowhere near ready to compete in the league. We only looked like winning when Miovski came on and he’s probably away in a few weeks. 

Well played Airdrie, unlucky not to take something from that game. Would Hancock get in our team ahead of MacKenzie? I reckon he would. 

Apparently there is some interest in Hancock and he might not be an Airdrie player come 1st September. I believe Hearts made an enquiry but were scared off by the £200k asking price. 

Having said that tonight was nowhere near his best!

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Weir at least put himself about. McKechnie was playing with a couple of our youngsters tonight, who IMO aren't ready to make the step up to regular first teamers (though they were by no means poor tonight) and he was still comfortably the worst player on the park for me. I thought he looked good when he shifted to CF on Saturday but he was miles off it tonight. He didn't even look like putting himself about. No idea if he was carrying a knock or even hasn't been well but that was particularly poor IMO. Reckon he'd have been hooked had Lyon not got injured. 

As DHD said, he was down twice before going off. He walked off so I'm hoping it was a precaution. He's going to be a huge player for us. Another excellent shift tonight. Early days yes but he looks far too good for L1. FWIW I asked Jon Connolly about the other 4 (who were in the stand apparently) and he said they should be back for Saturday. Incase Sandra doesn't ask Murphy...

That was a comfortable win in the end. EK had a lot of the ball in both halves (more so the first) but Stewart wasn't really tested other than taking a couple of crosses. Thought the defence did well as well. Douglas looks a great signing, Dickenson looked far comfier tonight and Hewitt seems to have settled well. McIntyre probably my motm, another superb display. If Bartley needs proof of how shite a manager he was he should come and watch this boy play. He never got close to these kind of performances under us. 

Craic put himself about well when he came on but he really needs a goal to settle himself. Had a chance but failed to take it. Just feels like he's trying too hard the now. Hoping he'll be like Bobby Wales and go on a spree once his first one comes. 

I actually thought we were better in the second half tonight. I'd rather we started games better but it's good to see Murphy seems to be getting a reaction at HT from the players. We've looked sharper after HT in every LC game so far IMO. If we can get out the traps like that we should do ok. 

A few negatives tonight but a lot more positives for me. Airdrie will be massive favourites for Saturday but after the Aberdeen game I think most folk wouldn't have expected us to have something to play for this weekend, so I'm delighted we do. 

I think that’s a good summary of tonight. Walker better than I expected tbh. Just hope we wrap Lyon in cotton wool as he looks to be our main man

Overall, I enjoyed the match tonight. No idea why there seems to be a few on here who see Jack McKenzie as a weak link in the side. I’m completed of the opposite view and thought that he played well again tonight. Was really impressed by McGrath, Clarkson, Shinnie, Mackenzie, Devlin (at times). Molloy played fine, but not convinced as yet by Nilsen who gave the ball straight to an Airdrie player at least three times. But squad is really light, particularly wide players and strikers when Bojan goes. I thought Bojan was very reticent to get involved in anything physical tonight.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Apparently there is some interest in Hancock and he might not be an Airdrie player come 1st September. I believe Hearts made an enquiry but were scared off by the £200k asking price. 

Having said that tonight was nowhere near his best!

I'd heard it was Hibs 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Why do you keep calling Zander Craik, Zander Craic? Am I missing an 'in joke'?

I don't think anyone missing tonight (Luissint, Kennedy, McIntosh, McLinden, Doherty) is seriously hurt. Various knocks from last Tuesday not recovered. Whether they are ok for Saturday I've no idea. Didn't look particularly serious for either Cochrane or Lyon tonight either. And thankfully none of the 6 players sitting on a booking were booked. Ben Johnstone is now a 7th sitting on one but nobody's banned.

We should have scored in the first couple of minutes when McKechnie put it over (should have left it for Lyon to hit himself). Thereafter EK were the better side for the next 35 minutes. Stewart made on excellent save first half which maybe you couldn't see from behind the goal when Douglas was short with a backpass. He came out and got half a block on Daramola's shot and Dickenson then cleared the loose ball off the line. We woke up for about 6 minutes at the end of the half and killed the game in it. Thought their keeper was at fault for all of them to be honest but especially the third. He was nowhere near the flight of the corner. The Walker one was pretty well hit but it wasn't in the corner either. He just didn't seem to reach it.

Second half was comfortable enough mostly and Cochrane should certainly have scored when he cracked one off the angle of bar and post. Johnstone should probably have scored with a free header near the end too. But they had chances, most especially the one from miles out that cannoned off the bar too.

Have to say I fully expected to be in this position after the Aberdeen game. Beating Dumbarton and EK is what we should be doing without counting any chickens and I expected Aberdeen to win their way through the whole group so having a head to head with Airdrie isn't a surprise. Beating an impressive Airdrie side though would be a much more impressive feat, especially if we're short a few bodies.

Enjoyable game.

We still need four or five in given likely departures - I am sure that will happen, but it may need the patience that was so wonderfully demonstrated by a small amount, who still gave the Sportsound guy the 'booed off at HT' line in his JT interview.

Proper hipster fitba from Airdrie - and Hancock's release looks another mistake.

Shady Mo teased us into believing miracles can happen, but that was more like it.

Sokler's effort near the end of the first half was very composed, and lovely technique in placing the ball the wrong side of the post.

Did the hawk have a night off?  It was revenge of the gulls, and only the cheer for the goals temporarily sent them back on to the roof of the stands.

Was a neutral at Pittodrie last night.

Aberdeen were poor in 1st half, no structure and lost too many easy tackles and passes. Airdrie were impressive and deserved lead. 

2nd half and a better Aberdeen came out and pushed hard for the goals that got the win, but still not brilliant, and gave Airdrie plenty of opportunities to get back in it. A slackness that will need to be sorted.

MotM was Hancock, not only very good but greatly assisted by the Aberdeen defence  being allergic to being within 10m of him and giving him so much space to play as he wanted on the wide left. Doubt he will be at Airdrie much longer.

Edited by MEADOWXI

Posted (edited)

Like others saw the line up and thought Murphy had decided to give the youngsters a chance or half the squad's injured - didn't expect much after that.  In the end it was a decent win although a draw wouldn't have been unfair.  Surprisingly, after the red card it was all EK towards the end and they could've scored twice in that period with a simple header straight at Stewart from the centre of the box and Stirling's effort that came off the bar.  Still, a win's a win in those circumstances.

Thought EK played some nice stuff, but lacked sharpness up front and it's their defence that lets them down.  Particularly in the first half thought we were giving their right winger Robertson too much room but he didn't do too much damage with his posession fortunately.

For Queens Lyon was immense and need to hope he's not seriously injured.  Young Oscar MacIntyre had a terrific game - great defending, forceful runs and bags of energy; bit of a revelation after the Bartley version of him.  MOTM for me between Lyon and MacIntyre.  Liked what I saw of Josh Walker, particularly in the first half.  Dickenson, Douglas and Hewitt looked solid and Stewart did fine between the sticks - although I couldn't really see clearly who was at fault for EK's goal.  We took our three goals well, but we won't be faced with that sort of defending in L1 this season.  Wee McKechnie tried hard but had something of a thankless task up front.  Think we're looking better at the back and in midfield but the questions remain up front - albeit that this was a makeshift side last night.

Tidy enough set up at K-Park last night, but places like that and Meadowbank are just not right for watching senior fitba.

Edited by Otis Blue

47 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Enjoyable game.

We still need four or five in given likely departures - I am sure that will happen, but it may need the patience that was so wonderfully demonstrated by a small amount, who still gave the Sportsound guy the 'booed off at HT' line in his JT interview.

Proper hipster fitba from Airdrie - and Hancock's release looks another mistake.

Shady Mo teased us into believing miracles can happen, but that was more like it.

Sokler's effort near the end of the first half was very composed, and lovely technique in placing the ball the wrong side of the post.

Did the hawk have a night off?  It was revenge of the gulls, and only the cheer for the goals temporarily sent them back on to the roof of the stands.

To be fair to Sokler, it was looked like a great touch by the defender that took it wide. 

The seagulls were amazing. Great performance. 

Does Aberdeen's groundsman use fish guts as fertiliser for the pitch or something?  Alfred Hitchcock would have loved filming at Pittodrie last night.  I lived in Aberdeen a few years ago, and while you never quite forget that the seagulls there are about the size of horses I had forgotten about their tendency to swarm like that.

Anyway, off to find some butteries for breakfast.

I expected airdrie to be a tricky one for us so wasn’t particularly surprised at us being 1-0 down and looking ropey. 

A really good, confident side who seem to want to show how good they are at as high a level as they can and fair play. We are trying new things, don’t look particularly fit and we’re always liable to be caught cold. 

I only watched second half but we responded well enough and got the job done so can’t say more than that. There is definitely shoots of what we’re trying to do. Squad is not where it needs to be, it will improve but fully expect us to go into September still a bit short. Don’t feel the need to stress about that.