West of Scotland AGM

some things that need to happen - the wos should be saying to the sjfa tough we will have midweek games before your semi finals like it or leave it.

your sjfa semi finals should be one legged not two - if you insist on two then we insist you play them on a tuesday or wednesday night

nobody involved with the wosfl board should perform any role with the sjfa

relatively simple

8 minutes ago, Big Davy Boy said:

some things that need to happen - the wos should be saying to the sjfa tough we will have midweek games before your semi finals like it or leave it.

your sjfa semi finals should be one legged not two - if you insist on two then we insist you play them on a tuesday or wednesday night

nobody involved with the wosfl board should perform any role with the sjfa

relatively simple

Do they put on different hats to do this as the WoS and sjfa are becoming one and the same

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I hadn't realised that Kennie also held an official position with the SJFA until yesterday.

image.png.0051c2b4f4d6141960b3a531a878e798.png

I ain't saying nothing, one of the Blazers gave me a lift back to Glasgow from Broadwood.

Edited by PossilYM

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I take your point regarding player well being but to play devils advocate they will receive more money for playing further into the season recompenses them for that. 

I have said before the league season should be better planned out but the job is to get the champions decided by a certain date and that was achieved. 

Maybe one way forward is to reduce the size of the Divisions beneath the Premier Division. Is it really necessary for the clubs at the lower Divs to play 30 League matches?

The Premier Div is a feeder (one day) to the LL so it needs to be 16 clubs so they're used to that number of League games each season, although the LL is currently scheduling more than that!

Reducing the Divs 1 through 4 to 12 each may be on the low side. Don't know. It would mean 8 extra relegations in the preceding season and the creation of Div 5, or regionalise Div 4. This would create space for four new clubs. Maybe not such a bad idea? Surely the SFA could get its' head around that? Especially if any refusal was given enough oxygen via the media?

Edited by Dev

17 minutes ago, Dev said:

Maybe one way forward is to reduce the size of the Divisions beneath the Premier Division. Is it really necessary for the clubs at the lower Divs to play 30 League matches?

The Premier Div is a feeder (one day) to the LL so it needs to be 16 clubs so they're used to that number of League games each season, although the LL is currently scheduling more than that!

Reducing the Divs 1 through 4 to 12 each may be on the low side. Don't know. It would mean 8 extra relegations in the preceding season and the creation of Div 5, or regionalise Div 4. This would create space for four new clubs. Maybe not such a bad idea? Surely the SFA could get its' head around that? Especially if any refusal was given enough oxygen via the media?

I don't think you'll find many clubs who would want to reduce to 22 games. 11 home games isn't financially viable for most.

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I don't think you'll find many clubs who would want to reduce to 22 games. 11 home games isn't financially viable for most.

In order to fit in all cup games what number of League games would be best. The present 30 seems to be to many. The cup games alone would bring in some  home ties, depending on how well a club does it could be quite a few.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

I see that my figures are wrong. Apologies. Reducing to 12 for 4 Divisions would be 16 extra relegations - does not work.

Maybe 16 - 14 - 14 - 14 - 14. With an extra Division of 14. If my figures are right this time it would open up space for 6 new clubs. Regionalisation of the lowest two Divisions could help if the SFA would 'play ball'.

I see the SJFA have announced that Neilston & Renfrew from the West and Dunipace from the East are re-joining and Drumchapel & Giffnock are joining (along with Westdyke). All subject to approval (which I would expect to happen)

I am mentioning it on this thread due to the discussion we have already have had and although not necessarily about this topic had implications. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Dunipace from the East

You missed out Sauchie Juniors from the SJFA tweet. Which is crucial for both of them participating in the Junior Cup, as they can be paired together on the second round date for an EOS Premier fixture rather than forfeiting like Camelon did last time. Though at some point they'll come up against a non-SJFA fixture and need either their Junior Cup or league opponent to agree to a switch for their game to go ahead.

Edited by Ginaro

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

You missed out Sauchie Juniors from the SJFA tweet. Which is crucial for both of them participating in the Junior Cup, as they can be paired together on the second round date for an EOS Premier fixture rather than forfeiting like Camelon did last time. Though at some point they'll come up against a non-SJFA fixture and need either their Junior Cup or league opponent to agree to a switch for their game to go ahead.

Yeah, the initial tweet (which was deleted) didn’t have Sauchie on it. Just noticed the new post. Thanks for up dating!

Say August 10th to end April has 38 Saturdays, add in around 6 midweek 'opportunities' to play under the lights. Lge & Cup plus South Challenge and Junior Cup shows it needs only a few bad weather breaks to buggar up the fixtures. A few midweek games early on may cut the backlog later on. Seems many are against playing midweek - which maybe the only answer to fulfill games. Can league games be played away from the home venues ? (On artificial maybe )

21 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Say August 10th to end April has 38 Saturdays, add in around 6 midweek 'opportunities' to play under the lights. Lge & Cup plus South Challenge and Junior Cup shows it needs only a few bad weather breaks to buggar up the fixtures. A few midweek games early on may cut the backlog later on. Seems many are against playing midweek - which maybe the only answer to fulfill games. Can league games be played away from the home venues ? (On artificial maybe )

I agree, my suggestion would be play the 1st round the week before the season starts in July (yes clubs who partake would loose a preseason game but is that really an issue!) then the 2nd round in August, 3rd round September. You can then run the 4th round in late March, Qtrs in April, Semi in May and final in June.

The other thing worth looking at imo is being stricter with clubs having games off and moving them sooner to another playable venue. The SJFA could help subsidise this for clubs rather than allowing 3/4 call offs (which would be substantially reduced using a timetable as above)

There is always more that can be done but the last 2 seasons we have declared a champion prior to the playoffs it’s just ironic that both seasons have been an unlicensed champion! 

55 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Rossvale & Pollok who took part as non-members notably not mentioned

49 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Rossvale & Pollok who took part as non-members notably not mentioned

Rossvale are already members and have been for a few years now.

Pollok have applied to participate in the Junior Cup as guests.

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I agree, my suggestion would be play the 1st round the week before the season starts in July (yes clubs who partake would loose a preseason game but is that really an issue!) then the 2nd round in August, 3rd round September. You can then run the 4th round in late March, Qtrs in April, Semi in May and final in June.

The other thing worth looking at imo is being stricter with clubs having games off and moving them sooner to another playable venue. The SJFA could help subsidise this for clubs rather than allowing 3/4 call offs (which would be substantially reduced using a timetable as above)

There is always more that can be done but the last 2 seasons we have declared a champion prior to the playoffs it’s just ironic that both seasons have been an unlicensed champion! 

The First Round of the Junior Cup is played on the same day as the preliminary round of the Scottish Cup where SFA Licensed Clubs enter the Scottish Cup. Thus giving the SFA Licensed clubs a bye in the First Round of the Junior Cup.

It would also be a bit much asking clubs to field a full squad of signed players in July when most of the clubs are still trying to sign up players and agree terms etc.

Are Clydebank the only West Premier team not playing in Scottish Junior Cup next season? I can hear the moans already when they have a free week 😂

Good to see a few of the East teams re-joining. Would be great to have more East teams and tier 5 teams in the Junior Cup. The Scottish Junior Cup must still have some appeal to clubs at this level to have 8 clubs wanting to join the competition. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Shannon said:

Are Clydebank the only West Premier team not playing in Scottish Junior Cup next season? I can hear the moans already when they have a free week 😂

Good to see a few of the East teams re-joining. Would be great to have more East teams and tier 5 teams in the Junior Cup. The Scottish Junior Cup must still have some appeal to clubs at this level to have 8 clubs wanting to join the competition. 

And you have Drumchapel Utd giving up their spot in the Strathclyde Demolition Cup, which was how they got access to the Scottish Cup via the Cup Winner's Shield a couple of years ago when they had a very successful run.

Edited by peasy23

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

And you have Drumchapel Utd giving up their spot in the Strathclyde Demolition Cup, which was how they got access to the Scottish Cup via the Cup Winner's Shield a couple of years ago when they had a very successful run.

Can't be many left in the Demolition Cup. 

I guess it could be run as a weekend tournament making full use of Broadwood.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

Can't be many left in the Demolition Cup. 

I guess it could be run as a weekend tournament making full use of Broadwood.

Let's just wait and see which teams are in the SJC and which are in the SDC. 😉 The deadline for WoSFL Club Annual Returns is today, ahead of the AGM tomorrow, amd clubs have to declare if they are entering the Scottish Junior Cup. The SJFA tweet yesterday only gave a list of teams joining the SJFA.

Edited by glensmad