Not sure Mitchell touched the ball with his hands in open play, however conceding twice from their only two chances is obviously not great. 

Decent going forward, scored 3, hit woodwork twice and about 8 balls from Fitzpatrick across the face of goal that just needed a touch. 

Of the new or returning guys Turner was excellent both as a number ten in the first half and then deeper lying after the subs. Chalmers was OK and MacKay bit disappointing. Ashcroft got skinned for the second goal I think. 

Need to up the intensity a bit but for game one that was acceptable. 

17 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Not sure Mitchell touched the ball with his hands in open play, however conceding twice from their only two chances is obviously not great. 

Decent going forward, scored 3, hit woodwork twice and about 8 balls from Fitzpatrick across the face of goal that just needed a touch. 

Of the new or returning guys Turner was excellent both as a number ten in the first half and then deeper lying after the subs. Chalmers was OK and MacKay bit disappointing. Ashcroft got skinned for the second goal I think. 

Need to up the intensity a bit but for game one that was acceptable. 

Reminds me of Zanatta very powderpuff

A win’s a win.   You’d like to see better, but when you look at the stats, it’s pretty plain it wouldn’t take much to turn that result into a five- or six-goal win.  

Hopefully over the next few games we will see new players settle in to the system and a bit more fluency.

Good to get the win, and we were pretty good going forward with our final ball letting us down too often - but not too bad for the first game of the season. Very clear we need defensive reinforcements if our second choice left back is Dan O’Reilly. I think our defence very much looked like they were still getting used to playing with each other. 

Turner excellent, bits to like about Chalmers, MacKay didn’t get involved enough to really show either way. Wasiri did alright at right back I thought.

Montrose were clinical and look a decent side, good luck to them for the season, 

I like Motherwell- they're a decent club. I wish more fans had turned out today though. 

Turned up late due to traffic in Edinburgh and the ticket office staff were good enough to get me into the away stand just for Well to score their first.. 
When you go away from the ground thinking "3-0 wasn't bad" that would sum up the game from a City point of view. We still can't defend headed goals which is a bit concerning. 

I suppose today was a "free hit" for both clubs. Wednesday against our dear old pals Clyde will be a more realistic test. 

After the game I took a wee jaunt to Baron's Haugh, I'd see the signs on previous visits and was curious. Who knew there was a rather lovely nature reserve at the back of Motherwell. 

More positives than negatives for me yesterday.

We were really on the front foot and should have had a few goals before Milne got beat then the Mo player set up their forward for a decent finish. 

Heads didn't drop and we got level before half-time.

Second half we kept at it and went ahead.

Then a few changes and Montrose produced another decent goal with Gardyne taking Ashcroft out of the play to setup their young sub for an accomplished finish.

Kept going and got a winner we deserved overall.

Turner was very good for me and Milne and Fitzpatrick weren't far behind.

Ashcroft looks like he'd win a world championship at head tennis and was involved for the winner knocking on a another good header from Milne on the other side of the 6 yard box.

He is maybe on the slow side but will win most duels in the air.

Chalmers looked quite classy and like Fitzy had licence to drift inside and have a dig when the opportunity arrived.

Subtle changes evident possibly due to the change of personnel certainly on the right hand side.

Mackay didn't do too much on his debut but wasn't far away and will get more into things as the season progresses.

We certainly have some great presence now at set-pieces with Muirhead, Graham, Milne, O'Reilly and Ashcroft all imposing figures for this division. Once Kyle gets into the swing of his set-pieces we could really profit from an area that was lacking last season.

TL; DR Early days but a lot more positives than negatives for me.

p.s. Hope the injury to Webster (7?) the Mo sub isn't too bad but he did look distressed. Speedy recovery.

Looking forward to the game on Wednesday. Edinburgh look a team down and out (already) and Clyde are looking on the up. I hope we lineup:

1. GK Kinnaer - reliable keeps
  2. RB Houston - can attack and defend 👌😎
  3. CB Hamilton - brick wall and captain
  4. CB McKay - composed on the ball, a set piece threat
  5. LB Robson - same as Houston
  6. CM Cuddihy - always a 8 out of 10
  7. CM Darren Lyon - seems to run the game and play some tidy passes
  8. CAM Connelly - could definitely bounce off big Logan
  9. RW Redfern - a tricky wee player, who has gelled with Houston already
  10. LW Scullion - just got a willingness to win the ball, is the heart of the team
  11. ST Dunachie - the big man has been brilliant while playing that role

2 hours ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Looking forward to the game on Wednesday. Edinburgh look a team down and out (already) and Clyde are looking on the up. I hope we lineup:

1. GK Kinnaer - reliable keeps
  2. RB Houston - can attack and defend 👌😎
  3. CB Hamilton - brick wall and captain
  4. CB McKay - composed on the ball, a set piece threat
  5. LB Robson - same as Houston
  6. CM Cuddihy - always a 8 out of 10
  7. CM Darren Lyon - seems to run the game and play some tidy passes
  8. CAM Connelly - could definitely bounce off big Logan
  9. RW Redfern - a tricky wee player, who has gelled with Houston already
  10. LW Scullion - just got a willingness to win the ball, is the heart of the team
  11. ST Dunachie - the big man has been brilliant while playing that role

Seems Dunachie was a handful up there but I don't think I'd be going into the first competitive game of the season with a defender starting up front ahead of 2 (could it be 3 if the worst kept secret in world football is confirmed beforehand...) out and out strikers.

Hopefully Kinnear's absence in the last couple of friendlies isn't a big issue, though Kennedy didn't stink the place out on Saturday. (D) Lyon not coming on was a surprise as well; I wonder if he felt something during the warm-up? I'd probably go:

Kinnear

Houston Howie Hamilton Robson

Cuddihy Grant McKay

Rennie Connell Scullion

However, I think it's absolutely wild that I've not got Redfern, Connolly and Docherty in there somewhere, so I fully expect it to be something different. Then you add Lyon, Leitch and hopefully a new striker. A great place for us to be in.

On 14/07/2024 at 01:00, tamthebam said:

After the game I took a wee jaunt to Baron's Haugh, I'd see the signs on previous visits and was curious. Who knew there was a rather lovely nature reserve at the back of Motherwell. 

Parts of Motherwell are lovely. Nature stuff especially.

5 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Murderwell

Fartdick Pishle

Cuntrose

Egrimburgh Shitty

I'm not having that. He was a Spartans fan. 

Help us out here Montrose fans.

Where is good to park? 

Given the weather forecast, does any of the terracing have a roof? I’m assuming the wee stand is for home fans only. 

What are the pies like? 

Where’s good for a pre match pint?

Cheers.

36 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Help us out here Montrose fans.

Where is good to park? 

Given the weather forecast, does any of the terracing have a roof? I’m assuming the wee stand is for home fans only. 

What are the pies like? 

Where’s good for a pre match pint?

Cheers.

You'll get more of a response to all of those questions on the Montrose thread. 

Any time I've been to Montrose we've had access to the stand. Terracing behind one of the goals is covered and certainly used to be unsegregated but unsure nowadays.

22 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Murderwell

Fartdick Pishle

Cuntrose

Egrimburgh Shitty

Cunts

Assuming this is final league table positions but you've forgotten Clyde so FTFY.