I'm hearing we put out pretty much a full strength squad, I can't imagine team familliarity is the major issue and if it is, I can't imagine that'll disappear in 3 weeks.

Schitting meine breeken

14 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Did Queen’s Park not win the top league in the late 18 hundreds? But probably played less than 36 games 

Queen's Park weren't in the league in the late 1800s. top flight or otherwise. They were elected to Division One for season 1900/01.

You're thinking of Rangers, 1898/99, who won all 18 games.

2 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Sure he got capped while at the dons ? 

He wasn’t first pick at Aberdeen a lot of the time

He only played about 20 games. 

Pretty sure he was never capped whilst at Aberdeen. 

He was a carthorse at Aberdeen. 

His best days were in Livingston’s back 3, alongside Halkett & another lad I can’t remember 

United remind me of Killie when they came back up - essentially a squad good enough to win the championship but not good enough for the premiership, but bizarrely a lot of these championship standard players are on longer contracts and you're stuck with them.

Killie survived mainly because they had a good manager and a star player in Danny Armstrong. Not sure United have either.

14 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Declan Gallagher was utter dog shite for Aberdeen, & that was 3 years ago. 

Gallagher was really good for St Mirren for the first half of the season. 2nd half he picked up more injuries and really slowed down and looked really cumbersome. 

Not sure he will cope with another season in the top league.  He will definitely be targeted by most managers in the league as a week point. 

I think Gallagher with Graham and Sevvy either side of him will be a decent back three.

I'll not regurgitate the tactical breakdown I've seen on twitter but Sevvy will be stepping into midfield more from the back which means we'll notionally have a back two of Gallagher and Graham.

Holt and Graham together just doesn't work.

Going by the analysis and what Goodwin has said, I'm worried that there's a system that's trying to be implemented that's confusing some of the players and we'll not see any fluidity and togetherness until it clicks for the squad as a whole.

If it ever clicks.

Treating the league cup as pre-season the way club consistently is stupid, all the goodwill that the club had built up vanishes in 2 hours.

The result was bad enough but some of the choices Goodwin made were baffling. Why is Thomson in midfield? Why is Middleton on the right when he doesn't have a right foot? Why go for a 1 up front formation with a striker like Moult, who has never played well without someone next to him up top?

as for the defenders, opposition fans talking about Gallagher are missing the point, he didn't play yesterday and doubt will be a consistent starter next year, did what was needed last season but looked sloth-like by February. Holt and Graham doesn't work and we're gonna need to figure out a way to account for Sevelj's weakness in the air, good on the ball and aggressive winning it on the deck but was bullied when the ball left the grass.

16 hours ago, Roboccop said:

Genuine question: what the hell Watts looked like a whale. Did he just eat close season. 

16 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Actually to be fair to him he's done a power of running over summer from what I've seen.

To the fridge?🤔

17 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Treating the league cup as pre-season the way club consistently is stupid, all the goodwill that the club had built up vanishes in 2 hours.

The result was bad enough but some of the choices Goodwin made were baffling. Why is Thomson in midfield? Why is Middleton on the right when he doesn't have a right foot? Why go for a 1 up front formation with a striker like Moult, who has never played well without someone next to him up top?

as for the defenders, opposition fans talking about Gallagher are missing the point, he didn't play yesterday and doubt will be a consistent starter next year, did what was needed last season but looked sloth-like by February. Holt and Graham doesn't work and we're gonna need to figure out a way to account for Sevelj's weakness in the air, good on the ball and aggressive winning it on the deck but was bullied when the ball left the grass.

Goodwin is out of his depth.

He was kept on by a club owner who knows sweet f**k all about Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Barring a miracle we are three weeks and a few hours away from fans calling for both Goodwin and Ogren to go.

Calling for the manager's/Ogren's heads is something of an annual ritual is it not?

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

United remind me of Killie when they came back up - essentially a squad good enough to win the championship but not good enough for the premiership, but bizarrely a lot of these championship standard players are on longer contracts and you're stuck with them.

Killie survived mainly because they had a good manager and a star player in Danny Armstrong. Not sure United have either.

We don't have a decent manager no and he will probably end up being sacked by November but anyone analysing United's chances in the premiership at this moment in time need to calm down. We are still awaiting at least another four signings and it's still pre-season so plenty of time for things to improve.