Just How Bad Could It Get ?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

I remember near the death in Paris what should have bee a dangerous header go straight to his gloves and thinking "that's it done". He looked like cool personified.

Yup, in my memory he was just a magnet for the ball.

Edited by TeeMan

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Sick of this circular debate, so decided to watch it in full at: 

My takeaway is that he had a quiet first half, then an increasingly pivotal role in the second half, intensifying as the Swedes got more and more desperate towards full time. I think the cumulative effect of the Swedish pressure, and Leighton's commanding response to it, is why his performance is so fondly remembered. 

Here's his main involvements:

2:40 - rushes out to collect when Dahlin thru on goal
56:05 - closes down angle on Thern
1:08:17 - good save from Blomqvist
    Interestingly, commentator says "He hadn't had a save up till then"
1:10:09 - punch away from a corner, quickly followed by...
1:10:14 - ...save from a drive from outside the box by Jonas Thern after seeing it late
1:24:11 - races to smother as Larsson readies to shoot into an empty net
1:25:31 - races out to smother and save when Kennet Andersson is thru one on one
1:31:00 - rushes out to punch away from Sweden players head
1:34:15 - commanding catch from corner (a few more of these, but more routine)

Kudos also to the Scotland defence, who put in some pretty awesome tackles as the pressure ramped up.

Also it's true that the Swedish finishing was infuriatingly bad - in that they had something like a dozen shots fizz wide.

Was at that game remember it well, some bounce when John McGinlay scored the winner. Had a look at his wiki page for old times sake 😅

image.png.65f90b870675b9ec717765fdacd0b129.png

2 hours ago, Pocketman said:

Leighton was solid and competent which for a Scotland goalkeeper is something that probably does stay in the memory. Your descriptions add a little drama to jazz up what is otherwise routine stops and punches in my view.  And I say this as someone with no axe to grind on this beyond it slightly irritates me (irrationally) when statements around that game invariably appear. Such as this first comment from a google search: 

image.thumb.png.43c37045f20f877a2a538e3675705cc4.png

Anyhow, trivial AF, I completely agree and entirely subjective depending on any emotional attachment particularly if at the game (which I wasn't which make my peeve even more irrational ha). 

Equally, it being my first ever Scotland game definitely makes me biased in favour of the "one Jim Leighton" thing!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Equally, it being my first ever Scotland game definitely makes me biased in favour of the "one Jim Leighton" thing!

similarly I was at this game and came away with the impression that Naismith (playing just behind Miller) won 100% in the air against a pretty tall Dutch defence. Have never seen the game back so this remains my view - no idea if was the case or not. The whole team I thought were excellent that night and very unlucky to lose - but overall a really good performance even if the result did I think end any hopes of qualifying. A shame Burley didn't get many more similar performances as that was a really good team in my view. As a manager Burley was in decline when he took over - wonder if we would have qualified with Clarke as manager of that team.

To bring it back to the thread topic, and not to trot out the tired "we raise our game" well worn cliche, but I feel that we will actually do this against Germany.  And even if we end up losing by the odd goal, a good performance will give momentum for the Switzerland game. I therefore don't see it being bad at all - a start would be a comfortable win against the Finns tomorrow night. At home, with as best a full team that we can put out, am quietly confident we will see that....

Edited by Pocketman

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Might have been my first game as well, I remember him being unbeatable. Did we discuss this before.

By first game do you mean attending or baton out working the front line of duty?

This all just comes down to feeling a bit spooked about the downturn in form since qualification was sealed up, and in particular about the amount of goals shipped, doesn't it? The two bad points though come down to (i) 2nd half vs Netherlands, (ii) all of the Northern Ireland game (that one was particularly hideous). My biggest criticism over this spell though was the decision to play France. Absolutely nothing gained from it, especially when it came amongst playing two other top 4 European nations. Having already played England in a friendly and not faring well, as well as the Spain qualifier, having France lined up in quick succession made little sense.

I think we'll ultimately do alright (and, ok, I'm not quite brave enough to expand on what *alright* means at this point, other than > 1 point), and it might be a net benefit to face Germany in the opener, *provided* we don't get scudded.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Might have been my first game as well, I remember him being unbeatable. Did we discuss this before.

By first game do you mean attending or baton out working the front line of duty?

The latter. It was me who clubbed you round the ear, ya wee shite! 😂

Edit: it does seem to have been a few posters' first games tho. You, me, @Lex @TheScarf @SlayerX

(Sorry if I've got any of those wrong)

Any others?

Edited by Gordopolis

28 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Edit: it does seem to have been a few posters' first games tho. You, me, @Lex @TheScarf @SlayerX

Any others?

It was indeed my first Scotland game.

Some might call me a Negative Norman from my advance comments and my confession that I have The Fear, but when I'm watching the team come onto the pitch my heart will be thumping with pride, when Flower of Scotland rings out I'll be blubbing like a wean and when the whistle blows I'll believe anything can happen

10 hours ago, Pocketman said:

Leighton was solid and competent which for a Scotland goalkeeper is something that probably does stay in the memory. Your descriptions add a little drama to jazz up what is otherwise routine stops and punches in my view.  And I say this as someone with no axe to grind on this beyond it slightly irritates me (irrationally) when statements around that game invariably appear. Such as this first comment from a google search: 

image.thumb.png.43c37045f20f877a2a538e3675705cc4.png

Anyhow, trivial AF, I completely agree and entirely subjective depending on any emotional attachment particularly if at the game (which I wasn't which make my peeve even more irrational ha). 

I didn't get to see that Sweden game, being in England and having no access to Sky (if they even showed it at the time), so I was reliant on the press for information about the game. The impression I got from it was that Sweden gave us a good battering, but somehow Jim Leighton kept us in it, and the Swedes were totally flummoxed about how they'd lost.

I did get to see the return match, thankfully, which was almost hilarious as Sweden were easily the better side and 2-0 up until the final ten minutes, when we suddenly sprang to life and were all over them. Game finished 2-1 and the head's gone might have been tremendous if we'd managed an equaliser  :P

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

I didn't get to see that Sweden game, being in England and having no access to Sky (if they even showed it at the time), so I was reliant on the press for information about the game. The impression I got from it was that Sweden gave us a good battering, but somehow Jim Leighton kept us in it, and the Swedes were totally flummoxed about how they'd lost.

I did get to see the return match, thankfully, which was almost hilarious as Sweden were easily the better side and 2-0 up until the final ten minutes, when we suddenly sprang to life and were all over them. Game finished 2-1 and the head's gone might have been tremendous if we'd managed an equaliser  :P

It was live on the BBC in Scotland, believe it or not.

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Any others?

A veritable whos who of posters, Scotland golden posting generation!

Likely opponents if we qualify from 3rd: Portugal, Belgium, winner of the Spain/Croatia/Italy group

If we come 2nd it’s the runner up of Spain/Croatia/Italy

If somehow we win the group it’s probably Denmark 

56 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Likely opponents if we qualify from 3rd: Portugal, Belgium, winner of the Spain/Croatia/Italy group

If we come 2nd it’s the runner up of Spain/Croatia/Italy

If somehow we win the group it’s probably Denmark 

IMG_1519.jpeg

4 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

It was live on the BBC in Scotland, believe it or not.

Doesn't that feel like a long time ago.

They used to show some Scotland games in England too.