Local Urban Legends

A post on another thread about an urban 'myth' from uni had me thinking about the various urban legends doing the rounds out there.  The well-entrenched one that pops straight to mind for me is Marischal College in Aberdeen being Hitler's favourite building in the UK, which he would have made a residence or HQ had he won WW2.  I don't think any student can be in Aberdeen for over a week and not hear that one.

I overheard somebody in Banchory say that it has the widest pavement in the UK after somebody beside him said "tell me something I don't know".  I feel both proud and guilty about that one as I fabricated that blatant lie when passing an infilled bus stop and added it to the Banchory Wikipedia page when bored one afternoon.  Some mod took it down a long time back once they started taking referencing seriously, but I'm entertained that at least one person still thinks it's true.

Anyway, which urban myths/legends have you heard from your part of the land?  Whether it's half the town or just a handful of people who genuinely think it's legit, let's get them shared...

Just now, Crawford Bridge said:

Glasgow has the funniest people and best banter on planet Earth. 

Every single time I have cause to visit Glasgow, I cannot wait to leave.

Anyway, it was rumoured for years that there were vampires in the basement of my old school. In all that time no one thought to check and debunk this.

There was a chippy in Leven (now closed) whose owner apparently had a massive cock.

Everyone at my secondary school was aware of this rumour.

The mind boggles.

32 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Anyway, it was rumoured for years that there were vampires in the basement of my old school. In all that time no one thought to check and debunk this.

I know what you mean. 

I have to go there a couple of times per month. I'm always delighted to be boarding the train at Queen Street and getting away from the tedious, nosey locals. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

21 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I know what you mean. 

I have to go there a couple of times per month. I'm always delighted to be boarding the train at Queen Street and getting away from the tedious, nosey locals. 

Always a massive sigh of relief when heading north or east bound past Baillieston. Never understood the fascinating, it's shite

Edited by Spyro

33 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

There was a chippy in Leven (now closed) whose owner apparently had a massive cock.

Everyone at my secondary school was aware of this rumour.

The mind boggles.

"Single white puddin', please........fnaar, fnaar..."

The auld wife who had the sweetie shop on the corner on the way to primary school was an actual witch who could put a curse on you. 

tbf, this was Falkirk so maybe not a myth.

There's a house in Dundee at number 2 Roseangle called The Murder House as an old retired doctor and his wife were killed by a slater hammer weilded by a "loner" type who was trying to rob them

It happened in the 80s and the culprit is still alive in an institution.

The house still lies empty which is weird in itself as it's a beautiful old building in a very prominent place (literally across the road from the main Dundee university building) so you think someone would have done something with it.

It's only been getting my head filled with the urban myths about the place that gives me a real fear and foreboding whenever I see it as I'm the 90s I went to an illegal rave in there and it wasn't scary when I was off my nut-nut on a disco biscuit.

There is something weird about it. 

10 minutes ago, Big Gus said:

There's a house in Dundee at number 2 Roseangle called The Murder House as an old retired doctor and his wife were killed by a slater hammer weilded by a "loner" type who was trying to rob them

It happened in the 80s and the culprit is still alive in an institution.

The house still lies empty which is weird in itself as it's a beautiful old building in a very prominent place (literally across the road from the main Dundee university building) so you think someone would have done something with it.

It's only been getting my head filled with the urban myths about the place that gives me a real fear and foreboding whenever I see it as I'm the 90s I went to an illegal rave in there and it wasn't scary when I was off my nut-nut on a disco biscuit.

There is something weird about it. 

I've heard about that case. The murderer went down south and killed again before he was apprehended. 

28 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

The auld wife who had the sweetie shop on the corner on the way to primary school was an actual witch who could put a curse on you. 

tbf, this was Falkirk so maybe not a myth.

Probably sick of everyone buying all her stock of Crunchies.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

I've heard about that case. The murderer went down south and killed again before he was apprehended. 

I think he killed 6 all in but yeah he was caught in a week just doing the same thing.

The case is widely covered if you Google it.

Most of the urban myths around it relate to hauntings and the fact the guy is still alive.

The fact nothing has been done with the property in all the time is also a real strange one. 

It's a weird building too looks like a wee cottage from the front but it's 3 storeys high of massive Victorian style rooms when you look at it from the back 

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Having long ago been punched, and kicked into the gutter by a couple of passing strangers ( who had just exited the Electric Garden night club, presumably having failed to attract a 'lumber' ), and done some listening to Billy Connolly's and Kevin Bridges' stories of being accosted by a stranger whilst waiting at a bus stop.. ( ... see you, I'm gonnie kill you..)   the Glaswegian 'banter'and sense of humour is lost on me.

1 minute ago, Dan Steele said:

Well, you say buying...

Kind of knew only Falkirk fans would get the reference.

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

^ ^ ^

Nae patter