Germany - Scotland

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We all know that Germany are full of great players, but as the opposition you don't stand about admiring them. If you don't have players that are as good as your opponents, you get in their faces, loads of aggression, loads of tackles flying in. We had none of that, absolutely none, apart from that one Porteous challenge. You also need a goalkeeper with strong wrists.

That's all meaningless though. You watch Musiala for Bayern and there's players going in shin high on him, and two men on him, and he still gets through. Kroos has spent his whole career the same way.

If you go aggressive and pressing then you're effectively going 1v1 too, which is what I think Clarke wanted to avoid as our defence can't do that.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Setting up as he did last night made the job a lot easier for the Germans.

Sitting way too deep.

The freedom of the Allianz Arena down the flanks because of the narrow 4 man midfield.

Zero protection from said midfield to support the defence.

Lumping the ball up to the 5'9" Adams against the 6'3" Rudiger and 6'5" Tah.

Zero support for Adams from the midfield.

No-one is denying that it was always going to be hard but those tactics were just appalling.

Add to that our players collectively did not turn up and it was a recipe for disaster.

I'm not calling for Clarke's head - but I hope he learns from this for the next 2 games. 

Yeah he got it wrong. I'd have started Gilmour instead of McTominay to at least try and keep the ball. But we've an issue where Germany can sacrifice their right side to stunt our left, and a midfielder to stunt McGregor (or Gilmour), and then that's us done while they still carry threats.

There's a difference between top teams in qualifying (when they know there's multiple chances), and the sudden death nature of competition football. I don't think that's appreciated enough so people are comparing apples and oranges. If we met Spain in this they'd look a different side. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Salmond, Sturgeon and now Swinney might say differently........

Sent them homewards (to Bute House) tae think again.

You do get that it's King Edward II being sent homewards to think again, right?

For years the SFA refused to use Flower of Scotland because they saw it as too much in support of independence. They stuck with Scotland the Brave, which is a truly awful bit of doggerel written by an Evening Times columnist. Donnie Munro wouldn't sing the third verse of Flower of Scotland at Hampden.

Fun fact, Edward II apparently died thanks to having a red hot poker rammed up his jacksie. 

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

The American anthem is about their war of independence with England, same as ours.

The war of 1812 actually

Just now, Leith Green said:

We have just been skelped all over the place in our first match and people are having ludicrous arguments about a song..........

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Aye but Bannockburn etc etc etc.  

Anyway, did anyone else waken up this morning and have a few moments of peace before remembering that it wasn't a nightmare, last night really did happen?

I needed a lie in but I'm too wound up.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Anyway, did anyone else waken up this morning and have a few moments of peace before remembering that it wasn't a nightmare, last night really did happen?

I needed a lie in but I'm too wound up.

Standard morning after following a horrendous result.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

We have just been skelped all over the place in our first match and people are having ludicrous arguments about a song..........

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

It's just one small line of discussion. This isn't a committee of inquiry, it's only a message board, we can talk about a lot of things at once whether they're important or irrelevant.

50 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Flower of Scotland has  always has been dour and shite , change it to yes sir I can boogie 🤣🚀

Upbeat! That would get us in a proper good mood, dancing!Mise, 's toigh leam! I'd go for The Ball of Kirriemuir

There are ways to lose games....

And last night wasn't the way.

I thought we'd likely get beaten. But thought we would go down fighting, giving them a right battle in midfield, getting a few balls into their box from set pieces, a couple of speculative shots, etc.

It was the tepid nature of it that was just brutal to watch and we mostly just stood and watched some very good players stroke the ball around.

1st goal - too much space, no holding midfielder in the position where shot came from. More pressure was needed on the player before cross came in. Weak hand from keeper. 

2nd goal - too much ball watching and players jumping to try and get touch on the ball. Hold position, deny space. Create an obstacle to get ball around instead of essentially moving out the way.

3rd goal - awful challenge. Definite penalty. But before that, Musiala running with ball in midfield skipping past players... foul him. Someone tug his jersey, take the booking, then everyone get into position and defend a set piece.

And that was game gone.

Really all of the 4 that started in midfield should have questions asked and a strong case to drop them all. Gilmour, McLean, Armstrong and Jack can all state a case they would not have done worse. Our "strongest" area was non existent last night.

And I quite like Flower of Scotland!

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought it was a daft remark when I read it this morning.

We should have been capable of doing a lot better than we did.  It's silly to see our side as on a par with theirs though.  

I was fairly pessimistic about tonight even though I was looking forward to it.

It turns out, however, that I wasn't nearly pessimistic enough.  An absolutely pitiful display.

Things have come to a pretty pass when M T isn't pessimistic enough...

Taken from BBC comments "When the top 2 clubs in Scotland are saturated with foreign player, not just 1 or 2, there is something fundamentally wrong with grassroots coaching"

9 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Taken from BBC comments "When the top 2 clubs in Scotland are saturated with foreign player, not just 1 or 2, there is something fundamentally wrong with grassroots coaching"

At least that’s a better starting point, than the national anthem. Saying that, it’s likely easier to write a more positive and catchier anthem than to create more international class players.

15 minutes ago, Seumas Abrach said:

Upbeat! That would get us in a proper good mood, dancing!Mise, 's toigh leam! I'd go for The Ball of Kirriemuir

+1 for this

A boy from Kirrie scoring (almost) last night, too.