Germany - Scotland

1 hour ago, Doc Holiday said:

Said it last night started the game like it was the 95th minute,  one up top pointless when sitting so deep, just f**k it and set up with two strikers and give Germany something to think about, 

After 30 minutes, we switched to a 352 and it improved the effectiveness of our press, but didn't address the rest of our game in any meaningful way. We still struggled to hold it up, beat their press, defend our box and build attacks. It wasn't a tactical thing for me. It was a performance level thing, the players didn't play well.   

Keeper suspect at the first goal. Midfield anonymous. Adams too isolated. Porteous’ wild challenge and sending off killed the game before half time, if it wasn’t dead and buried beforehand.

Outplayed and outclassed.

Fingers crossed for a much improved performance against the Swiss - who are no mugs.

Hopefully we’re still in with a shout of qualifying by the time I get to Stuttgart for the Hungary game…

1 minute ago, Doc Holiday said:

What's the Switzerland side like? 

Same as the last 30 years, beige-ing their way to tournaments without anyone noticing then doing not very much when they get there. Qualified behind Romania with lots of draws.

24hrs ago I was pretty confident we could get something off them...

The night wasn’t a total write off for me at least, karaoke in the pub afterwards lifted some spirits.

Edited by AJF

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

The night wasn’t a total right off for me at least, karaoke in the pub afterwards lifted some spirits.

Had a brilliant time yesterday as well. Shame about the football bit but I can’t believe how friendly and good the atmosphere has been tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's all meaningless though. You watch Musiala for Bayern and there's players going in shin high on him, and two men on him, and he still gets through. Kroos has spent his whole career the same way.

If you go aggressive and pressing then you're effectively going 1v1 too, which is what I think Clarke wanted to avoid as our defence can't do that.

Yeah he got it wrong. I'd have started Gilmour instead of McTominay to at least try and keep the ball. But we've an issue where Germany can sacrifice their right side to stunt our left, and a midfielder to stunt McGregor (or Gilmour), and then that's us done while they still carry threats.

There's a difference between top teams in qualifying (when they know there's multiple chances), and the sudden death nature of competition football. I don't think that's appreciated enough so people are comparing apples and oranges. If we met Spain in this they'd look a different side. 

I'm not talking about being aggressive in pressing, I mean being aggressive when you're faced with an opponent. The Germans may well have still got through us, but you don't stand back and watch them going through you.

2 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

"Never a red"

#Moron

We were in the pub last night and as soon as he did it I said "thats a pen" . When it went to slow motion every single one of my group said "thats a red too".

HT in the toilets, there were still guys going "thought it was a solid tackle"......................

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN