Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

We’ve been here before. The last couple of tournaments (albeit with a couple of decades in between) have went - lose first game, draw second game…you know the rest.

Can we get the win this time? Can we qualify for the first time ever?

How will the game go?

With Tierney missing, what formation should we go for?

Who plays, who doesn’t?

Playing Ralston won't do us any good.

Hungarians look like brutes and will bully any weak links. McKenna should be on, played well when he came on last night and has the physique with it.

I'd try Adams and Shankland on together, at least for part of the game.

Quite looking forward to this. A draw eliminates both teams, so it shouldn't be that. A win would put us through and a win for them would probably put Hungary through looking at how the other groups are going. Should be a wide open game then.

McKenna will be in for Tierney but I can't see any other changes from the team last night. Expect the Hungary manager to have done his homework and expect to see a lot of through balls aimed in behind Tony Ralston.

Therefore there's no chance we will be keeping a clean sheet, it's just a question of how many we can stick in at the other end.

4-3 Scotland

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lex said:

Quite looking forward to this. A draw eliminates both teams, so it shouldn't be that. A win would put us through and a win for them would probably put Hungary through looking at how the other groups are going. Should be a wide open game then.

McKenna will be in for Tierney but I can't see any other changes from the team last night. Expect the Hungary manager to have done his homework and expect to see a lot of through balls aimed in behind Tony Ralston.

Therefore there's no chance we will be keeping a clean sheet, it's just a question of how many we can stick in at the other end.

4-3 Scotland

I suppose it’ll depend on who else is carrying knocks from last night, in terms of team changes. I would have thought he may have to freshen things up a bit. 

The lack of squad depth becomes a lot more noticeable when we get to tournaments and have to play three decent quality teams in a week, or thereabouts.

It would be nice if we had a decent alternative to some of the players.

Edited by Scary Bear

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I suppose it’ll depend on who else is carrying knocks from last night, in terms of team changes. I would have thought he may have to freshen things up a bit. 

Doesn't seem the Clarke way, he doesn't like to change things unless absolutely necessary, as we seen last night. He thinks we played well last so I can't see him doing any tinkering unless there has been any other injuries picked up.  We will likely have a defence of:

Gunn

Ralston-Hendry-Hanley-McKenna-Robertson

Those Hungary strikers are going to be licking their lips. 

Edited by Lex

In a game where both teams must win, I expect to see the same improved effort levels we displayed against the Swiss over the Germany game, and I definitely expect to see Steve Clarke use his substitutions better, and in a way designed to win the game. He simply has to switch from his usual mindset. I hesitate to use the word ‘negative’, but it certainly approaches the negative end of the spectrum. I would also expect, that if Ralston makes an appearance, it’s at the airport to catch an early flight home to Lennoxtown. The Andy Murray Tierney injury surely kyboshes that prospect though. I said on the Swiss thread that we needed to win the Swiss game, because this is all set up for us to be 1-0 up late on, and the biggest of boots to the haw-maws is administered… most likely by Rag & Bone Man on the 90+2 mark. Hopefully not, hopefully this time we get a 1-0 win… only question is who in the Hungarian team grabs the inevitable Scotland OG. 

3-1 Hungary for me. Similar to the Swiss game we come out flying and score, they equalise later as we sit deeper and deeper then they pick us off on the break when we start crossing the halfway line again in the 86th minute.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Thought Switzerland were a fair bit better than Hungary.  

I can see the Hungry Hungary Hippo coming on or even starting, but I think Hanley et al would rather prefer that.  

Teed up perfectly for a good old fashioned Scotlanding.

Hope we can do it but I know in my heart of hearts we will end up with yon big Mag Yardley coming off the bench and winning it for them, setting up meme after meme in the process.

Cant fucking wait, all the same.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

We’ve been here before. The last couple of tournaments (albeit with a couple of decades in between) have went - lose first game, draw second game…you know the rest.

Can we get the win this time? Can we qualify for the first time ever?

How will the game go?

With Tierney missing, what formation should we go for?

Who plays, who doesn’t?

Tierney's absence does open up the possibility of playing with a flat four and getting Christie on the pitch in addition to the others in midfield. The basic premise of the formation we've been using is to get Tierney and Robertson playing at the same time. If one's not available, and we've no Dykes to use as the front man either, then other options should be considered. He's occasionally used a 4 before when one of the left backs has been out.

If we stick with the formation I doubt he changes anything. McKenna obviously starts for Tierney. I'd consider Shankland but if we're playing a solo striker I imagine he'll at least start Adams.

If we change to a flat four I assume it would be Hanley and Hendry in the middle. Certainly Hendry. Hanley may depend on whether he can actually play 225 minutes in 10 days. If not then McKenna might start. Five in midfield presumably allows Christie to play a free role behind Adams / Shankland. I can't see him going to 4-4-2 and fielding wingers and, in reality that still means dropping a couple of the established midfielders.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Well not quite necessarily. Lets see how the other results go this week. It probably does eliminate us. It definitely eliminates them. There are a couple of scenarios where a draw would do us though.

We're winning this.

McSauce to do a number on Szoboszlai, McGinn to get his mojo back, Tony Ralston to get an assist.

Hearts fans to still complain that their special boys didn't play.

Assuming the unlikely scenarios mentioned above don't play out and a draw does eliminate both teams (and this is known by kick off on Sunday) this is potentially one of my favourite type of matches where a draw is no use to either team and if it's level with ten minutes to go it's absolute carnage as both sides pile forward.

Bit different given the team I support will be playing in it though.

As I said on the Swiss thread, I can see the case for a back 4 and it's probably what I'd go with as I think it gets more of our best players on the pitch, but I would expect Clarke to stick with the usual shape and just put McKenna in for Tierney. Maybe if Hanley is goosed due to lack of game time we go to a 4 with McKenna and Hendry in the middle.

One thing I've thought about but not read anywhere is assuming has Gilmour passed any concussion tests, I'm pretty sure he came off as he had taken a bang to the head. Would be very Euro 2020 if we played crap in the first game, brought Gilmour in for the second and then had him ruled out of the third.

I don't think there's a team who I'd get greater pleasure out of seeing humiliated than this horrible lot, so if it's us who can do it then I might literally wet myself. 

Hungary will likely need goals, not just a win, so they'll have to go for us; sneaking a late win is pretty risky for a side sitting on 0 points and a -4 goal difference. Yes, it's possible it could be enough, but they're asking for heartbreak if that's what they aim for. We'll need to somehow tighten up at the back unless the midfield is on scintillating form and keeps pushing them back. There was a lot of sloppiness against the Swiss, and they're probably a bit pissed that they didn't take more advantage.

I've a horrible feeling this could be a draw, with us either struggling to score or conceding soft goals. They'll be legends if they can pull off the win, not because it's a great result in itself, but for having the mental fortitude to do what others haven't managed. Best of luck to them.