Middle class Scottish things

Just now, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Arguing about how working class you are and how poor you were growing up. 

I was too poor growing up to argue about how working class I was.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Not had that. Sounds good though. Used to like a sugar sandwich. 

When I was a kid (pause for obvious jokes) it was quite common to see rhubarb growing wild.  Lots of folk grew it in there gardens and it must be one of those plants that spread easily.

The sourness of the rhubarb contrasting with the sweetness of the sugar is still something I remember.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

When I was a kid (pause for obvious jokes) it was quite common to see rhubarb growing wild.  Lots of folk grew it in there gardens and it must be one of those plants that spread easily.

The sourness of the rhubarb contrasting with the sweetness of the sugar is still something I remember.

090959de-bdbc-48bf-932c-1853b946dcf0_tex

Yeah, I can remember rhubarb being something that was just dotted about the place too. It's a creepy fucker of a plant, so maybe they all got summoned back to their home planet, outside of a few captives being held and cloned in the Rhubarb Triangle.

It's fucking magic with digestive biscuits, but you also have to dump an obscene amount of sugar on it if you don't want your toes to curl.

Just now, scottsdad said:

My folks grew rhubarb for decades. At this time of year we're all eating it non stop. Jams, crumbles, stewed...

I've noticed a few rhubarb soft drinks have appeared in recent years; they're quite nice, but a bit weak for my liking. More a hint of rhubarb than a full-throated rhubarb roar.

This used to be a common bit of trivia, but I haven't heard it mentioned in a long time - for crowd scenes in plays/TV/movies, it used to be common for background actors to be asked to mutter "rhubarb" to each other as it sounds like conversation without distracting the audience with discernible dialogue. Blackadder lampshaded this in one episode where they cut to a busy scene where all the characters were clearly exclaiming "RHUBARB!" to each other.

I believe @welshbairn has experience of the world of greasepaint, so may be able to confirm, or castigate me for repeating a myth.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've noticed a few rhubarb soft drinks have appeared in recent years; they're quite nice, but a bit weak for my liking. More a hint of rhubarb than a full-throated rhubarb roar.

This used to be a common bit of trivia, but I haven't heard it mentioned in a long time - for crowd scenes in plays/TV/movies, it used to be common for background actors to be asked to mutter "rhubarb" to each other as it sounds like conversation without distracting the audience with discernible dialogue. Blackadder lampshaded this in one episode where they cut to a busy scene where all the characters were clearly exclaiming "RHUBARB!" to each other.

I believe @welshbairn has experience of the world of greasepaint, so may be able to confirm, or castigate me for repeating a myth.

A full- throated rhubarb roar. That’s making me smile.  

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I've got a vague memory of it, but as a kid well before working in theatre. We'd go rhubarb rhubarb to each other to take the piss out of boring adult conversations, I think in the family rather than at school, but it's been a long time.. 

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I was told they did that because of the mouth movements associated with saying rhubarb sort of covers all the sounds that would be made I'm normal conversation.