Middle class Scottish things

Harvey Nics as they call it.

Archerfield, Cameron House, St Andrews Bay. Aspiring middle class, trash cash venues.

Rugby, rental properties and holidays in Dubai.

Voting for Alex Cole-Hamilton.

Working in Edinburgh’s financial sector.

Charity auctions at the Sheraton, Prestonfield House etc.

Miller and Carter (posh Wetherspoons)

Golf.

39 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Archerfield, Cameron House, St Andrews Bay. Aspiring middle class, trash cash venues.

Golf.

I did the table service for a charity auction at Prestonfield House one time, and while clearing glasses at the end of the night there was a young lady in tears with a signed, framed rugby shirt crying about how she couldn't afford to go on holiday that year now. Ha ha ha. 

Still, was all for charity. They probably raised almost as much as they spent on hats and wine. 

2 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

Golf.

By Archerfield are you meaning Gullane or is there another Archerfield? 

I went to a charity auction in the Sheraton in May, I didn’t feel particularly middle class.

Genuine middle classes with cash don't flaunt it, I've worked in plenty of their houses.

There's a world of difference between people who drive around in a 15 year old Golf, while owning a big place in The Grange and a summer house in Barbados.....and those desperados who think buying a jetski to tow behind the G Class Merc they park outside their new build Cala home makes them middle class.

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

By Archerfield are you meaning Gullane or is there another Archerfield? 

I went to a charity auction in the Sheraton in May, I didn’t feel particularly middle class.

I didn’t realise there was more than one Archerfield. I was referring to the one on the easterly road out from Gullane frequented by “Edinburgh trash cash” who have Range Rovers and go to Dubai on holiday.

Is there another Archerfield?

Real money people with “class” play at Luffness or Muirfield.

2 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I didn’t realise there was more than one Archerfield. I was referring to the one on the easterly road out from Gullane frequented by “Edinburgh trash cash” who have Range Rovers and go to Dubai on holiday.

Garry O'Connor had a place at Archerfield back in the day.......before the crashed Ferrari incident !

19 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I don’t know if there’s another one - I just didn’t think the one you’d mentioned was that well known. I take the kids there for the fairy trail fairly often, I was there 2 weeks ago. There’s serious money down there and in North Berwick. Way beyond middle class sort of money!

When they were building the new Archerfield Country club there was an open day as they'd discovered a mediaeval house. It was basically a but n' ben with folk in one room and cattle in the other. 

The house was covered over again by a fairway. 

I suppose the poor peasant who lived there might have looked at the rich classes teeing off and thought "not much has changed in 600 years"

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yip, almost two and a half years.

I struggle with the heat here during the summer but I sure as f**k would prefer that to moving back home. I expect that to be more the case if I am lucky enough to survive to your age. Fair play to you, you mad old Arab b*****d.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I struggle with the heat here during the summer but I sure as f**k would prefer that to moving back home. I expect that to be more the case if I am lucky enough to survive to your age. Fair play to you, you mad old Arab b*****d.

Yeah we certainly don’t miss the Scottish weather.  Going back in about three weeks (four days in London then a week in Dundee whilst some of the family are over here) but would never visit Scotland outwith the Summer months.

It’s not practical to lie out in the sunshine all day or eat/drink as you might if on holiday but it’s a far more pleasant life style.  Despite popular myth we pay more income tax here because the amount of allowance before paying tax is significantly lower than it is in the U.K.