Middle class Scottish things

30 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Using working class/older Scottish slang that even working class people don’t use much any more. “Swally/bevvy/tatties”. Always seems to be the Glasgow uni accent types that do it 

i'll give you the first two, but a tattie is a tattie

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Only in Scotland (IMO) do so many people stridently refuse the idea that they may have benefited from social mobility to live a patently different lifestyle than either their parents or their peers from earlier in life. It shouldn't be flaunted or treated like some individual act of heroism either, but the refusal to accept and reflect on objective differences makes Scottish society and particularly its politics unusual. 

This is aimed at you and anyone else who wants to/can answer

How are we different from other countries? Why are we different from other countries?

2 hours ago, HK Hibee said:

I think the whole premise of this thread highlights why the UK, Scotland is fucked. Too much focus on where people came from rather than what they are as people. 

Clearly a lot of smart, successful people on this forum and thread who make a good living and have great lives. But good forbid that you admit that you have improved yourself 

the class system, royalty is a complete mindfuck to me.  Who gives a fucking shit if people go on skiing holidays or eat cheese.  Are they guid c***s you would have a pint with or not. - that is what is important. 

Seriously - do other countries not have things that are regarded as “posh” and things that aren’t?

33 minutes ago, Peil said:

genuinely perplexed then, cos thats how everyone in Tarbolton said it - none of the weegie 'tottie' nonsense.

I usually only prenounce the first one - tah-'eh

Only heard borderers and Invernesians use the o, both for different reasons! 

40 minutes ago, shahid khan said:

Electric car (Tesla mostly)

Kids with names like Rowan, Lachlan, Struan, Katie who go to scouts.

Cycling holidays in France.

House has a name and no number.

Are extremely boring 

I work with a guy who got an electric car and kept going on about it. Was and still is the most boring chat possible

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Seriously - do other countries not have things that are regarded as “posh” and things that aren’t?

In all seriousness, living in Belgium, what he says I consider to be correct. I don't know how to explain but I come from a stereotypical west end of Glasgow family but I get it. No one pretends to be working class when they are not, which is absolutely an Scottish/British thing. Yes there are posh, but they tend to be posher than some of the suggestions here. Although I would say having also lived in Sweden, there are some similarities there. 

Also coming from the stereotypical middle class family some of the suggestions are terrible.