Hope for Independence

2 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

I’m starting to get over it.  As I see it, there are 2 options for the next couple of years.  Either:

1. Labour make things demonstrably better than they are at the moment. Regardless of your views on independence, that’s got to be a good thing; or

2.  Nothing really changes and It is even more apparent that the only way to move Scotland forward is to become independent.  

I think the second option is the more likely tbh. 

They also have 2 years not to do anything particularly controversial while (probably) slowly starting to makes things better. 

A great unknown is of course 'events'. Looks like the nightmare of a Trump Presidency, European countries going more far-right, who knows what Putin will be be up to by then etc. All of these will have an impact on the UK and Labour's foreign policy choices.

But, again...domestically, don't do anything stupid, and don't get caught up in any madness led by Trump.

Meanwhile, the SNP would need to also be demonstrating an 'improved' performance going towards the Holyrood elections.

Labour will enjoy a honeymoon 9 months to a year and then financial markets will begin to stagnate.

Then, as he did with Blair, Murdoch will turn on Starmer and Labour and the media, which is 95% tory owned will follow suit.

And then we will get the Independence wagon back on track.

16 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Labour's foreign policy choices.

In what way are these going to be different from the Tories? 

22 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Labour will enjoy a honeymoon 9 months to a year and then financial markets will begin to stagnate.

Then, as he did with Blair, Murdoch will turn on Starmer and Labour and the media, which is 95% tory owned will follow suit.

And then we will get the Independence wagon back on track.

The Tories will choose a new leader that is closely associated with the previous government - such as Braverman or Badenoch.

Their poll ratings will not improve until they choose someone who is not.

Then the papers will start backing the new face of the party.

I can understand why people of a particular political perspective are feeling a bit low at the moment, but the idea that the campaign for Independence is dead is simply not the case.

The Tory-Lite supporters and their Unionist fellow travellers may be having their day in the sun at the moment but things will change.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can understand why people of a particular political perspective are feeling a bit low at the moment, but the idea that the campaign for Independence is dead is simply not the case.

The Tory-Lite supporters and their Unionist fellow travellers may be having their day in the sun at the moment but things will change.

Unionists seem to have had this weird idea that independence was about Salmond and Sturgeon having some kind of mesmeric effect on the populace, and the whole thing would collapse without them. Now that the SNP's having a shiter, this is presumably proof of that to them. To put it in terms that they're likely to understand, the fact is that the SNP could be liquidated tomorrow and independence supporters would TUPE over to a new, or existing, party that supports independence. Their best bet for the future seems to be that the new generation of young fascists are also Unionist, which...is quite something to hope for.

If they genuinely want to affect the popularity of independence, Labour will no doubt have some ideas for highlighting the Union's positives, other than just meaningless platitudes about nebulously being "at the heart of the Union" and sticking a few Jocks in the cabinet.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Unionists seem to have had this weird idea that independence was about Salmond and Sturgeon having some kind of mesmeric effect on the populace, and the whole thing would collapse without them. Now that the SNP's having a shiter, this is presumably proof of that to them. To put it in terms that they're likely to understand, the fact is that the SNP could be liquidated tomorrow and independence supporters would TUPE over to a new, or existing, party that supports independence. Their best bet for the future seems to be that the new generation of young fascists are also Unionist, which...is quite something to hope for.

If they genuinely want to affect the popularity of independence, Labour will no doubt have some ideas for highlighting the Union's positives, other than just meaningless platitudes about nebulously being "at the heart of the Union" and sticking a few Jocks in the cabinet.

At the risk of repeating myself, the next five years of Labour doing very little to improve things will be a great bonus for the Independence movement.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

At the risk of repeating myself, the next five years of Labour doing very little to improve things will be a great bonus for the Independence movement.

Considering how Labour's idea was that devolution would kill Scottish nationalism, I'm still slightly in awe of how everybody's answer to that not happening has been "maybe if we just ignore it it'll go away?"

Then again, everybody's answer to the rise of fascism has been "perhaps if we all keep moving rightwards, knowing that it will improve nothing that people are pissed off about, that'll keep them happy?"

On 05/07/2024 at 05:45, Mastermind said:

Mastermind here, just checking if we are independent yet? The journey is taking quite some time if not. Have a great day cybernats.

The PnB equivalent of a 17yo clad in fake Stone Island sticking his Union Bears sticker on a public toilet cistern. 

On 07/07/2024 at 13:07, Granny Danger said:

And a great bonus for hitler I mean farage

Labours first 5 days in power and they look like making a real shop front of devolution.

Carry on in this vein and they have less than zero chance of taking Holyrood in 2 years.

More spending powers for the Scottish Office announced by Ian Murray during a radio interview there. Bypassing the devolved parliament seems to be on the cards. I would expect this to cause friction.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Labours first 5 days in power and they look like making a real shop front of devolution.

Carry on in this vein and they have less than zero chance of taking Holyrood in 2 years.

They are genuinely as thick as pigshit

On 07/07/2024 at 12:43, Granny Danger said:

Not in our lifetime they won’t. It’s dead in the water for 20 years minimum.

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

The SNP of course, have made such a good job of devolution. Less than zero chance you say! I really hope you’re not a betting man. Flynn said they would increase the number of seats at Westminster, they lost shed loads. At least ALBA are doing well!!

I absolutely get the desire for independence. 

I still don’t however see - 12 years after it was first mooted as a possibility - any credible answers as to the reality of the practicalities of how it might all pan out. 

Those that hitched their hopes to the post-2014 SNP? I think their leaders have been proven as having been over promoted from the 6th form common room.