El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

14 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Are you trying to say Italy in 2021 were in any way dull? They scored 13 goals that tournament (granted played an extra game) and although I don't disagree with your overall point their games were more entertaining than Spain in 2012.

If that's your opinion then fair enough, each to their own, but I couldn't disagree more. Spain 2008-12 is the international team I have most enjoyed watching in my life and the 2012 final was their signature performance. I found Italy's team of 2021 to be fairly typical and nothing outstanding, apart from in defence.

We just weren't good enough and even when the equaliser went in, I  felt certain we would lose.  Spain's midfield were better at getting into space and holding their line to receive the ball, not dropping back.  The best team in the competition won.  Congratulations to Spain.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Mark Lawrenson at minute 1 of Germany England is still the peak of "how many of Country X players would get in this england side" punditry and may never be topped

Bold Lawro claimed one, *maybe* two germany players if including the goalkeeper would make the england lineup (yes, prime fucking Manuel Neuer as a *maybe* & I think it was still David fucking James in goal at the time) 

Trying to think what is a wilder claim, David James getting in front of Neur or Robert Maxwell being killed by Mossad. 

Some boi.

39 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I am no expert by any means as I don't watch a great deal of top level football anymore but England always seem to lack players in midfield who can dictate passing.  I'm not meaning guys like Bellingham who can have huge impact but guys who act like a metronome, who recycle possession and allow the team to dominate.  Most other teams have guys like that but England never seem to have them - Declan Rice isn't that sort of player, maybe Mainoo could grow into that but doesn't seem to be it now.

Mentioning the 2010 England-Germany game brought it to mind as I remember watching that game and thinking that England have nobody like Schweinsteiger who did that for Germany for many years.  In that match England had Gareth Barry and Frank Lampard in central midfield, both excellent players but not really the sort who would allow you to do that.  Of course, England had Michael Carrick, who was that sort of player but he wasn't favoured, for years the talk was 'how can Lampard and Gerard play together?'.  Carrick didn't get on the pitch for England in 2010.

Yup, was thinking similar. I think Toni Kroos had a lot to do with some of Bellingham's domestic ans European success last season. He will be a big miss for Madrid.

England don't have anyone in that role. 

In terms of sour grapes nothing will ever beat Lawrenson's full 25 minutes of impotent rage during the Germany pumping. My three-year-old acts with more grace when he's not allowed another ice lolly.

I swear there must be some green dot rationing in place right now. Never shot my load as fast.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

In terms of sour grapes nothing will ever beat Lawrenson's full 25 minutes of impotent rage during the Germany pumping. My three-year-old acts with more grace when he's not allowed another ice lolly.

I swear there must be some green dot rationing in place right now. Never shot my load as fast.

My favourite from the same game

Problem with that 08-12 Spanish team was they were almost too good! Kept the ball but also defensively great, meaning their games weren't that exciting (imo, can see why other folk disagree).

This year's team felt a bit more direct but also more open, the semi final France got through down the wings quite a lot for example. One of my favourite teams to watch in a long time.

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I always appreciated Lawrenson’s ‘us, us us’ with regard to England, given he played for Ireland because England wouldn’t give him a game. Shite commentator as he was otherwise, I always respected Andy Townsend for calling England ‘England’ and ‘us’ was Ireland. 

2 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Problem with that 08-12 Spanish team was they were almost too good! Kept the ball but also defensively great, meaning their games weren't that exciting (imo, can see why other folk disagree).

They were literally only exciting when they needed to be, which they only ever were for like two games.

People also forget that a key component of tiki taka was that if any opposition player had the temerity to try to actually tackle you, you were trained to immediately react as if you had taken a shotgun blast to the face. With modern timekeeping in place no Spain game of the era would have had the final whistle blown yet.

Before the game, I wasn't sure whether I would prefer Spain to absolutely hammer England, or to break their hearts with a late, late goal. The hammering would have been less stressful, but the way it turned out was even sweeter - especially with the corner that was cleared off the line. I'd love to have seen the faces of Lineker and co. when that happened.

Thank you, Spain.

It's the aiiases I feel sorry for every couple of years they make up some rubbish about supporting the Nigel's just on the off chance they can look good on the internet 

Flicked between both channels after the game and it's glorious viewing 

43 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

My favourite from the same game

up there in my favourites with this reaction to a "goal" from the sharp and unapologetic Jonathon Pearce (ably supported by Keown). 

Despite VAR 1. checking whether the ball had crossed the line immediately after hitting the post and 2. separate to that, subsequently checking whether the ball had crossed the line after coming off the goalie's hand, Pearce considered this sequence of events to be utterly baffling. And then he double-down on his dim-wittedness to attempt to save face. "Oh, they have changed their minds now".

Add him to the thousands of other reasons why we pish ourselves laughing when England get pumped. 

Edited by Pocketman