El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

12 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Take this as a learning moment, Judy.

I'd suggest you start with the Meisl brothers, Bela Guttman, and the cross polonation of football ideas with figures like Pozzo. Led to the great Hungarian team of the 50s, via developments in Austria, and ultimately to the Dutch version, which became known as Total Football, and which has now moved on to Spain through Crujff, principally.

Some British figures were involved in this process, but mainly by going abroad. Obviously, Jewish migration to South America saw Central European ideas taken out there and have an influence on how the game developed in that part of the world. The holocaust had a huge impact on football. And the amount of movement around the continent in the mid-twentieth century led to huge changes in the game.

It's a very interesting topic. Educate yourself, you barbarian.

I was more laughing at your ability to turn a great thread into a discussion about the fucking holocaust. Incredible dedication to being a bore

12 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Enjoy...

I still find the culture of filming yourself watching a game of football weird as f**k. Are people actually watching this in real time as opposed to watching the game itself? Also there will be a discrepancy if you’re just using them for commentary’s whilst watching game yourself 

Seeing that weird little cunt Rory Jennings on the verge of tears again is simply #glorious.

For context, he's the guy who said before the 0-0 England game at Euro 2020 that there wasn't any way England don't win it 6-0.

9 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

^^^^ has read 'Inverting the Pyramid'

Once you've read the title is there any point in reading the book

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What is everyone's view on Pickford as a goalkeeper? 

He's a goalkeeper with a squaddie's face.

I don't think I'd like to play in front of him, he constantly wears the expression of someone who's just seen his train pulling out of the station, having gone to the wrong platform originally.

If that Slovakian boy's shot from the halfway line had gone in I'd love to see who he would have blamed.

39 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What is everyone's view on Pickford as a goalkeeper? 

If he didn't have goalkeeping talent he'd be with the rest of the Mackem Young Team ramraiding Nandos and starting fights outside Roker Park Tesco.

The vlogging culture in football is fucking weird imo. As are the hundreds of youtube channels where someone watches the game and talks about it - who actually watches those?

But I just love watching them all when England lose - it's simply beautiful viewing. The arrogance, the confidence and the inevitable tears. Delicious.

7 minutes ago, Comrie said:

If he didn't have goalkeeping talent he'd be with the rest of the Mackem Young Team ramraiding Nandos and starting fights outside Roker Park Tesco.

At 30?

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Once you've read the title is there any point in reading the book

I am usually one for the school of thought that you are a footballer, work it out yourself.  However, I do like this book and it potrays the Scots in a more progressive light than the English.

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's a great book. Sent me back to some of the source material as well.

Got myself Wiel Coerver's book recently as well. Worth a look.

John Collins delivers the Coerver material.  Wish he'd been born a bit further south, with that left peg.

16 hours ago, Luddite said:

Speaking of Taylors…Guardiola is the Frederick W. Taylor of football 👎

I remember this lad from my college studies.  Greenie for a Luddite referencing a "work study" guru.  World In Motion vs Time And Motion.

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Enjoy...

f**k me. 

What has happened to human beings. 
End it. Let the cockroaches and creatures on the ocean floor start a new world without us.

I don't think that fan reaction vid is even that good. I can't buy any of them as actual football fans. I'd much rather hear the despondency of the actual commentators. None of these vloggers are serious people. Fake despair. 

Also, the Cole Palmer celebration has been allowed to slip under the radar way too much for me. Its horrific cringe.