El Final: ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ Spain v England ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ

ClydeTon

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

I can only see one outcome here. The same thing is going to happen as it did 3 years ago.

England's luck will run out.

I banked on it happening three years ago and I'm banking on it now.

England are very well organised and Gareth Southgate is getting everything out of the squad but Spain are far superior.

It'll probably be 2-0 to Spain.

I really don't think this is the case. England have made it this far despite Southgate, who was seconds away from becoming a joke figure after a string of terrible performances and nearly going out to Slovakia.ย 

It'd be a travesty if this mob somehow jammy their way past Spain, who have been a country mile ahead of every other team in the tournament. This run of luck is astonishing though so I'm mentally preparing myself by thinking of the many weirdos who don't actually like football and for whom none of this matters.

No doubt Spain have been the best team in the tournament and theyโ€™re clear favourites here. Would be surprised if they donโ€™t win it.

However, England are achieving a level of consistency you donโ€™t often see at international level. Theyโ€™re hard to beat - they havenโ€™t lost a single game during this competition, including in qualifying - and theyโ€™re good at penalty shoot outs. Thatโ€™s the formula that will get you far.

Since Southgate arrived theyโ€™ve went SF, F, QF, F. Given that in the hilarious 20 years prior to his appointment they didnโ€™t make a single SF, thatโ€™s quite an improvement.
Compare them to their European peers: Germany havenโ€™t made a single SF since 2016, France got knocked out the last 16 by that easy draw team Switzerland at the last Euros, ย Spain have got knocked out the last two World Cups at the last 16 by Russia and Morocco, and Italy havenโ€™t even qualified for the last two World Cups.ย 

Given they keep knocking on the door of the latter stages, it does feel inevitable that theyโ€™ll win one eventually.

Letโ€™s hope itโ€™s not on Sunday.ย 

Spain have been the best team at the tournament and have dumped out France and Germany. Stop assuming the worst just because England have scraped by against another fairly underwhelming side.

It's old-fashioned, childish and petty to wish ill on our neighbours and friends.

ย 

ย 

ย 

GAUN THE SPAIN! GET INTAE THEM AND RINSE THEM!!!*

ย 

ย 

ย * I am old-fashioned, childish and petty. Deal with it.

Regardless of it being England they're playing, Spain have been by a country mile the best team in the tournament and having disposed of Italy,ย  Croatia,ย  France and Germany will be feeling it's their year.

I'd say they look a far better balanced team than England, know their roles and playing against a 343 suits them well.ย  ย 

England have been solid and ate carrying a lot of good fortune - they'll need 2 much better halfs of football to win this though.ย ย 

Fancy Spain pretty strongly

ย 

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

Spain have been the best team at the tournament and have dumped out France and Germany. Stop assuming the worst just because England have scraped by against another fairly underwhelming side.

Yep, it will be amusing to listen to the media thrash themselves into a frenzy ahead of Sunday and then drop to the depths of despair.

Spain are comfortably better than - a very good - England team.

I want to be at peace with England winning, but things like that penalty decision yesterday would make my blood boil no matter the team. Now, thatโ€™s not really Englandโ€™s fault. Thatโ€™s the scourge of the beautiful game that is VAR. The second England goal last night was a well taken goal by Watkins. Canโ€™t take that away from them. England are good at winning games late on which is a good trait. They are also pretty good at penalties these days.

Despite all that, I want Spain to win. They have the players who have impressed me most at this tournament in Ruiz, Cucurella, Carvajal, Rodri, Yamal and Williams.ย 

Edited by Scary Bear

10 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Yep, it will be amusing to listen to the media thrash themselves into a frenzy ahead of Sunday and then drop to the depths of despair.

Spain are comfortably better than - a very good - England team.

I think weโ€™re too surrounded by English media and are thinking this is all about them. The Spanish media will be absolutely creaming themselves having dumped out France and Germany and they have their heroes as well with Yamal and Olmo.ย 
ย 

Going into the tournament weโ€™d all still have expected England to beat Netherlands and Switzerland and I think too many of us are getting carried away about last night because it was a late goal. Most of the second half England were very underwhelming.ย 
ย 

I think Englands best chance is late on now with the impact subs they have at their disposal but Spain have far more energy than the Netherlands so itโ€™s hard to tell how it will pan out.

Iโ€™d start Foden on the bench and unleash him on the hour mark if England arenโ€™t winning. I think starting Kane and then subbing him off is a winning formula for them as well.

9 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

1 Bayern Munich player

1 Real Madrid player (champions league winner)

3 man city players (all champions league winners)

2 Arsenal players (inc. ยฃ100m player)

1 Newcastle player (la liga winner)

1 Man Utd academy graduate (fa cup winner)

Guehi won't be at Crystal Palace for long but apart from that he's a bit of an outlier given the above.

This squad is absolutely stacked with talent and it's mental to suggest otherwise

The point i am making is that there has always been this argument from english pundits that these guys have to be the elite, competing in the champions league every year to be anywhere near the level, yet they are going into it with players from mid table teams.ย 

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if England don't win this now. It's had that feeling about it since the Bellingham overhead kick and it's snowballed since then. Spain have been easily the best team up to now but it has that air of inevitability about it. I backed England at 7/2 a couple of rounds back but I will be delighted to lose my money, I just have a very strong hunch it's not happening though.

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

England 21/10 on Skybet for those looking to soften the blow. Just stuck ยฃ40 on them.ย 

Thatโ€™s after 90 mins Shirley?