Partick Thistle 🔴🟡Vs Greenock Morton 🔵⚪️ - Saturday 3 August

Partick Thistle 🔴 🟡 vs Greenock Morton 🔵⚪️  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

League kicks off with an interesting game on the cards at Firhill.

Thistle have added some decent names to the squad. Still to impress over 90 minutes (Motherwell game pending).

Morton have had more of an overhaul with a few unknowns added to the mix coupled with an apparent change in style of play.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

Can't see anything but a home win here given our league cup performances.

We're struggling with injuries in defence and Partick are dangerous going forward. Can only hope boyes and baird are fit however even if they are broadfoot will probably start. 

Hopefully Moffat is fit and JET is available to at least add some excitement. Ideally we'll sign another centre mid before Saturday.

Not as confident about this one as I was roughly a week ago.

Our squad is still decent strength overall, but there are a couple of glaring holes in it which has only been exacerbated by Mitchell’s injury on Tuesday night. There’s still a chance for a GK and RB to be signed prior to this game, but we’re running out of time for them to be properly up to speed with the rest of the team.

We were poor against Clyde midweek, and Morton appear to have looked better yesterday and found some level of competency after a dreadful start as Imrie introduced his new “philosophy”. Ironically I think the high intensity, aggressive, pressing Morton of the last few years would have been far more suited to getting something from this game, but I suppose you never really know how everyone is going to look until the real stuff (ie. league football) starts. At present no outcome would really surprise me here.

Edited by Nightmare

30 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Can't see anything but ______ win here given our league cup performances.

We're struggling with injuries in defence and ______ are dangerous going forward. Can only hope _____ and ______ are fit however even if they are ______ will probably start. 

Hopefully ______ is fit and ______ is available to at least add some excitement. Ideally we'll sign another centre mid before Saturday.

Did you buy that post in the Template Shop?

Was and still am fearing a bit of a pasting on Saturday. Still in two mind's to travel through or not given how disjointed we’ve looked in the cup games. However yesterday was a marked improvement on what we’ve seen in the first few games. As mentioned we’re struggling defensively with injuries at the moment add to that Moffat and Reynolds both going off injured yesterday hopefully nothing serious for either of them and was precautionary more so in Moffat’s case. 

Still think there’s potential for us to add at least one maybe even two if we’re incredibly lucky before Saturday. If we can and they are of any sort of quality I’d feel a lot more comfortable. 

ETA - How has Crawford started for you in the cup? Obviously a bit of a sore one for us losing him thought it was a strange one for him going to Partick with the competition for places in that area of the park and if he’d play as much as he’d like. 

Edited by GMFC89

We're very much a team in transition with new players and a new playing system. We also have a concerning amount of injuries for this stage in the season.

Two more limped off yesterday, add to that one of our new players needs an op and another who has still to play for us even though he was signed weeks ago.

So it's not been an ideal pre-season build up to this game. 

Yesterday showed the team is starting to gel together and the players put in a good performance against a decent Alloa team. 

This Saturday it could go incredibly well or horribly wrong. I'm more optimistic than I was a week ago as there was definite green shoots of progress in our performance yesterday. 

Quite happy with the new players we've signed so far. Hopefully have a couple back for the start of the league campaign

Thought we were a cert for this until Tuesday night! Think that has brought a lot of us down to earth. With a rookie goalie our only person available between the sticks and a potential drubbing today really cant call Saturday, especially if we havent brought in a new keeper!

Group stage games is something you try not look into to much but it’s hard not to after getting pumped of East Fife. I thought this is going to be a long long season but then seeing Partick / hibs / st Johnstone all getting beat off lower division teams made the east fife defeat a bit easier to take knowing these results can happen at this stage,  so I’m a bit more optimistic about Saturdays game and can’t say which way it’s going to go, first game things could go anyway 

Edited by Cowshed

2 hours ago, GMFC89 said:

How has Crawford started for you in the cup? Obviously a bit of a sore one for us losing him thought it was a strange one for him going to Partick with the competition for places in that area of the park and if he’d play as much as he’d like. 

He didn’t feature against Montrose, came off the bench against Edinburgh City and started in the loss against Clyde. He’s starting against Motherwell too. 

Can’t say I’ve noticed him do anything either particularly positive or negative so far. 

29 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He didn’t feature against Montrose, came off the bench against Edinburgh City and started in the loss against Clyde. He’s starting against Motherwell too. 

Can’t say I’ve noticed him do anything either particularly positive or negative so far. 

The only thing I noticed on Tuesday was I think it was Crawford’s initial crossfield ball to Fitzpatrick for the 1st goal.

Crawford ,as did most of the Thistle Team ,put in a shift today and would like to see him start against the Tun .Thought we played Motherwell off the park for large parts of game today but just did not have that final killer touch in normal time ....BBG and Fitzpatrick especially profilgate today .

7 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Thought we were a cert for this until Tuesday night! Think that has brought a lot of us down to earth. With a rookie goalie our only person available between the sticks and a potential drubbing today really cant call Saturday, especially if we havent brought in a new keeper!

Well the keeper was terrific today, we played really well so the confidence is back. 7-0

As much as I want McBeth in midfield to work (partly because we'll have half a bench full of CBs if he plays there), the evidence suggests we're a better team with him at the back and while a midfield 3 of Turner, Crawford and Robinson is a bit light on physicality there's enough energy to make up for it. MacKay came onto a game second half and should start ahead of Chalmers.

Hopefully get a right back and a keeper in before Saturday, McCready was very good today but I also remember Ryan Scully's first start as a 19-year old at Dens Park where he played like peak Buffon.

Slightly got the FEAR about this game after the cup performances and Partick putting in a solid performance yesterday but you just never know with this fixture and with it being first game of the season anything can happen. If we have Baird and Boyes back fit then I'll be a bit more confident at the back, Broadfoot starting will be a disaster. Moffat went off injured also but hearing it might have just been a deed leg? If that's the case he'll be fine come Sat and if there is any chance of JET starting, we need to just go with it as Davies is struggling and might be better coming off the bench when needed. If the players above are back fit I'm going for a draw in this one but if not it'll be an easy home win, looking forward to heading up early doors and getting a few jars in before and after regardless.

Mullen

Ballantyne Boyes Baird Delaney 

Wilson Blues 

Lemar  Lyall   Moffat 

JET 

Prob be that but I'd start Garrity for Lemar which could happen after Sat and Gillespie over Blues, that's never happening tho.

As much as Saturday was a lot better from us I still can't see past a Partick win. Partick were quite slick yesterday and the young goalie impressed me. We might well build on Saturday's performance but we're pinning our hopes on either the JET to come in all guns blazing or Davies to finally find his shooting boots, all while hoping Broadfoot stops dishing out chances like there's no tomorrrow.

Despite our shocking league cup campaign I'm looking forward to getting the league underway.

10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

As much as I want McBeth in midfield to work (partly because we'll have half a bench full of CBs if he plays there), the evidence suggests we're a better team with him at the back and while a midfield 3 of Turner, Crawford and Robinson is a bit light on physicality there's enough energy to make up for it. MacKay came onto a game second half and should start ahead of Chalmers.

Hopefully get a right back and a keeper in before Saturday, McCready was very good today but I also remember Ryan Scully's first start as a 19-year old at Dens Park where he played like peak Buffon.

If that game told us anything yesterday its that McBeth has got to be employed in central defence

There were enough question marks about where the squad is without the defensive injuries. With Baird and Boyes both doubts and Corr out long term it's hard to have much confidence. If either of them are missing then we have Broadfoot on the pitch and/or Wilson dropping back into the defence, where he's perfectly capable but we lose his presence in midfield. It would be true against any Championship team, but with Partick's midfield strength we really need Wilson there to have any hope of competing, and with their attacking threat you simply can't expect to take anything with Broadfoot seemingly playing a completely different sport and giving up chances every two minutes.

A goal for Moffat and assist for Lyall on Saturday is hopefully a sign that they're both finding their feet. Even if we're writing Reynolds and Davies off based on their performances so far, if Moffat and Lyall can find form the three behind the striker consisting of them plus Garrity or Shaw is decent, and then we're hoping JET can offer more than Davies.