What is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best film?

What is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best film?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Still surprised that Last Action Hero got such a Jack Slatering when it first came out, and even today. It basically gave the action genre the Scream treatment long before that came out, and was a lot of fun. Plus, if you're a metal fan, it exclusively featured one of Megadeth's best songs, and an Anthrax tune that was possibly better than anything on the (very good) album that they had out at the time (yes, I bought the soundtrack), not to mention a bunch of other eclectic quality stuff from some big names.

Critics were absolutely gleeful that this was The End Of Schwarzenegger at the time. Bunch of weirdos.

Edit: also, Ian McKellen as a very fair-minded Death from The Seventh Seal. Some film.

Loved the Last Action Hero soundtrack back in the day.

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Loved the Last Action Hero soundtrack back in the day.

Forgot to mention that the AC/DC song 'Big Gun' comes from that soundtrack too - seems to be one of their most popular songs these days.

Terminator 2 is a very good film, but the original is an adrenaline-fueled nightmare. James Cameron did a great job capturing the sweaty terror that he (presumably) felt when he had the original dream that led to his script. More than happy if that comes out on top. Unpopular opinion: I enjoyed Terminator 3. Nick Stahl isn't as annoying as Ed Furlong, and it's a suitably downbeat epilogue to a series that didn't need another film to be made after T2. Also quite liked the bits where they were taking the piss, which I know fans of the series really didn't appreciate  :P

Anyone got any opinions on Arnie the person? I read a biography of him thirty-odd years ago in which he didn't come off well, and some of his political opinions were unsurprisingly awful, but you get the impression that he's worked on himself and is a bit wiser these days.

26 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Can't believe how many of you have never seen Conan. 😳

The first movie is great. Get it watched you numpties.

It's very good, but not quite S Tier Arnie IMO. Still a classic but, then again, I suppose it depends on what you think is best in life.

Shame that Conan the Destroyer was pretty meh, and Red Sonja was surprisingly bad when I saw it last.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Terminator 2 is a very good film, but the original is an adrenaline-fueled nightmare. James Cameron did a great job capturing the sweaty terror that he (presumably) felt when he had the original dream that led to his script. More than happy if that comes out on top. Unpopular opinion: I enjoyed Terminator 3. Nick Stahl isn't as annoying as Ed Furlong, and it's a suitably downbeat epilogue to a series that didn't need another film to be made after T2. Also quite liked the bits where they were taking the piss, which I know fans of the series really didn't appreciate  :P

Anyone got any opinions on Arnie the person? I read a biography of him thirty-odd years ago in which he didn't come off well, and some of his political opinions were unsurprisingly awful, but you get the impression that he's worked on himself and is a bit wiser these days.

He is a bit erm Austrian, but he did marry into the Kennedy family so he is in the stupid but saveable category. He also loves animals so overall he is a good guy imho.

Extremely tough choice, just shows how good that run was throughout the 80's. Went for T1, but on another day it could have been T2, Predator or Total Recall.

Honourable mention for Pumping Iron (1977) although more of a documentary and while 95% of his output post True Lies has been dogshit, I thought Maggie (2015) was OK.

On 23/08/2024 at 21:52, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm watching Predator and thought of asking this. I've not included the obvious joke options, so if you wanted to vote for the one where he gets pregnant or a Terminator from this century then go and have a think about what that says about you.

Batman and Robin would have been the Yogi Hughes option in this poll IMO.

T2 is probably the most accomplished film, but I prefer watching T1. Commando third, then the rest.

Might have to give the last action hero another shot given the love in on here. I remember thinking it was shite when it came out (with the sludgiest CGI ever seen-the crocodile fight) and gave it a shot recently (like last 15 years probably) and didn’t do more than ten minutes. 

if it’s still shite there will be hell to pay.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Bit off topic, but Commando was one of the best games on the C64.

The Terminator on the Sega Mega Drive looked and played great, until you finished it after about an hour and realised you'd been ripped off  :lol:

I hear the Last Action Hero games were notoriously some of the worst games released in the era. Most games of his films were pretty awful, though. He's also supposed to have gone through a weird phase where he wouldn't allow his likeness to be used in games where he was committing acts of violence, which...Arnie mate, have you seen your own films?

Speaking of which, I think it's Terminator 3 which has a DVD commentary where he sounds like he's never seen the film before and is just describing what's just happened. I walked into our local video shop once and they had it playing on the telly to a confused wee group of customers.

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

The Running Man closely followed by Commando. Both hugely quoteable.

Running man got absolutely slated as well did it not

f**king loved it, years ago i had the running man and total recall on one vhs, and both terminator films on another vhs

Cracking times as a youngster

19 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Running man got absolutely slated as well did it not

f**king loved it, years ago i had the running man and total recall on one vhs, and both terminator films on another vhs

Cracking times as a youngster

I was really disappointed when I saw The Running Man because I was a big Stephen King fan and it's nothing like the book. It's undeniably very entertaining though, just in a different way.

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Running Man was also outstanding from memory 

This one? It was a bit notoriously cack at the time.

Funny to see how quickly a lot of these games can be completed without the hurdle of being stupidly difficult to play. I remember giving it a go and only lasting a few minutes because the controls were dodgy as f**k. That dog sound effect is most amusing though.

On 24/08/2024 at 07:13, Cptn Hooch said:

I did enjoy the 6th day and End of Days. Maggie was a different kind of role for him but was a very good film that went under the radar. It's not a film but FUBAR was absolutely top notch, very much in the same vein as True Lies

As for my favourite....it's tough to narrow it down, I'm a big Arnie fan. Even earlier efforts like Raw Deal, Red Heat are high on my list but True Lies might just take it....with T2 and Predator close behind

Yeah was going to mention FUBAR, really enjoyed it. 

Enjoyed Why We're Killing Gunther too, but felt a bit like his appearances in the Expendables, popping up and killing folk, but not really an Arnie film.

Eraser was after True Lies too, a good Arnie film. 

Think Total Recall would have to be my favourite.

I see he's got a film coming out this year, Agent State Farm, looks promising, with Danny DeVito in it too.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Eraser was after True Lies too, a good Arnie film. 

Is that the one where he survives falling out of a plane by landing on the roof of a car?

There are some shockingly awful CG alligators in that film, from what I recall.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Is that the one where he survives falling out of a plane by landing on the roof of a car?

There are some shockingly awful CG alligators in that film, from what I recall.

Its got a lot of action scenes in it so probably. Falls out an aeroplane, swingig about hanging off containers, explosions all over the shop, and aye the alligators.