Sven Goran Eriksson

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

That was a fairly hilarious f**k up, IIRC Beckham had been touted for that deep lying playmaker/quarterback role in the media for a while and when they tried it it was probably the worst loss a England have had in many years, even if they still qualified.

SGE was an elite manager though, he won the UEFA cup with IFK Gothenburg, won the Portuguese and Italian leagues, won European trophies with Lazio and got Benfica to the European cup final. 

I suppose it depends on your definition of the word elite. I don't think Sven belongs in the same bracket as the elite managers of his time - Ferguson, Mourinho, Lippi, Scolari, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Capello, del Bosque, Cruyff, Sacchi, van Gaal etc, so he's in a category below elite.

His time with Sampdoria and Lazio was good, sometimes very good, but no huge overachievements. He took over England at the age of 53 and from then on I'd say he achieved nothing in football at all. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

When you look back at that England team, we should be grateful for Eriksson. They were far, far better man-for-man than they are now. The "Golden generation" indeed had some tremendous players. With a decent international manager they might have won something. 

Thankfully he just couldn't handle the international game as well as he could a club game and was overwhelmed by the celebrity thing. 

I think it was more to do with being forced into playing 4-4-2 and use a specific core of players to do it.

Watched the Amazon film this afternoon. Seemed a genuinely nice, humble guy. I knew little of his early accomplishments, but had no idea just how successful he was. 

What wasn’t refreshing to watch was the bilious, xenophobic commentary of the English press and former professionals, both when he was appointed and when his private life “mysteriously” became public. Absolute f**king vermin. 

Edited by mozam76

Gets diagnosed with a terminal illness and then launches a grand tour of Europe so men of all nations can pay tribute.

He seemed pretty cool.

My hot take is England's golden generation also happened to run into a golden generation of European football. Early 2000s Italy,France, Portugal and maybe even Netherlands would all hose international tournaments today.

Man dies.

People spend their time on an anonymous football forum saying he wasn't that good at his job.

What a world.

On 27/08/2024 at 08:34, throbber said:

It’s nice that he did a wee farewell tour before dying. I can’t remember anyone ever doing that in such a way. 

Rangers, Season 2011-12... 

The FA were far too uptight about a bit of shagging, in my opinion.  Mark Palios was a smart lad and returned to Tranmere Rovers and took over the ownership.  Sven was cool.  If you have seen Beckham playing live and seen how good his crossing was, then he can sod off with any ideas of playing in the middle.