🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I heard we're calling up no-marks from places like Canada now too.

The SFA don't even have a picture of him. Probably a part-timer on loan from Tim Hortons to fill out the squad.

image.png.df2960a612248135206adcf6441014c2.png

Maybe he can play right back? A cunning plan from Stevie boy.

Goalkeepers

Łukasz Skorupski (age 33) Bologna
Bartłomiej Drągowski (age 27) Panathinaikos
Marcin Bułka October (age 24) Nice
Bartosz Mrozek February (age 24)Lech Poznań

Defenders

Jan Bednarek (age 28) Southampton
Bartosz Bereszyński (age 32) Sampdoria
Jakub Kiwior (age 24) Arsenal
Tymoteusz Puchacz (age 25) Holstein Kiel
Paweł Dawidowicz (age 29) Hellas Verona
Sebastian Walukiewicz (age 24) Torino
Mateusz Wieteska (age 27) Cagliari
Kamil Piątkowski (age 24) Red Bull Salzburg

Midfielders

Piotr Zieliński (age 30) Inter Milan
Przemysław Frankowski (age 29) Lens
Sebastian Szymański (age 25) Fenerbahçe
Jakub Moder (age 25) Brighton & Hove Albion
Nicola Zalewski(age 22) Roma
Jakub Kamiński(age 22) VfL Wolfsburg
Bartosz Slisz (age 25) Atlanta United
Jakub Piotrowski (age 26) Ludogorets Razgrad
Kacper Urbański (age 19) Bologna
Mateusz Bogusz (age 23) Los Angeles FC
Mateusz Kowalczyk (age 20) GKS Katowice

Forwards

Robert Lewandowski (captain) (age 36) Barcelona
Karol Świderski (age 27) Charlotte FC
Krzysztof Piątek (age 29) İstanbul Başakşehir
Adam Buksa (age 28) Midtjylland

Since the Euros Szczesny has retired from football, Grosicki from international football and Cash is injured again after missing the Euros with a separate injury.  Would've been nice if Lewandowski retired too but he's started with 4 goals in 4 league games for Barcelona so isn't quite done yet. 

Given the stubborn comments from the management team since they reappeared, I’m pretty concerned we are going to see the most stubborn line up imaginable. 

He’ll change to a four at the back, but play three behind the striker with absolutely no width or creativity about it as well as McLean next to Gilmour in midfield. 

Adams the only one likely to feature there, but it reduces our attacking options a bit. Suppose Barron coming in means Christie or McGinn have more chance of playing further forward.

Noticeable that it's two Celtic players pulling out at once off the back of their captain retiring.

Maybe a wee bit odd to call up a central midfielder when a striker and a winger withdraw.

Doig ought to be chosen ahead of Taylor going forward anyway, especially since you'd expect Taylor is likely to lose his starting berth at Celtic soon (heard that before, I know I know). I would liked to have seen Forrest start on Thursday, but hey ho. 

We're looking a good bit weaker this squad than we have in a while, but I'm still fairly optimistic we can survive this group and ultimately go into the World Cup qualifiers in a better place than we are at the moment. 

40 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Doig ought to be chosen ahead of Taylor going forward anyway, especially since you'd expect Taylor is likely to lose his starting berth at Celtic soon (heard that before, I know I know).

I've seen this a few times on here, but Doig is playing in Serie B at the moment, and Taylor will probably be playing in the Champions League.

I don't know if people think Taylor is a lot older than he actually is or something, or if they're just wanting change for change's sake, but I don't really see any reason for picking Doig ahead of him at the moment.

Calling up Doig now makes perfect sense though, there's not really another good candidate and he is likely to be a potential squad member going forward, especially after Robertson retires in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Since the Euros Szczesny has retired from football, Grosicki from international football and Cash is injured again after missing the Euros with a separate injury.  Would've been nice if Lewandowski retired too but he's started with 4 goals in 4 league games for Barcelona so isn't quite done yet. 

Lewandowski’s three goals from open play have all been taken well but he’s missed a couple of sitters and has looked a wee bit off the pace for Barca.  Not sure there will be the same quality of interplay with his international teammates as there is with his club ones.

44 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

It's bad enough when the games are behind a paywall, but to have them potentially not broadcast in Scotland at all is shambolic. I have the means to watch it regardless, but I really hope they manage to sort something out for those who can't.

Normally I would agree wholeheartedly but I'm honestly neither up nor down about it.  Disillusionment has taken hold.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've seen this a few times on here, but Doig is playing in Serie B at the moment, and Taylor will probably be playing in the Champions League.

I don't know if people think Taylor is a lot older than he actually is or something, or if they're just wanting change for change's sake, but I don't really see any reason for picking Doig ahead of him at the moment.

Calling up Doig now makes perfect sense though, there's not really another good candidate and he is likely to be a potential squad member going forward, especially after Robertson retires in a couple of years.

Doig has been a reliable performer in Serie A for the past couple of seasons. He’s started most weeks for Verona and Sassuolo in a top European league at a young age, so quite clearly has something about him. Sassuolo’s form falling off a cliff and them getting unexpectedly relegated is just unfortunate, but shouldn’t detract from Doig’s suitability as a member of the Scotland squad.

The post you quoted did use the wording “going forward” and I think it’s fair enough, tbh. Maybe you’ll file this as ‘change for change’s sake’ category, but give me the young player who has been trusted to play regularly at a good level and who will almost certainly continue to improve as a player in the next few years, over the guy who is a decent LB in a mid-level European league and who has clearly reached his relatively limited ceiling.

Edited by Nightmare

Breathe it in, folks. A craigkillie post having a go at Greg Taylor:

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Noticeable that it's two Celtic players pulling out at once off the back of their captain retiring.

Plenty of people will be happy about Adams dropping out, and we do have the numbers to cover him, but imo he's still our best striker and would've been likely to start at least one of these games. I'd probably go with Shankland against Poland and Dykes against Portugal. 

• Stephen Malkmus changed the title to 🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪
12 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Plenty of people will be happy about Adams dropping out, and we do have the numbers to cover him, but imo he's still our best striker and would've been likely to start at least one of these games. I'd probably go with Shankland against Poland and Dykes against Portugal. 

I am not, I think he is our best striker. There is a reason he has played in the EPL and is now in Serie A and the Shankland and Dykes are in the SPFL and League 1.

I would be tempted to give Conway more game time now, he is playing at the next highest level .

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't really understand it myself. If Doig was starting left-back for Celtic and Taylor was playing for Sassuolo then you'd still have people wanting Doig over Taylor. I assume it's because he's younger, more athletic and perceived to be more attacking and therefore more exciting.

Ultimately it's not a debate worth having until Robertson retires.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Can we call up McBurnie?

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Really? I've missed that bit in amongst the fury of the past few months. Who do they want to replace him?