Raith Rovers v Hamilton Academicals

As soon as the subs came on the game changed. I don't blame Collins for that as Hamilton especially was done but it shows the lack of depth just now. Smith just isn't good enough and Jamieson is a complete waste of a jersey. We suddenly lost the out ball and dropped back. Not being able to counter their big strikers with another centre back or shoring up the middle with a midfielder was an issue as well. 

The board need to now support Collins and let him bring in some reinforcements now, not in 3 months time.

Aye as others have said, complete robbery, looked utterly hopeless for 85 minutes until Raith shat the bed after we scored our 2nd.

Started off the season with some confidence and some good play at times, but the last two games have been complete shite. 

Why does Rankin just pull out this 5-3-2 every once and while, it has never went well, surely to God today was the final nail the coffin for it. That 1st half was definitely one of the worst I've ever seen.

Also get Williamson to f**k, worse than a man down, Newbury needs to play ahead of him.

59 minutes ago, Laid-back Accie said:

Aye as others have said, complete robbery, looked utterly hopeless for 85 minutes until Raith shat the bed after we scored our 2nd.

Started off the season with some confidence and some good play at times, but the last two games have been complete shite. 

Why does Rankin just pull out this 5-3-2 every once and while, it has never went well, surely to God today was the final nail the coffin for it. That 1st half was definitely one of the worst I've ever seen.

Also get Williamson to f**k, worse than a man down, Newbury needs to play ahead of him.

Agree with everything except it has to be Henderson for Williamson. And Tumilty needs dropped, awful again. The young loanee, despite a couple of dodgy moments, did ok and was a better right back than Tumilty.

I didn't even realise that before today Raith had only scored once, and that was a penalty. Says it all about our shambolic set up. Felt sorry for our defence as we had no midfield.

Edited by Owsley 2

1 hour ago, Laid-back Accie said:

I said before the game that I liked the team and, with the exception of Williamson, was the best available to us. We finished last season strongly with the back three and had two good cup performances with it, but it's been a disaster in the league so far, so I'm happy to accept that it's not worth persisting with at the moment.

It reminded me of whenever we played a similar formation in the 22/23 season and any team with a bit of width could pin the wing-backs and let their full-backs pick up the free space. I'd hoped we'd moved past that but obviously not. 

On Raith, I thought that they looked very good, though we've all seen plenty of teams in the Championship who look great when they're up against an opposition who don't put them under any pressure but can't hack playing a certain way when the going gets tougher. It'll be interesting to see how they get on against a team who are less of a rabble than we were today (which would be everyone). 

Thought we were miles better than we've been in months.  However, that was largely down to having our only striker on the pitch.  The difference when he went off was huge.

As much as we had improved, Accies at home is probably as good an opportunity as any to get 3 points on the board.  To be as in control as that, and still drop points shows real cause for concern.

1 hour ago, Laid-back Accie said:

Looking at the bench today we had 3 better midfield options than Williamson. Barjonas, Maguire and Newbury to be honest I don't really rate Barjo or Maguire and I don't think Newbury is quite ready for this level yet however with that said they're all miles better than Williamson who in my opinion is genuinely our worst first team player currently and one we should be looking to punt in January.

16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Thought we were miles better than we've been in months.  However, that was largely down to having our only striker on the pitch.  The difference when he went off was huge.

As much as we had improved, Accies at home is probably as good an opportunity as any to get 3 points on the board.  To be as in control as that, and still drop points shows real cause for concern.

For me it's evidence for the board that we need another forward and if isn't coming back soon then another midfielder with stamina. 

Pollock looks a real find so hopefully Collins and Potter can bring in the 2 or 3 players that would suddenly make us a different team. 

Shout to Easton as well today. Gave him criticism after the Pars match but thought he was superb today. 

31 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

We got a point despite the manager. Fair play to the players who fought  to the last minute. Get rid of the sunbed w**k and we'd do quite well 

He does look like he's definitely said the phrase "cheeky nandos" unironically within the last year. Maybe if we wait long enough love island will take him off our hands. 

The pen looks soft to me but had we defended the situation semi competently then it wouldn’t have been an issue.

The disallowed goal looks really tight, easy to see why the lineman gave offside but if you pause video, Smith looks level.

Dabrowski made that equaliser with his over exaggerated flapping, dramatic corner concession. He gets an easy ride by many due to his shot stopping but of our whole squad, HE has been our worst player of the season thus far, needs to get his shit together soon.

1 hour ago, Pride of Fife said:

The pen looks soft to me but had we defended the situation semi competently then it wouldn’t have been an issue.

The disallowed goal looks really tight, easy to see why the lineman gave offside but if you pause video, Smith looks level.

Dabrowski made that equaliser with his over exaggerated flapping, dramatic corner concession. He gets an easy ride by many due to his shot stopping but of our whole squad, HE has been our worst player of the season thus far, needs to get his shit together soon.

Looking at highlights he should have saved the pen, flapped at their 2nd goal and like you say flapped at trying to punch the ball that led to corner. All he had to do their was come catch it, get clattered by their attacker and we get free kick and 3 points.

Any news on Vaughan ? Hard to see what happened in the highlights...

Will take a draw that feels like a win, hopefully something we can build on but Rovers will be rightly raging not to have won that.

The five at that back set up in the first half was not the right call with Raith able to just overload on Tumility and Hendrie for 45 minutes. A tiny bit of credit to Rankin for atleast making the decision to get rid of it at half time. Although the changes didn’t really do much with Lyness deciding to chuck one in near the start of the second half and at the point the game looked over tbh.  Luckily after a stramash in the box and potential error from Dabrowski we got one back.  As much as the whole momentum of the game changed with us throwing the kitchen sink at it and Raith trying to see it out this team looks great when we actually are playing positively it’s a shame we are so often set up to play defensive football and Oli Shaw getting the equaliser is what you pay £3k a week for.

As an aside I really hope that is Ben Williamsons last chance with us. An awful footballer, he’s played so many times and I still don’t know what the point in him is. He isnt some creative force, he isn’t some ball winning type, he isn’t able to retain possession and keep play ticking over. He’s just there being shite. I know Maguire is poor aswell but atleast you can see he’s there to try and break play for the opposition.

Having watched the highlights, no way was that a penalty! In fact if you look at the interaction between Kev and the Accies player right at the end when the corner was awarded from which the equaliser came from, you'll see an almost exactly same challenge. No free kick or booking in this instance! I'm well aware of how difficult it can sometimes be to officiate with competence, but the officials at this level should be able to do better. I'd also question the "no goal". Certainly looks offside when netting but not maybe when the cross was first hit?

Having been sickened yesterday with the result at FT, on reflection I was impressed with what the highlights show. Just got to hope that we can turn up and show similar at the very least, because we'll need that at the minimum, to compete with a title chasing very good Falkirk team. I should think that the big crowd will create a cracking atmosphere. It would be a great opportunity to start the rise up the league.

Having watched the highlights, a few observations. Shaw seems to get a touch first then Dabrowski gets both player and ball. Can see why it was given, difficult one for ref. A bit harsh criticizing your keeper for not keeping that out, it was low and hard. He's blameless for the second goal. Smith looks onside for what would've been 4-1 but not 100% conclusive. I think it's Todorov to O'Hara who has the initial bicycle kick saved then it falls to Shaw. We laughed when he brought Todorov on so late but fair play to Rankin, it paid off. Young Pollock made a great run for the second goal but Tumilty should do better. Lyness caught out by a mis- hit cross. He's barely six foot, a taller keeper like Albinson would likely have tipped it over.

Here's what I got from the highlights: 

- I have no clue what Raith fans were complaining about for the penalty, it's definitely a pen. Dabrowski gets a wee touch of the ball but it's still very much there for Shaw if Dabrowski doesn't clatter into him. 

- Stevenson's rocket was undefendable, but the second goal isn't. Olufunwa is about 10 yards too far forward which leaves the space for Pollock to run into. He should be covering that space, that's the whole point of the back 5, rather than leaving Tumilty to mark 1 Vs 1 where he'll be facing his own goal. Lyness doesn't exactly cover himself in glory either, half heartedly coming out and getting the ball walked round him. 

- The third goal is Sunday league stuff. Any decent keeper knows that you can't palm that down into the box. Please can we bring Jamie Smith back. 

- our midfield looked non existent. We've got a great CM in Scott Martin and absolutely nobody to give him a hand. He can't do all the work! 

- great technique from Shaw and Smith for our goals, even with a wee slice of luck. 

1 hour ago, Owsley 2 said:

Having watched the highlights, a few observations. Shaw seems to get a touch first then Dabrowski gets both player and ball. Can see why it was given, difficult one for ref. A bit harsh criticizing your keeper for not keeping that out, it was low and hard. He's blameless for the second goal. Smith looks onside for what would've been 4-1 but not 100% conclusive. I think it's Todorov to O'Hara who has the initial bicycle kick saved then it falls to Shaw. We laughed when he brought Todorov on so late but fair play to Rankin, it paid off. Young Pollock made a great run for the second goal but Tumilty should do better. Lyness caught out by a mis- hit cross. He's barely six foot, a taller keeper like Albinson would likely have tipped it over.

I'm sorry but the keeper clearly took the ball diving over. Is he just supposed to suspend himself in mid air like something out of minority report. If that's what is given as a penalty then we need to just have the rules like netball with no contact. Exactly the same senario took place at the end of the game at the corner and nothing was given.