They're coming for our pints now..............

21 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've always liked the Australian "schooner" 2/3 rds of a pint.  Your drink isn't flat/warm by the time you get to the bottom of it.

There was a boozer in Partick that was open for a couple of years that did them, but they ripped the pish with the prices. 

It was Velvet Elvis and yeah that was very much a forerunner of how this would / will go, you'd look at the price list and think £3.50 a pint wasn't too bad and then realise it was for 2/3 or 1/2 a pint.

If your pint is flat at the bottom you're simply not drinking it fast enough IMO.

19 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

It was Velvet Elvis and yeah that was very much a forerunner of how this would / will go, you'd look at the price list and think £3.50 a pint wasn't too bad and then realise it was for 2/3 or 1/2 a pint.

If your pint is flat at the bottom you're simply not drinking it fast enough IMO.

That was the name of the place!

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Spoonies do this with Leffe

There is absolutely no indication anywhere that the glass it is served in is a 2/3rds, and even if you ask for "A PINT" of Leffe the staff never point it out.

19 hours ago, thistledo said:

If someone said "Sorry pal it's a schooner of Guinness now" I'd probably just drink at home more often and I already do a fair bit of that. 

Serious question prompted by your comment, do people who drink at home drink pints?  I’d be very surprised if the answer is mainly yes.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Serious question prompted by your comment, do people who drink at home drink pints?  I’d be very surprised if the answer is mainly yes.

I mostly buy bottles for drinking at home - so 330ml.  Only one of my tipples of choice comes in a larger (500ml) bottle.  I'm not a fan of beer in cans.

I'd imagine you drink your vino by the pint.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I mostly buy bottles for drinking at home - so 330ml.  Only one of my tipples of choice comes in a larger (500ml) bottle.  I'm not a fan of beer in cans.

The bottle!  So 1.31 pints.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How very uncultured.......vino is best drank from a bottle in a brown paper bag ... everybody knows that 

47 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

How very uncultured.......vino is best drank from a bottle in a brown paper bag ... everybody knows that 

Piffle. It's best drunk from a bag. A  goon sack as the locals call it. 

On 25/09/2024 at 09:49, Fuctifano said:

Could be wrong here. My pal worked in Velvet Elvis and said the reason pints were sold at a slight premium is that it would keep the riff-raff out. £3.50 for a pint, fine. £3.70? Not a chance, will go to Rosevale 

When 6(degrees)North (a craft beer place from Stonehaven) took over, it was the pints/schooners/halves. The reason is genuinely to keep the price down.

Depends where you are. If you went to Inn Deep, they’d happily charge you £15 for a pint of 12% stout. Where I used to work, Drygate, we didn’t offer that - so you could have 3x 1/3 of a beer if you insisted, but you wouldn’t be given it in a pint glass because A) f**king madness B) that’s not an enjoyable or sensible way of drinking.

On 26/09/2024 at 11:28, Granny Danger said:

Yes indeed. I'd say I'm a bit sad when it comes to Guinness, just always been a huge fan of it, I've got the Nitro surge device and buy crates of Guinness (pint cans) from Ireland. Can't whack having a pint or four at the weekend tbh. The pint as a measure is absolutely fine, I wish people would stop buggering around with shit like this.