Pubs of your misspent youth

13 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Black Dog has been my local for 20+ years and I've worked in the last 11. 

George St can give you a decent pub crawl as well. 

Murdos is a sister pub of the Black Dog and I was back and forth to ARI quite a bit in the last couple of years so have started to frequent it a wee bit more often. 

Ha, I have no doubt that we have crossed paths on more than one occasion! I started going to the Black Dog when I chilled out a bit, and moved out to Balmedie. Would head in occasionally for a lunch and catch Soccer Saturday with the Mrs. Haven't been for a pint in Aberdeen in about 12 years now. All those heavy sessions consistently, over 15 odd years, took it's toll on me.

Yeah George Street was decent, I lived just off of it for a while, drinking a lot in the Butchers Arms. Im sure I was in The Northern Bar when Aberdeen played Copenhagen and met Willie Miller and John Hewitt in Espionage that night!

Precious memories again! Haha.

Edited by johnnydun

My first pint was in this place, the gate on the right was a closie, which separated the bar from the pool room, ideal when you’re 14/ 15 & just get the older guys to go to the bar as the staff never came to the pool room. When I left school & was waiting on my apprenticeship starting, they used to cash my giro for me! I was 16 at that point, great days. Unfortunately been closed for a few decades. 
Also used to frequent the Marine Hotel, now demolished, used to go there after school in uniform & just remove our ties, the owner was my headmaster at primary school & obviously knew my age, was probably 15 when I started drinking there. Couldn’t find a picture of it, unfortunately. 

IMG_0297.png

2 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

My first pint was in this place, the gate on the right was a closie, which separated the bar from the pool room, ideal when you’re 14/ 15 & just get the older guys to go to the bar as the staff never came to the pool room. When I left school & was waiting on my apprenticeship starting, they used to cash my giro for me! I was 16 at that point, great days. Unfortunately been closed for a few decades. 
Also used to frequent the Marine Hotel, now demolished, used to go there after school in uniform & just remove our ties, the owner was my headmaster at primary school & obviously knew my age, was probably 15 when I started drinking there. Couldn’t find a picture of it, unfortunately. 

IMG_0297.png

I remember these places but I never drank in them as they are slightly before my time.

My dad and uncles used to drink in The Tally Ho, which was next to The Star on the corner of New Wynd. It later became the Halifax building society.

3 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I remember these places but I never drank in them as they are slightly before my time.

My dad and uncles used to drink in The Tally Ho, which was next to The Star on the corner of New Wynd. It later became the Halifax building society.

I’m too young to have been in the Tally-ho, but I certainly remember it, other haunts were the Salutation (flats now), The Abbot (sadly closed) & of course, The Market, but old style Market when it had the Dartboard right behind the front door & pool room thru the back. Market is still going very strong. 

7 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’m too young to have been in the Tally-ho, but I certainly remember it, other haunts were the Salutation (flats now), The Abbot (sadly closed) & of course, The Market, but old style Market when it had the Dartboard right behind the front door & pool room thru the back. Market is still going very strong. 

I didn't realise The Abbot had closed.

Yeah, I remember the old Market. Very vague memories of an amusement arcade immediately behind it. Think it had the same owners but wasn't part of the pub.

8 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I know it’s a poor show to quote yourself, but many Falkirk fans will know the Market, as there were a few hundred of them outside when they pumped us at the end of last season, although if I remember correctly they had already won the league when Hamilton?!? Failed to win? 

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I didn't realise The Abbot had closed.

Yeah, I remember the old Market. Very vague memories of an amusement arcade immediately behind it. Think it had the same owners but wasn't part of the pub.

Nah, that was Ernie Furtonatos arcade, who used to own the Central Cafe (next door to Market), Frosts bakers bottom floor, Central Cafe above & arcade thru the back. 

4 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

It is, we took my Mother there for her 70th a few years back, food was OK.

Was the Railway not called Wylies by those in the know?

There’s more than a grain of recognition in that. Kenny Wylie? (I think).  I was too young and insignificant (and clever) to get mixed up with the grown ups. 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Candybar on Hope Street, and Ocho just off Sauchiehall St, were regular haunts in Glasgow for the underager towards the end of the 90s.

Go back a few years from there and Shenanigan's on Sauchiehall Street would take Young Scot cards (that you wrote the date of birth in yourself, with a biro) as valid ID. 

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Go back a few years from there and Shenanigan's on Sauchiehall Street would take Young Scot cards (that you wrote the date of birth in yourself, with a biro) as valid ID. 

That's the one that's now Hengler's Circus as opposed to the fake one that was further up in the old Scream pub (The Hall, I think?)?

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's the one that's now Hengler's Circus as opposed to the fake one that was further up in the old Scream pub (The Hall, I think?)?

That’s the one (the further up the hill one, that is). I don’t think I ever went into the other one as The Hall. I’ve got a vague memory of going into it as The Blob Shop (I *think* it was the same building) and someone getting the Blob drink which was f**king rats. 

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Ha, I have no doubt that we have crossed paths on more than one occasion! I started going to the Black Dog when I chilled out a bit, and moved out to Balmedie. Would head in occasionally for a lunch and catch Soccer Saturday with the Mrs. Haven't been for a pint in Aberdeen in about 12 years now. All those heavy sessions consistently, over 15 odd years, took it's toll on me.

Yeah George Street was decent, I lived just off of it for a while, drinking a lot in the Butchers Arms. Im sure I was in The Northern Bar when Aberdeen played Copenhagen and met Willie Miller and John Hewitt in Espionage that night!

Precious memories again! Haha.

White Horse in Balmedie only recently reopened having been shut for a few years. Aye, the Black Dog is just a right fine local pub. 

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That’s the one (the further up the hill one, that is). I don’t think I ever went into the other one as The Hall. I’ve got a vague memory of going into it as The Blob Shop (I *think* it was the same building) and someone getting the Blob drink which was f**king rats. 

Blob shop was a bit further towards the centre from The Hall, it's been called Box for quite a few years. It's only about two doors down from Nice n Sleazy

The pub where I was taken for my "first pint" on my 18th was a squat, rectangle with a sloped roof that's meant to resemble a farmhouse I think, but in reality (or to my eyes) just looked like a squalid dingy building. I haven't been in it since, but unfortunately, I think it is still standing. A thoroughly depressing looking and feeling dark old man's pub from what I remember - you lot would probably love it.

6 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The Donview was excellent for a chilled Saturday afternoon pint. Charlie's and Cul De Sac, more precious memories. I lost my (Black, not Tartan) Burberry jacket in O'Donoghues on a Christmas night out when it was located here...

odonoghues-irish-pub-aberdeen-city-scotland-uk-EKD4RN.thumb.jpg.2d723b1b677dcee0625911588d2a697a.jpg

Aberdeen in the late 90's early 2000's had a fantastic pub and club selection, even the Housing estate pubs were excellent. I think I have been in most of them. Living in Torry for many years, you could have a fantastic night out, without crossing the bridge.

The Double 2, The Golden Tee, Campbells/The 19th Hole, The White Cockade, The Rats Cellar/Victoria, The Grampian.

Great times.

The student guide in the early 1990s used to say in small print "if you like contact sports try the following..."

Martin's Bar and the Seaton (aka "The Broken") Arms were mentioned under that heading plus the infamous Broadsword. 

7 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The Parkway and Donview are 2 of the locals that have disappeared in the last few years although the Parkway is supposed to be re-opening. Donview is now a Chinese. 

Played pool in the Neptune once, was an experience. 

Henry J Beans and the Balmoral/Bells are a couple of town places that are no-more. Also miss 2 for 1 in Charlie's and 69p nips in Cul De Sac on the opposite corner. 

Star and Garter then Belmont Bar pre Pittodrie, Henry J Beans for the cocktail happy hour after Pittodrie then across to the Nile happy hour then Cupids happy hour. 

That takes us up to 8pm and we'd still be going strong (or so we thought) in the Cotton at 2am. 

Great days and we still try to replicate it life dafties when we get together a couple of times a year. 

On 03/10/2024 at 18:19, tongue_tied_danny said:

I did most of my youthful boozing in The Star in Montrose.

star-hotel-montrose-Copy.jpeg.3fb6b461daf9fae968681f76ed1fe4c1.jpeg

It's still going but I've not been in for years.

Back in the '90s it was something else. Spread over several rooms on two floors. There was always something going on.

Live punk music on Thursday nights. Rave type events on Fridays and Saturdays. Strippers on Sundays.

Plenty of colourful characters propping up the bar. I've never known another pub like it.

Can confirm the Star was rather eh... "eclectic" in the 80's and 90s. 

Once saw the Beaver Sisters playing a gig up the stairs while tripping off my nut on opioid painkillers my daftie of a maw had given me because I was moaning about an injury I'd acquired at work. Couldn't understand why the walls and ceilings were moving in and out, and then I started bevvying on top of that...

It was always  a wild final stop on a weekend night. Most folk absolutely blootered, and all the local "characters" packed into one place.