Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

This absolute imposter for Stoke Imbula, wearing short sleeves and gloves in the middle of May.

I got myself into a seething mess over this at work earlier whilst watching the game. Disgusting behaviour.

"Club Captain" Mikel Arteta in his last game for Arsenal there, before he leaves on a free transfer. Why you would allow someone apparently so integral to the team to leave on a free is irrelevant, he's not been a regular player for the past two seasons. Meaning someone else has been captain. So he isn't the captain, and shouldn't be described as such.

Club captains have a lot of off the field responsibilities, things like leading the players when they visit sick kids at Christmas or liaising with the management of the squad aren't happy about something.

First day back in office today.

We have had the full house of everyone stopping for a baby coming in, someone's last day at work pissing about (who has last day on Monday?) Envelope coming round for some jannie I never knew and 3 girls opposite planning for the same wedding they have been planning for for 2 years.

We have had the full house of everyone stopping for a baby coming in, someone's last day at work pissing about (who has last day on Monday?) Envelope coming round for some jannie I never knew and 3 girls opposite planning for the same wedding they have been planning for for 2 years.

And the return of the office grump.

Don't forget,

Did you have a good holiday ? How was the weather ?

Pish conversation you have with everyone that hasn't seen you recently.

Of course you may not have been on holiday so,

Did the clinic cure the Bad AIDS ?

Don't forget,

Did you have a good holiday ? How was the weather ?

Pish conversation you have with everyone that hasn't seen you recently.

Of course you may not have been on holiday so,

Did the clinic cure the Bad AIDS ?

I have been on holiday and they know the weather as they spent their time following how the weather was where I was.

Jazz music. Not the Acker Bilk or Kenny Ball type but that so-called modern jazz that they seem to make up as  they go along. A friend had on the Young Jazz Musician of the Year programme on TV on Friday night, excellent musicians I agree, but the music was making my ears bleed. This friend also has albums by Thelonius Monk,?  Charlie Parker and others which she often plays, if it wasn't for the fact she feeds me and gives me beer I would acquaint her pie with my boot,  plus she is a bit scary with a drink in her.

The winner of the Young Jazz Musician was a young lady playing the trumpet and she looked like she could give it a good blow (wink, wink.)

Check out Kamasi Washington

I have been on holiday and they know the weather as they spent their time following how the weather was where I was.

Frequent "wish you were here?" status updates on Facebook?   :P

Escalators have got the wrong name – well half of them do.

I have no problem with the ones that go up. To escalate means to go up, so that is fine. That is the correct use of the language.

Bur what exactly is a down escalator? One that escalates you downwards? Sorry, no, that makes no sense – it is a contradiction, an oxymoron.

.. and you can’t just call it a de-escalator, since de-escalate means to stop going up. Oh, and don’t get me on to when they stop working and you have to try using them like ordinary steps – that really is really, really , really annoying – worse than stubbing your toe, hitting your thumb with a hammer or a paper cut – aargh.

Anyway, a down escalator should really be called something like a descentator. Similarly the up escalators should be called ascentators.

In fact, if you really insisted on these terms, pokes people in the ribs, slapped them in the face and forced them to use these new words, they would be so annoyed with you, they would stop being annoyed about anything else and this whole thread could be simplified.

What do you think?

Do you feel the same way about lifts?

4 x 10 is infinitely better.

If it was constant I'd probably agree but it's one week of nights followed by a fortnight of days.

I just like being tucked up for 7am before all the noisy fuckers start making their noise.

I hate the taboo of pronouncing the word scone so that it rhymes with stone.

If you want it pronounced the way most people want it pronounced then change the fucking spelling of it to scon or sconne and stop calling me a snob for pronouncing it the way it is spelt.

I think it's only in Scotland that if you call a scone a scone then it sounds posh, if you say it in a different accent, try a Lancashire accent (think Lee Mack) then if you said "Scon" then that sounds posh. Whereas "Scone", sounds unposh.

Grimbo

Eta I just tried it in a Mickey mouse accent (think Margi Clark) & both sound posh.