Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

25 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I know the stretches of road you mean - on the A9 just south of Inverness. I got pulled over on one occasion after trying to overtake a car doing about 59mph - I was doing 62 so it took about the full length of the overtaking lane to get past. The patrol car, which had been on my tail stopped me and told me it was okay to exceed the speed limit when overtaking in these circumstances.

So stopped you to tell you that you had done nothing wrong, and in the process the slow car had passed you and got ahead again..........

The sense of humour of the Police is amazing.

28 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I know the stretches of road you mean - on the A9 just south of Inverness. I got pulled over on one occasion after trying to overtake a car doing about 59mph - I was doing 62 so it took about the full length of the overtaking lane to get past. The patrol car, which had been on my tail stopped me and told me it was okay to exceed the speed limit when overtaking in these circumstances.

tumblr_inline_nnbv3m4fPe1sdgkr8_540.gif

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Vehicles that crawl along a single carriageway at 40/50 then speed up when there's a short passing lane so you have to break the speed limit to pass them. Usually vans rather than lorries for some reason.

Any driver that cannot believe that anyone can drive a stretch of road faster than they can.
Especially those who never look in the rear view mirror.

I remember following one driver once.
He went quite fast on the straight bits of the road but was painfully slow on the twisty bits.
Obviously not acquainted with gears.

58 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Petty? Really?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the loss of life in Haiti is a petty irritation or is attempting to trivialise it in any way.  The petty irritation is clearly the use of a natural disaster to push an agenda that is clearly nonsensical and in actuality self-defeating.

Before saying anything else, and being accused of holding views I do not (or indeed before I start attracting support from the likes of banana) there clearly are still massive problems with racial inequality and sexism etc in the developed and developing world.  That's just obvious.  I do think however that the likes of Ms Bogado are actually causing more harm than good by looking for evidence of these phenomena in absolutely everything, to the point of absurdity.  It is also saddening that some of these activists seem only to be concerned about events like this when they impact upon their chosen cause of concern.

Hundreds of people dying in Haiti is clearly a terrible thing which we ought to be concerned about.  We shouldn't be concerned about it however, as that tweet insinuates, because they happen to be mostly black (one assumes).  The idea that this is some sort of 'racism' is also clearly ridiculous, seeing as a hurricane clearly does not differentiate between people of different races.  This disaster is no more evidence of a racist agenda than a typhoon in the Philippines is evidence of an agenda against Asians.  Evidently natural disasters do have a greater negative impact on poorer communities with less ability to mitigate their effects, but that is a side-effect of global inequality in general.  We should be concerned about poverty and inequality in Haiti for its own sake, not because it happens to be a predominantly black nation.  Again climate change is a global environmental disaster with global consequences for all deprived communities not a conspiracy against one particular race.  It ought to be dealt with because of its consequences for humanity in general; she might not mean to imply (although I think she does) that it only bothers her because of what it will do to one community but that is the clear implication of her tweet one way or the other.

Stuff like this does annoy me a tad.  The other day some woman on the radio was demanding action in a certain part of Africa where there was no running water and women had to fetch their drinking water from wells several miles distant.  I think that is an entirely reasonable thing to be concerned about.  She however was irate about this not because of the poverty of these communities or the health implications but because it was the women who had to carry the water.  This implied if there was a gender balance in terms of sharing out that particular chore she'd have been content with the way things were.

There are genuine and much more important fights for feminists and anti-racists to pick if they want to solve the deep-rooted inequalities in society than trying to claim a storm is evidence of 'environmental racism'.  Wanting us to be worried about poverty or a natural disaster on the basis it effects a particular race or gender is just offensive and self-defeating.

Spent 3 hours yesterday doing a "temporary" job which was a real pain in the butt and left me covered in cuts and bruises.

Got a message today from the man that pays the wages to tell me to go back to the job and that it is all to be stripped back out as they have decided to do something different. Also can I go back on Monday and put everything back again :angry:

6 minutes ago, supermik said:

Spent 3 hours yesterday doing a "temporary" job which was a real pain in the butt and left me covered in cuts and bruises.

Got a message today from the man that pays the wages to tell me to go back to the job and that it is all to be stripped back out as they have decided to do something different. Also can I go back on Monday and put everything back again :angry:

I hope you're not a surgeon.

55 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the loss of life in Haiti is a petty irritation or is attempting to trivialise it in any way.  The petty irritation is clearly the use of a natural disaster to push an agenda that is clearly nonsensical and in actuality self-defeating.

Before saying anything else, and being accused of holding views I do not (or indeed before I start attracting support from the likes of banana) there clearly are still massive problems with racial inequality and sexism etc in the developed and developing world.  That's just obvious.  I do think however that the likes of Ms Bogado are actually causing more harm than good by looking for evidence of these phenomena in absolutely everything, to the point of absurdity.  It is also saddening that some of these activists seem only to be concerned about events like this when they impact upon their chosen cause of concern.

Hundreds of people dying in Haiti is clearly a terrible thing which we ought to be concerned about.  We shouldn't be concerned about it however, as that tweet insinuates, because they happen to be mostly black (one assumes).  The idea that this is some sort of 'racism' is also clearly ridiculous, seeing as a hurricane clearly does not differentiate between people of different races.  This disaster is no more evidence of a racist agenda than a typhoon in the Philippines is evidence of an agenda against Asians.  Evidently natural disasters do have a greater negative impact on poorer communities with less ability to mitigate their effects, but that is a side-effect of global inequality in general.  We should be concerned about poverty and inequality in Haiti for its own sake, not because it happens to be a predominantly black nation.  Again climate change is a global environmental disaster with global consequences for all deprived communities not a conspiracy against one particular race.  It ought to be dealt with because of its consequences for humanity in general; she might not mean to imply (although I think she does) that it only bothers her because of what it will do to one community but that is the clear implication of her tweet one way or the other.

Stuff like this does annoy me a tad.  The other day some woman on the radio was demanding action in a certain part of Africa where there was no running water and women had to fetch their drinking water from wells several miles distant.  I think that is an entirely reasonable thing to be concerned about.  She however was irate about this not because of the poverty of these communities or the health implications but because it was the women who had to carry the water.  This implied if there was a gender balance in terms of sharing out that particular chore she'd have been content with the way things were.

There are genuine and much more important fights for feminists and anti-racists to pick if they want to solve the deep-rooted inequalities in society than trying to claim a storm is evidence of 'environmental racism'.  Wanting us to be worried about poverty or a natural disaster on the basis it effects a particular race or gender is just offensive and self-defeating.

Thats modern day activism for you tho. Completely missing the point

9 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Still game. I think it's a perfectly fine sit com, I don't dislike it at all, but the amount of hype over it coming back to TV is way over the top.

I think one of the big reasons for the Hype is because there almost wasn't a new series. After season 6 and the cast fall out the show basically died a sudden and very quiet death. Its not like the show was losing its charm or it was due for being cancelled or anything, it was in its prime and some really great comedy was being made then it was gone. People are definitely excited for new Still Game, but they are equally as excited that there is new Still Game.

Excellent post.

I may well be wrong but I took 'environmental racism' to be the idea that we in the west are not going to get to grips with the effects of climate change until it's our countries being affected (ie, predominantly white and wealthy).

It's not the hurricane that's racist but the response to it (or lack thereof).

18 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Excellent post.

I may well be wrong but I took 'environmental racism' to be the idea that we in the west are not going to get to grips with the effects of climate change until it's our countries being affected (ie, predominantly white and wealthy).

It's not the hurricane that's racist but the response to it (or lack thereof).

So does that make God the racist c**t? 

Grimbo