Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

image.png.72c668ff118785177e839e449dae33d9.png

Local glass and cardboard recycling centre. I’m not sure how this translates to, f**k it lets use it as the local dump?

Absolute scumbags. It’s not a minority either ffs.

That is just crazy, hope they can dip the CCTV and fine folk for flytipping absolutely no need it keep flinging crap in when it's hardly an issue to stick a box of cardboard in your garage/ kitchen for a week 

19 hours ago, Clockwork said:

This is very true, but I hate the thought that it’s me who is then a bad parent if my kids don’t show the good manners to respond, with a thank you to their Gran or Aunties. They’re all well into their 20’s now, but I still feel the need to remind them to say thank you. It’s mental.

The whole point of getting wee weans to make 'thank you' cards for their grannies/aunties - balls-achingly tedious as it is at the time -  is that they learn to show a bit of appreciation for gifts.

Looks like you fucked up 😎

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The whole point of getting wee weans to make 'thank you' cards for their grannies/aunties - balls-achingly tedious as it is at the time -  is that they learn to show a bit of appreciation for gifts 😎 

It’s really not. It’s to make you feel better about yourself. Saying thank you in person is far more sincere and less contrived. 

19 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nonsense.  Not everyone lives in Falkirk and a card for a gift is simply polite.

Not everyone lives in Falkirk, indeed not even Rugster lives in Falkirk. A card for a gift is as much a waste of time and paper as other greetings cards tbh. A text, a photo or a video is much easier and more personal. Thank you letters are a nonsense and thankfully dying a death.

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's definitely the children not writing thank you notes, and not the old aunties getting snippy about it who are in the wrong here.

My three get b'day/xmas cards from their Scotch aunties with a regular £20 put in their bank accounts and they always respond with a simple 'thank you' these days.

Hence Facebook messages back to me such as, "Oh hi - I sent a xmas/b'day gift to Winston/Victoria/Sir Edward and was nice to get a message from him/her saying how well they are doing at Uni and that they chundered three times in the loos at the student union.  I hope they do better next term".

Little billet doux oil the wheels of family life.

My mum's uncle is 94 and still gives me and the wife a tenner each at Xmas. We always give him a phone to say thanks, it's not hard to pick up the phone. It's the way I was brought up . He struggles to read nowadays, so he appreciates the phone call.

yours are all adults though right? That's fine and the minimum expected - I'm meaning what I've heard in my own family of older ones threatening not to send a gift for a wee kid's birthday because they never got a thank you note, despite kenning fine that whatever note they get doesn't have a word of sincere thanks, because wee kids don't understand the concept yet. It nips me that people in their 50s, 60s and 70s can be so mean that they think that's a reasonable thing to do. As I said before it drove me even madder when one of them was saying it in anticipation of not getting a thank you.
Anyone that expects a thank you note of some sort (old school or electronic), or is pissed off at not getting one is clearly a bell-end.

But the process of reminding your kids to make the effort to show gratitude is an important one.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

what I've heard in my own family of older ones threatening not to send a gift for a wee kid's birthday because they never got a thank you note, despite kenning fine that whatever note they get doesn't have a word of sincere thanks, because wee kids don't understand the concept yet. It nips me that people in their 50s, 60s and 70s can be so mean that they think that's a reasonable thing to do.

This is a world I have no appreciation of.  Sounds horrific.  Is this your normal society?

Among normal people the grannies and aunties send gifts and get a wee note (physical or electronic) back in return - because the weans have crayoned 'thank you' notes since they were wee - and it's dead easy.

Your world is not one I would want to live in.

Edited by The_Kincardine

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is a world I have no appreciation of.  Sounds horrific.  Is this your normal society?

Among normal people the grannies and aunties send gifts and get a wee note (physical or electronic) back in return - because the weans have crayoned 'thank you' notes since they were wee - and it's dead easy.

Your world is not one I would want to live in.

It's a thank you card it's hardly the fucking Nakba

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I think next year I'm not going to bother putting in for leave over christmas. Still won't go to work likes but who'd know.

Every time I'm off for an extended time I end up losing my remaining sanity points watching some dumb anime like Evangelion or getting into an obnoxious video game series like Kingdom Hearts. Lockdown has been a disaster.