Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Never considered the field. Heard it's pretty terrible though.

Its not as bad you may think/ have heard. I went into care work last year (with no experiance) and I love it. I'll be honest, it's not easy, and can be draining at times but for me at least it is rewarding in a way. Everbody has their own experiance of working in that field and it isn't for everyone.

This logo Burnley are using on a hat:

image.thumb.png.253143b95262a3d7e42d50c4756c1289.png

1. It looks a bit shit.

2. The F is the biggest letter. Is it supposed to be burnley FOOTBALL club?

3. The way the F bleeds into the C makes that look like a Euro symbol. The way the F cuts through the B makes it look like an E. E F €?

4. I have no idea if this is a badge Burnley have used in the past, but if they have this is a modernised, clean version of it like so many other overly corporatised logos nowadays.

Literally every other football badge that's just stylised letters like this pulls this look off better.

You say 'he's been quite good with treatment' but the details you present about the situation suggests that he really isn't - unless I'm misreading what you meant by that. 

While the frustration is understandable, the sequence of hugely traumatising events makes 'stubbornness' a highly questionable description of the behaviour. Being stubborn is something like not changing from a set routine for some daft reason. There are all sorts of understandable hang-ups (irrational ones, perhaps) that would explain a reluctance to seek additional medical treatment on top of an existing, terrifying issue. 

Hopefully venting helps but in the cold light of day, I don't think that 'giving a telling' as described from another family member is the best response given the background circumstances. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

You say 'he's been quite good with treatment' but the details you present about the situation suggests that he really isn't - unless I'm misreading what you meant by that. 

While the frustration is understandable, the sequence of hugely traumatising events makes 'stubbornness' a highly questionable description of the behaviour. Being stubborn is something like not changing from a set routine for some daft reason. There are all sorts of understandable hang-ups (irrational ones, perhaps) that would explain a reluctance to seek additional medical treatment on top of an existing, terrifying issue. 

Hopefully venting helps but in the cold light of day, I don't think that 'giving a telling' as described from another family member is the best response given the background circumstances. 

He's been good with the treatment for the leukemia, which for the past while has just been some pills. 

The stubbornness is a fairly long standing thing with him. In 2019 he nearly died as he was ill for a while and refused to go to the doctor. It was only when he couldn't get out of bed one day and my mum had to take him to hospital that he actually got treatment, which at that time was so many transfusions that he basically had all the blood in his body replaced. She said he was almost yellow before and the hospital staff said he it was fortunate that he was taken in when he was.

He definitely needs a 'telling', although of course it won't be some blunt force, lack of empathy, one way diatribe.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

He's been good with the treatment for the leukemia, which for the past while has just been some pills. 

The stubbornness is a fairly long standing thing with him. In 2019 he nearly died as he was ill for a while and refused to go to the doctor. It was only when he couldn't get out of bed one day and my mum had to take him to hospital that he actually got treatment, which at that time was so many transfusions that he basically had all the blood in his body replaced. She said he was almost yellow before and the hospital staff said he it was fortunate that he was taken in when he was.

He definitely needs a 'telling', although of course it won't be some blunt force, lack of empathy, one way diatribe.

There's a striking contrast between the 'he's been quite good with the treatment' claim about a really serious, chronic health issue, with an apparent disinterest to other obvious health issues. It might be worth reconsidering that assumption to try and work out what's going on. It's plausible that there's a more complicated relationship between the two.

It's obviously tremendously distressing to deal with from your perspective, but ultimately parents do not actually owe their (adult) children appropriate behaviour - including their medical care and precautions. Given the sequence of pretty grim and recent events you've laid out, it seems at least possible that there's (at least one) psychological trauma operating here, that a label of 'stubbornness' and response of 'a telling' won't address. Frustrating as I'm sure it is, there's also the risk of making things worse through (slightly) harsh judgment, when compassion for carrying such a fucking enormous emotional burden is being underweighted.

That's just my two cents though.

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

'All Day Breakfasts' that are only served at certain times of the day.

Wtf do trading standards do all day?

One of my mates walked in a pub and said he fancied a bacon roll or a lorne roll and since it was 4pm, those were not available. He was told to get an all day breakfast as that would include both things he wanted on the roll, minus the roll.

why would they serve breakfast at 4pm?

This is the same guy who when asked if he wanted to go to Tenerife for a holiday said he didn't want to spend a week in Fife.*

I also got him to basically rub his skin to the bone after putting marker on it and giving him an eraser to wipe it off.

*Nobody does, mate. Nobody does.

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Anyone who could navigate their way in and out of the centre of Aberdeen, even before the changes, deserves an honorary driving license imo. 

Was easy before. Along the beach, down Virginia St, along guild St, drop off at station. Up Bridge St, across Union St, down Union terrace, woolmanhill and out the town. 

35 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Was easy before. Along the beach, down Virginia St, along guild St, drop off at station. Up Bridge St, across Union St, down Union terrace, woolmanhill and out the town. 

It's wild now. I had a mate up staying for a bit and we went a drive somewhere. It was a bit of a riddy that I, a cyclist, had absolutely no clue how to get through the city with a motor.

We had to make do with the Google maps quine ☺️.

56 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Spent weekend bed,I went out hours yesterday and I have another chest infection.

My wife says take the week off,I right that will go down well at the busiest time of the year.

We already have 7 drivers off.

You’re a better man than I am, if I had a chest infection I’d be taking as much time off as I needed 

3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Spent weekend bed,I went out hours yesterday and I have another chest infection.

My wife says take the week off,I right that will go down well at the busiest time of the year.

We already have 7 drivers off.

Why should having 7 drivers off be the decisive factor in taking a week off? If you’re not fit to go in that’s that. You’re not fit to go in. 

On 02/12/2023 at 20:06, DA Baracus said:

Aye but turns out my maw was seriously ill for ages (suspected stomach cancer) and hid it until she died (actual cause of death was thought to be asphyxiation due to a tumour causing complications*; she had lost a LOT of weight in the months before she died).

So you would have thought he would take this shit seriously. But we suspect he's not doing do well mentally and worry that he doesn't seek help because of 'dark thoughts'. Also, just found out that he fell on Thursday and took 30 minutes to get up. Worried and fucking raging in equal measure after hearing that.

*We decided to not do an autopsy as it would have delayed the funeral.

I read this this morning and it sounds like a shit state of affairs, but I've been reflecting on it.

Your dad's mood is understandably low, he is possibly even suffering from depression. In these situations we tend to turn inwards, not thinking about communicating with others, even those we care about the most.

You obviously care deeply and love your father. I would suggest letting him know this and looking at getting extra support in if necessary (easier said than done).

We need to keep looking after each other. It's the only way forward. 💛

15 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

You’re a better man than I am, if I had a chest infection I’d be taking as much time off as I needed 

I went in and lasted 10 mins,was routing my van and struggled to lift a box.

Went and seen the supervisor and he said well at least you came it and tried to give it a go.

On 02/12/2023 at 12:14, 10menwent2mow said:

The new bus gates in Aberdeen. I don't drive but was hoping I could get a lift to the bus station tomorrow. Genuinely haven't managed to figure out how you can get anywhere near the train/bus station, coming from the North, without getting fined. First bus it is then. 

On 02/12/2023 at 12:58, welshbairn said:

Anyone who could navigate their way in and out of the centre of Aberdeen, even before the changes, deserves an honorary driving license imo. 

Aberdeen city centre is insane just now.

To get from Holburn junction to Castlegate, basically the length of Union St ( I was getting a lift back from Queens Rd to home), you can now drive half way down Union St, turn and go down Sth College Street to the Dee, along the side of the river, back up Market St, round onto Trinity Quay and up Shiprow to the end of Union Street.

At least trebles the distance and quicker to walk.

Crossing the city centre by car is now almost impossible by any sane route.

On 02/12/2023 at 22:46, Miguel Sanchez said:

This logo Burnley are using on a hat:

image.thumb.png.253143b95262a3d7e42d50c4756c1289.png

1. It looks a bit shit.

2. The F is the biggest letter. Is it supposed to be burnley FOOTBALL club?

3. The way the F bleeds into the C makes that look like a Euro symbol. The way the F cuts through the B makes it look like an E. E F €?

4. I have no idea if this is a badge Burnley have used in the past, but if they have this is a modernised, clean version of it like so many other overly corporatised logos nowadays.

Literally every other football badge that's just stylised letters like this pulls this look off better.

I wondered why Kompany is always wearing that cap because it looks a bit shit. Makes sense now 😊