Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

Doubt any supermarket does more than plain time bar holidays.

Sundays were great, worked 8-12 on checkouts, then nearly always 2 -3 hours in warehouse throwing rubbish in compactor to tidy up night shift mess.

A 7 hour shift at double time nearly every Sunday, every little helped.

I think when I was at Safeway we were double time on a Sunday and Double time and a half in a bank holiday. 

Me, after landing two 12hr shifts on Sunday and b/h Monday:

m6VzQz.gif

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I think when I was at Safeway we were double time on a Sunday and Double time and a half in a bank holiday. 

m6VzQz.gif

Young KB (King) Billy Strutting into the local British Legion.....

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Late 90s for me. Also on the checkouts but often got extra shifts doing other stuff. Time and a half for Sundays and bank holidays.

I imagine this is very much a thing of the past.

The NHS is where you want to go if you don't mind d weekend work on your rota. Time and a third Saturdays, Double Sundays. 

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Doubt any supermarket does more than plain time bar holidays.

Asda pay quite a bit more per hour for nights. About 5 years ago I looked at ditching my nightshift role in the printers to go work there on nights. It seemed like it would be an excellent choice.

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I'm that old that my first job at Tesco when still at school I got paid in cash in a wee brown envelope (even Tesco still paid all staff in cash), I worked on the checkouts where you actually had to key in the prices on the till after reading them from price tags stamped on the goods, but you did get time and a half on a Saturday and double time on a Sunday, and my only two shifts were a Saturday and Sunday.

Please note I'm only referring back to the mid 80s. 

A mate of mine worked at Tesco around 2002 and was paid in cash in a brown envelope. I remember it well as it often ended up getting immediately shovelled into the puggy in the pub I worked in.

Think Morrisons was time and a half on Sundays back in 2014/15 ish. 

Only worked Friday evening 6 to 10 then either Saturday or Sunday 12 to 8. Final year at uni, was way better than the hotel when I ended up often doing around 20 hours while full time studying. Still, great times. 

13 hours ago, coprolite said:

I was shocked when one of the folk at my local wee Tesco explained to me (when i popped in at five minutes before closing) that they were trying to finish mopping so they could get out at closing time because they stopped getting paid at eleven on the dot. Still, clubcard prices eh. 

Pretty common in retail, don’t know how the f**k they get away with it, if I didn’t have time to clean before closing and they wanted to moan at me for the place being a shithole in the morning I would be laughing in my bosses face.

As for those boasting about time in a half or double time, I used to get 4X pay for a full shift but only worked 2 hours

Mixed Martial Arts Middle Finger GIF by UFC

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

m6VzQz.gif

Aye, I was the same. Worked Safeway til my first proper job in 1985.

Had a canteen chef who used to do a great weekend brekkie as well.

The night shift guys were absolute nutters. Sure we heard stories of one night crew stealing the entire contents of a truck 😂

Lollipop men and women who are positioned at pedestrian crossings.

They literally press the button for kids, wait until the green man comes on and walk to the middle of the road while people cross.

A total waste of whatever money they're getting paid.

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Lollipop men and women who are positioned at pedestrian crossings.

They literally press the button for kids, wait until the green man comes on and walk to the middle of the road while people cross.

A total waste of whatever money they're getting paid.

No way, man! They're angels. Right behind nurses and the Chinese boys who check old battlefields for live landmines IMO.

I find myself becoming irrationality annoyed about what I regard as misuse of language ... things like "decimated" being used to mean anything other than reduction by a tenth etc. The old meaning was just fine, ta.

Well, tonight, I found this headline in the online Independent... "Farewell Franz Beckenbauer, the last of football’s immortals".

A dead "immortal". FFS.

I'll away back to my pedant's corner now.

I can confirm that, when I worked in them at least, none of the following did anything other than basic wage on a weekend:

- Sainsburys 

- Iceland

- Asda

- Spar

- Dobbies

This was however a long time ago (2007-2013).

Used to love the old supermarket work back in the day. Great laugh. Started in Fine Fare (look it up kids), changed to Somerfield and eventually Asda. Must’ve eaten about 10 times my body weight in wafer thin ham and exotic fruit over the various shifts. Great bunch to work with. Fell asleep in the bogs regularly (hangovers). Main boss was sound and used to put on a summer barbecue (bussed staff off to some place outside Elgin to get absolutely shitfaced etc). Ah, Mrs Gracie and Lorraine. Be still my beating 18 year old heart.

My old dear eventually came to work in Asda which dampened the enthusiasm somewhat but they looked after their staff and ex staff well. When she popped off in 2012, they still invited my old man out for a Christmas dinner even though he had never worked there. 

Supermarkets these days are utter slave drivers compared to what they used to be.

54 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

People behind you on planes that think your head rest is there for them to pull themselves up out their own seats. 🤬

I don't fly often, but my sister in law goes to Italy a couple of times a year.  She reports a new development (in her experience).

Lazy fekkers who board the plane at the front, but instead of taking their hand luggage cases along to where they are sitting, they put it in the overhead lockers at the front as soon as they board before marching up the plane, meaning that the folk with seats at the front have nowhere to put their bags.

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

People behind you on planes that think your head rest is there for them to pull themselves up out their own seats. 🤬

I was on a flight back down from Iceland a few years ago pre-COVID.
Missus had managed to get 1st class via some lottery system Icelandair had, all very nice.

Some massive yank fella in shorts got moved up to first as he couldn't fit in his seat in cattle class, and as he lowered himself into the seat, grabbed the headrest in front.  Well, whole chair came back, wifey sitting in it shot back, drink all over her, while Chester P Fudnugget III is still trying to lower his gargantuan frame into his seat.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I don't fly often, but my sister in law goes to Italy a couple of times a year.  She reports a new development (in her experience).

Lazy fekkers who board the plane at the front, but instead of taking their hand luggage cases along to where they are sitting, they put it in the overhead lockers at the front as soon as they board before marching up the plane, meaning that the folk with seats at the front have nowhere to put their bags.

@Melanius Mullarkay

Academics giving presentations on things that they don't know how to pronounce. Recent example was somebody giving a presentation centering around the prominent hill of Bennachie, which the guy was consistently calling Ben-acky (rather than Ben-a-hee). 

Usually the result of somebody Down South travelling up to Scotland and failing to converse with anybody outwith their little pool of researchers.

Eta: this is actually well beyond 'petty' for me.  The ignorance really grinds my gears.

Edited by Hedgecutter