Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Phone adverts with wee kids in a skatepark or whatever poppin nollies with £1000 devices filming TikTok vids.

On 23/07/2024 at 18:02, dagane said:

Why is this pro/celebrity jigging shite at the top of the news

On 23/07/2024 at 18:04, Boghead ranter said:

Get it cancelled from TV. Please.

The meltdown would be fabulous :)

My partner started a new job last month and was told pay day was the last Wednesday in the month so we've worked on the basis we'll both be paid next week. 

She checked her bank account today and found she's been paid "early". 

She told her mum tonight and the first words out her mum's mouth were "how much did you get?"

Why do people think these questions are acceptable?

38 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

My partner started a new job last month and was told pay day was the last Wednesday in the month so we've worked on the basis we'll both be paid next week. 

She told her mum tonight and the first words out her mum's mouth were "how much did you get?"

How much did she get?

42 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

What else did you want her to ask?

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

Amusingly, this would be perfectly normal in any number of countries, but certainly, as you note, not in the UK. Is her mum perhaps not of the sceptered isle?

2 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Is she not checking that she is okay money wise? Unless it’s a full months worth pay in which case she can ask but seems perfectly okay to say none of your business.

5 hours ago, Venti said:

Phone adverts with wee kids in a skatepark or whatever poppin nollies with £1000 devices filming TikTok vids.

How do you do, fellow kids' has become the 'how do you do, fellow kids' of  memes - The Verge

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

How do you do, fellow kids' has become the 'how do you do, fellow kids' of  memes - The Verge

Jeez.

They could have gotten Steve Buscemi all along & not bothered with Andy Serkis/CGI for Gollum.

13 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Possibly your partner opened the door for this question by mentioning she had been paid. If it was a question that came out of nowhere then I'd be more shocked. 

I have been living in Asia for ever so such questions are daily occurrences. 

Do you have kids? Why not?

How much do you pay for your place? Why don't you get a bigger/smaller place?

Why did you get divorced? Was that your fault?

and so on. 

59 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Possibly your partner opened the door for this question by mentioning she had been paid. If it was a question that came out of nowhere then I'd be more shocked. 

I have been living in Asia for ever so such questions are daily occurrences. 

Do you have kids? Why not?

How much do you pay for your place? Why don't you get a bigger/smaller place?

Why did you get divorced? Was that your fault?

and so on. 

Yep, two of the most questions asked by strangers here. 

How old are you?

How much do you get paid?

It's a statues thing, they are sizing up for how much respect they should give you!

As for your mum asking you, I don't see that as a problem.

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Yep, two of the most questions asked by strangers here. 

How old are you?

How much do you get paid?

It's a statues thing, they are sizing up for how much respect they should give you!

As for your mum asking you, I don't see that as a problem.

That would explain why they rubber ear me! 

I don't know if it's the same in the Land of Smiles but here there is an automatic belief that all foreigners here are wealthy and they cannot accept this isn't always true.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That would explain why they rubber ear me! 

I don't know if it's the same in the Land of Smiles but here there is an automatic belief that all foreigners here are wealthy and they cannot accept this isn't always true.  

Walking wallets is the term that I use.

2 tier price system everywhere you go. It helps that you can tell them to 'shove it up their arse' in their own language at times 😉

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Walking wallets is the term that I use.

2 tier price system everywhere you go. It helps that you can tell them to 'shove it up their arse' in their own language at times 😉

Similar - walking ATMs!

Many guys here talk about a 2-tier pricing system but where I live it's rare - in fact when getting work done they are almost ashamed to ask for too much from me but will to the wife.  So, unlike many couple here I do the negotiations and they even let me think I've got a good deal! 

A case in point - yesterday I needed a wee job done and there was a contractor working 2 doors down.  I asked him to nip over and take a look - he did and just needed to screw something (settle doon Kenneth) which took all of 2 minutes.  When the wife arrived she asked If I gave him something - I said aye, my heartfelt thanks.  (Backstory 1 - she had already paid him before a day's pay for an hour's work so I reckon he owed me;  Backstory 2 - I actually wanted to buy him a beer to say thanks but by the time I was done doing what I was doing he'd already gone home).

FWIW, neither of my parents have ever asked about my earnings/finances.

One however evidently assumed I was doing fine enough when they asked me for a 'loan', which was probably the last time they phoned me unprompted (smalltalk... smalltalk... the reason I'm actually phoning... ).

Somewhat sadly, no call is good news.

Edited by Hedgecutter

People stopping in pathways etc is a well worn one on here, but either iv hit an age related crabbit c**t tripwire, or its getting worse. The examples of complete fucking ignorance I've witnessed in recent weeks has driven me insane. 

To give an example, Morrisons in Falkirk has one door for entrance/exit. Usually on the outside of the door there's a sort of pathway leading up of pallets of whatever outdoor shit is on offer.... plants or charcoal or whatever. So there's about 8 narrow yards where people enter and exist he store. Wife with trolley and auld guy in a electric wheelchair/motorised type deal have clearly shopped together and need to divide their stuff. 

Where do they choose to stop, turn broadside and start gittering about with what's in the bags? 

Imagine being so fucking ride as to fully block the only way in or out of a shop when there acres of room yards from you? 

Fucking awful behaviour but seems to occur every day now