Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

The cat has decided it doesn't like the food we've been giving it for over a year, just after we bulk bought cases of it as it was in offer in Costco. Now having to feed it a different food. Hopefully my daughter's cat won't go off it and she can use it. 

19 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nobody mentioning the socket under a sink - that cannae be safe.

Under nearly every sink in the U.S., for plugging in the garbage disposal...so, yea, unsafe.

13 hours ago, milton75 said:

I would normally agree with the 5-3-3 Rule on mobile numbers, but hypocritically I always say my personal number as 4-3-4 because it fits the numbers better, i.e. the specific digits dictate the cadence/scansion. So, my mobile number (I have changed the numbers, obviously) is 0771 761 7676. Saying it like that makes more sense than 07717 617 676, as there's a symmetry to the final digits.

I also wonder whether people have different views on how mobile numbers should be stated based on whether they grew up with a 4-digit or 5-digit area code.

8 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I use 5-3-3 for my mobile number, and I do wonder if it's because I grew up with a five digit area code.

Almost certainly. In the U.S., numbers are 3-3-4, because all the Area Codes are 3 numbers, and then individual numbers have been 3-4 since they dumped named exchanges (and even then, the exchanges were 2 letters plus 1 number, so still three to dial. So WOodville7-7324, for instance, was asked for the operator as that, or dialed as 967-7324). Area Codes weren't even required for most calls within the Area Code until the mid-00's.

On 19/10/2024 at 14:47, Soapy FFC said:

Buying a bottle of gin in the shops isn't too bad as it's the same price as similar spirits. The issue I have in bars is that they will use a 'premium' tonic, such as fever-tree, and charge you £2-3 for it making a single G&T more expensive than a pint (and for less than half the alcohol).  

Rejected a G&T at a bar a fortnight ago, clown of a barsteward tipped 4/5ths of the tonic into my gin, and drowned it.

On pub measures a bottle of tonic can do me 2 or 3 gins, any good bar staff will never pour more than 50% of the tonic into the gin when putting it on the bar.

I mind when we all got o2 sim cards back years ago (they were the first to offer 300 texts for a tenner), they were nearly all 07732 or 07731 numbers. To think before then we were all paying 10-12p a text to say absolutely f**k all to each other

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I mind when we all got o2 sim cards back years ago (they were the first to offer 300 texts for a tenner), they were nearly all 07732 or 07731 numbers. To think before then we were all paying 10-12p a text to say absolutely f**k all to each other

When we can now do that here for £1 a month!

11 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Nice segway into the time it takes some friends, family, or work colleagues to respond to a genuine question or query via Whatsapp or text message. 99.9% of folk have their phones with them as extension of their arm at times. So frustrating!

Now I appreciate I'm the common denominator and I might inadvertently be starting a "I actually have no friends" thread.

Edited by BukyOHare

28 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

When we can now do that here for £1 a month!

Best bit is now I hardly send any texts (or WhatsApp's/messages) and never call anyone, but pay £8 a month for unlimited text and calls, it's just to death-scroll Facebook and p&b during my breaks at work!

27 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Nice segway into the time it takes some friends, family, or work colleagues to respond to a genuine question or query via Whatsapp or text message. 99.9% of folk have their phones with them as extension of their arm at times. So frustrating!

Now I appreciate I'm the common denominator and I might inadvertently be starting a "I actually have no friends" thread.

Too busy death-scrolling to be having a serious conversation, don't take it personally. I take ages to reply to anyone, need to be in the right frame of mind sometimes

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Two folk standing chatting at the door to Asda tonight blocking the entrance, got past them to be greeted by two folk having a conversation blocking the security barriers to get in the shop. 

Are folk just utterly clueless to what’s going on round about them? 

It's good to talk.

Commoners thread for anything connected to the place called Asda.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Nokia 3410 days. I stl pt the odd txt spk in messages as it was almst prgrmed in2 me 2 spl almst entrly wthout vwls so as 2 kp the txts 2 10p a go. 

(I still put the odd text speak in messages as it was almost programmed into me to spell almost entirely without vowels so as to keep the texts to 10p a go).

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Don't expect sympathy in here. I posted something a while back about this and was slaughtered for "expecting folk to drop everything" for me. Get that, but like you say, when you know the person is never without their phone it's infuriating when you can't contact them. 

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't expect sympathy in here. I posted something a while back about this and was slaughtered for "expecting folk to drop everything" for me. Get that, but like you say, when you know the person is never without their phone it's infuriating when you can't contact them. 

Responding at a decent clip is just good manners to be honest and dont let anybody tell you otherwise. It doesn't take much to respond, too busy, sidetracked etc is just bullish!t to be honest with you.

I'm finding the old adage of not comparing everyone to your own standards definitely applies. Keep doing what you believe is right.

I genuinely respond pretty much immediately to others, thinking that if I don't, it's going to delay them in some way.

Each to their own clearly.

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Responding at a decent clip is just good manners to be honest and dont let anybody tell you otherwise. It doesn't take much to respond, too busy, sidetracked etc is just bullish!t to be honest with you.

I'm finding the old adage of not comparing everyone to your own standards definitely applies. Keep doing what you believe is right.

I genuinely respond pretty much immediately to others, thinking that if I don't, it's going to delay them in some way.

Each to their own clearly.

I’m with you, I try to respond as quickly (within reason) as possible to folk. If someone asks me a question at work I’ll typically tend to get back to them quite quickly because I’ve been in that situation where you need something and the person you’ve asked is just ignoring you. 

Probably making a rod for my own back for the times I can’t respond straight away and folk get arsey