Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I'm on my phone so unsure of how to post the image link directly but you'll like the image on this site:

www.uncyclopedia.org/Durness

--> Geography section

Actually, just post that image up here if you can on my behalf pretty please!

Edited by Hedgecutter

While I don't believe that the BBC has an agenda specifically with their weather, when you combine it with the prejudice against Scottish based shows, their biased political coverage, their explicit statements that they don't need to be balanced When it comes to the referendum,and their blatant shutting down of Scottish, and only Scottish, political discussion, you can be forgiven for Wondering...

I'm on my phone so unsure of how to post the image link directly but you'll like the image on this site:

www.uncyclopedia.org/Durness

--> Geography section

Actually, just post that image up here if you can on my behalf pretty please!

Durnessweather.jpg

Just discovered that myself and a colleague unwittingly stripped out a property containing asbestos sheeting on Saturday without any respiratory gear. I'm now frantically Googling asbestosis. It's some mild comfort that most of the websites I'm finding state that "constant" or "long term" exposure to asbestos fibres is required to trigger related medical problems, but the fact that it takes 15 + years to show means I won't know for ages anyway. :unsure2:

ETA: Majority of info I'm finding states that one off high level exposure or frequent low level exposure is unlikely to result in related illness.

Edited by Sweet Pete

Just discovered that myself and a colleague unwittingly stripped out a property containing asbestos sheeting on Saturday without any respiratory gear. I'm now frantically Googling asbestosis. It's some mild comfort that most of the websites I'm finding state that "constant" or "long term" exposure to asbestos fibres is required to trigger related medical problems, but the fact that it takes 15 + years to show means I won't know for ages anyway. :unsure2:

ETA: Majority of info I'm finding states that one off high level exposure or frequent low level exposure is unlikely to result in related illness.

I hope for your sake and mine that you only get problems through long term exposure. I was of the belief that it only took one fibre and a dose of bad luck to get you asbestosis.

I was wire brushing a roof in Oz in preparation for it getting painted. Halfway through the job I asked my gaffer what material it was and he kindly informed me it was asbestos. That was 12 years ago now, so if I start developing breathing difficulties in the next few years I'll let you know that you can indeed get it off of a one off job.

I would start making a bucket list just now anyway, just in case.

I hope for your sake and mine that you only get problems through long term exposure. I was of the belief that it only took one fibre and a dose of bad luck to get you asbestosis.

I was wire brushing a roof in Oz in preparation for it getting painted. Halfway through the job I asked my gaffer what material it was and he kindly informed me it was asbestos. That was 12 years ago now, so if I start developing breathing difficulties in the next few years I'll let you know that you can indeed get it off of a one off job.

I would start making a bucket list just now anyway, just in case.

I agree. However, the sites I've spent the past half an hour reading all state pretty definitively that it takes long term high level exposure. Fingers crossed.

The spores attach themselves to your lungs, however it takes a shitload to cause harm. My grandad is in his 70's and spent half his apprenticeship around asbestos sheeting and doesn't have any problems, your main issues come if your around it every day for like 15 years.

Weird fact of the day: MDF fibre board, is also hazardous to your health, because of the density of the dust. However it is not banned in the uk. In America. MDF is a banned building substance & asbestos is still completely legal.

The spores attach themselves to your lungs, however it takes a shitload to cause harm. My grandad is in his 70's and spent half his apprenticeship around asbestos sheeting and doesn't have any problems, your main issues come if your around it every day for like 15 years.

Weird fact of the day: MDF fibre board, is also hazardous to your health, because of the density of the dust. However it is not banned in the uk. In America. MDF is a banned building substance & asbestos is still completely legal.

A punter of mine specifically requested that we didn't install MDF skirtings in his property a few years back. He was a bit of an eco warrior and was concerned about the MDF dust's environmental impact. I personally prefer timber skirtings, but the MDF is cheap and convenient so I can see why it's so widely used.

I did a 3 hour lecture/course on asbestos as part of one of my modules last year. Really interesting stuff BTW, did the exam question that came up on it too. Anyway from what you''ve said, I assume it was either Amosite or Crocodolite (Brown & Blue respectively). Which is the one which ; will cause health issues. They are built up of small almost javalin like fibres, which when breathed in will stay in your body for ever., attaching itself to you resipitory system and lung lining.

However it takes a lot of dealing with the stuff to suffer any real problems, they say 15 years if you have a lot of contact with it, which you shouldn't ever have since there are so many guidlines now to follow. Even brief contact can casue harm, but you're looking at that being 50/60 years from now, even then a one off encounter, you would be extremely unlucky to contract asbesotis, at most a slight cough.

Might make you more aware of it now, always check if you're not sure and even then, depending on where it is, since you've disturbed it now, it needs more than respitory equipment, it needs a proper air flow chamber, to make sure contamination isn't had. Cause as soon as asbestos is disturbed, anything and anyone in the immediate area will breath in the fibres. Also hopefully you disgarded any items of clothing worn when you did it, the fibres won't come off easily at all and if washed will simply transfer onto other items, meaning you breath more fibres in off of them.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help, albeit from what I learnt, that was simply the tip of the iceberg relating to this.

A punter of mine specifically requested that we didn't install MDF skirtings in his property a few years back. He was a bit of an eco warrior and was concerned about the MDF dust's environmental impact. I personally prefer timber skirtings, but the MDF is cheap and convenient so I can see why it's so widely used.

MDF doesn't curve or cup like wooden skirting either, bends easier as well if your fitting it on round walls, I'd rather fit it than timber skirting

I did a 3 hour lecture/course on asbestos as part of one of my modules last year. Really interesting stuff BTW, did the exam question that came up on it too. Anyway from what you''ve said, I assume it was either Amosite or Crocodolite (Brown & Blue respectively). Which is the one which ; will cause health issues. They are built up of small almost javalin like fibres, which when breathed in will stay in your body for ever., attaching itself to you resipitory system and lung lining.

However it takes a lot of dealing with the stuff to suffer any real problems, they say 15 years if you have a lot of contact with it, which you shouldn't ever have since there are so many guidlines now to follow. Even brief contact can casue harm, but you're looking at that being 50/60 years from now, even then a one off encounter, you would be extremely unlucky to contract asbesotis, at most a slight cough.

Might make you more aware of it now, always check if you're not sure and even then, depending on where it is, since you've disturbed it now, it needs more than respitory equipment, it needs a proper air flow chamber, to make sure contamination isn't had. Cause as soon as asbestos is disturbed, anything and anyone in the immediate area will breath in the fibres. Also hopefully you disgarded any items of clothing worn when you did it, the fibres won't come off easily at all and if washed will simply transfer onto other items, meaning you breath more fibres in off of them.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help, albeit from what I learnt, that was simply the tip of the iceberg relating to this.

The annoying thing is that I'm in the management side of the industry, so I'm well versed in the protocols and almost never involved in the physical side, but was helping out a client as a favour and the asbestos sheeting was covered by ancient timber cladding, so unidentifiable until afterwards.

MDF doesn't curve or cup like wooden skirting either, bends easier as well if your fitting it on round walls, I'd rather fit it than timber skirting

Oh without doubt it's simpler all round. Though I have found that it doesn't have the same longevity as timber skirtings.

I hope that Welsh tarantula reads this - it might put the wee fella's mind at rest.