Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Also, I'd like to point out that I'm not moaning about wrestling fans in the slightest. I don't mind if they enjoy it, good for them. But it shouldn't really be considered a sport because it's not competitive.

I'd probably put it in with Darts, Snooker and Golf tbh. Not a sport, more of a really talented skill. There's no question that for all it's a fix, some of the moves they do take a helluva lot of skill. Equally, with the 3 others I've mentioned I wouldn't class them as sports because they don't even break sweat whilst performing, but again, it takes a helluva skill to be able to do them well. Those 3 and wrestling are again probably able to be further subcategorised as WWE performers physically tire, but the lack of genuine competitiveness rules it out as a sport for me.

I suppose at some point this was all discussed in a boardroom but they agreed it's too much hassle giving each activity an individual title eg. Sport or skill. So they thought "f£ck it, they're all 'Sport'" lol

I'd probably put it in with Darts, Snooker and Golf tbh. Not a sport, more of a really talented skill. There's no question that for all it's a fix, some of the moves they do take a helluva lot of skill. Equally, with the 3 others I've mentioned I wouldn't class them as sports because they don't even break sweat whilst performing, but again, it takes a helluva skill to be able to do them well. Those 3 and wrestling are again probably able to be further subcategorised as WWE performers physically tire, but the lack of genuine competitiveness rules it out as a sport for me.

I suppose at some point this was all discussed in a boardroom but they agreed it's too much hassle giving each activity an individual title eg. Sport or skill. So they thought "f£ck it, they're all 'Sport'" lol

I think you're underplaying the effort that these guys put in to be on top of their respective sport.

I would argue all of the above put more hours in on the training pitch then any footballer and under more pressure since it's not a team sport

As I remember, the heavy-set gentlemen of my youth sweated like the proverbial.

Not sure that's quite what you meant, however :P

I think you're underplaying the effort that these guys put in to be on top of their respective sport.

I would argue all of the above put more hours in on the training pitch then any footballer and under more pressure since it's not a team sport

I'm not in the slightest. I'm in no way slating them or underestimating the skill and determination required to do these things at the top level. Hence why I class it as a talent. They will put in a helluva mental and emotional exertion en route to mastering their craft, but I don't class an activity that doesn't require a lot of physical exertion as a 'sport'. Definitely no less talent and skill as a top football player though. I just see them as two separate types of activity, that's all.

How can wrestling be fixed? That's like saying fights in films or TV shows are fixed. It's like saying all the fights in the Rocky films are fixed

Your point is entirely correct and confirms why it isn't a sport and shouldn't be categorised as so on Sky or YouTube.

Nope. Official Oxford Dictionary definition: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".

Hint: the word "competes" is crucial here.

The dictionary definition of "compete" is "to take part in a contest".

Contest is "engage in a competition to gain supremacy or power"

Even if the result itself is pre-determined, the wrestlers still have to compete against each other to get that result in their favour by showing throughout these matches and behind the scenes they have the skill and talent to be worthy of winning matches.

I don't have anything at all against wrestling, but I have literally never heard the term 'weapon' being used to describe someone who is physically attractive.

It's used all the time by the young folk of Dundee. As a teacher I get lessons in all of the yoof language and I can confirm that 'weapon' (sometimes 'wep' ) is used to describe someone who is a bit of alright.

It's used all the time by the young folk of Dundee. As a teacher I get lessons in all of the yoof language and I can confirm that 'weapon' (sometimes 'wep' ) is used to describe someone who is a bit of alright.

I've never once used or heard the term weapon, being used in that context.

when do we get to drop e as a prefix for example e-briefing and e-newsletter. everybody gets their info electronically now, it is the norm so can we drop the e now. (lol)

Can we keep it for e-mail?

Don't fancy telling the wife about the mail I had at work. Especially if she wasn't surprised.