Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

It really annoys me when I watch a Scottish game on the telly, like Dunfermline vs Inverness and when the camera is on the manager, you see and hear the coaches in the background shouting absolute pointless drivel as if they know what they are ranting about.

Yes we all have our methods but when I took my team for a game I told them everything they needed to know before they went out and I made sure they listened. Observe the half then get them in and have a quiet word to reinforce instructions or change it if need be and then get the second half under way.

Especially when it's youth football, watching a coach scream "tactics" from the side every two minutes really pisses me off.

I know the fond perception is that footballers are stupid but if they don't know how to listen to instructions before a game and at half time then they're in the wrong job.

I coach ten year olds so I can coach at the top level type post IMO.

Absolute drivel from start to finish.

Explain the difference, other than what you'd say at the intervals.

All the work must be done during training, both in youth and senior.

Explain the difference, other than what you'd say at the intervals.

All the work must be done during training, both in youth and senior.

Have to agree with the others, games change, subs, formations, scoring and losing goals. Teams at any level will need encouragment and the influence of a coach all the way through. You'd be raging if Jim Duffy stood silent on the touch line if Clyde were getting a hammering.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Guest The Phoenix

I'm struggling with this one, Milevskiy.

Let me paint a scenario...

You give your pre-match team talk.

Your team lose three goals in the first ten minutes.

Are you really telling us you'd keep your gob shut and change nothing until half time?

So you wouldn't prepare possible scenarios (eg. lose a goal, get a man sent off etc) before the game? Really?

As I said it should all done in training, pre-match and at half time - if you're forced to shout and bawl during the game for motivation then it says a lot about your players and you as a manager.

I'm struggling with this one, Milevskiy.

Let me paint a scenario...

You give your pre-match team talk.

Your team lose three goals in the first ten minutes.

Are you really telling us you'd keep your gob shut and change nothing until half time?

All changes for scenarios would be pre-rehearsed - if my team were 3-0 down after 10 minutes I would do it accordingly, of course I would.

if you're forced to shout and bawl during the game for motivation then it says a lot about your players and you as a manager.

It suggests that you won't be a very good manager if you neglect your role on the most important stage of the sport: the 90 minutes of play.

So you wouldn't prepare possible scenarios (eg. lose a goal, get a man sent off etc) before the game? Really?

As I said it should all done in training, pre-match and at half time - if you're forced to shout and bawl during the game for motivation then it says a lot about your players and you as a manager.

How long do you have them at training that you can cover every eventuality?

Guest The Phoenix

All changes for scenarios would be pre-rehearsed - if my team were 3-0 down after 10 minutes I would do it accordingly, of course I would.

That's not what I believe I and others thought you were saying.

Anyway, you really believe every reaction to every scenario possible should be pre-rehearsed? :unsure:

You really are mad. ;)

There is no conceivable way you can practice every eventuality.

Teams have to chop and change tactics during the 90 minutes for whatever reason. Maybe one of the opposition players is taking one of your players to the cleaners. How do you prepare for that? You don't. You change and adapt to it. It might mean doubling up on the player or it might mean a switch of formation. It happens, often.

It suggests that you won't be a very good manager if you neglect your role on the most important stage of the sport: the 90 minutes of play.

I just wouldn't see the big difference in yelling "MON WEE MAN!!" etc. If they are good enough footballers both ability and mentally wise then they will motivate themselves during the match.

How long do you have them at training that you can cover every eventuality?

If it was a professional team with professional footballers you wouldn't waste time telling them how to do the fundamentals (how to pass a ball, strike it, control etc) and instead concentrate on your game plan and likely scenarios. You'll know with a scout report where the opponents weaknesses are and you plan for that during training.

Guest The Phoenix

I just wouldn't see the big difference in yelling "MON WEE MAN!!" etc. If they are good enough footballers both ability and mentally wise then they will motivate themselves during the match.

If it was a professional team with professional footballers you wouldn't waste time telling them how to do the fundamentals (how to pass a ball, strike it, control etc) and instead concentrate on your game plan and likely scenarios. You'll know with a scout report where the opponents weaknesses are and you plan for that during training.

Telling players how to pass a ball, strike it, control it etc has got sod all to do with reacting to unfurling scenarios.

And a Manager who doesn't shout encouragement to his players during the game might as well stay in the changing room and have a chug.

You'd be raging if Jim Duffy stood silent on the touch line if Clyde were getting a hammering.

Oh we were used to that one alright. To be fair though, he did use the internationally recognised signal for 'push up' occasionally. We still refer to that as 'doing a Duffy'.

There is no conceivable way you can practice every eventuality.

Teams have to chop and change tactics during the 90 minutes for whatever reason. Maybe one of the opposition players is taking one of your players to the cleaners. How do you prepare for that? You don't. You change and adapt to it. It might mean doubling up on the player or it might mean a switch of formation. It happens, often.

That's a scenario that happens often during games as you say. Why shouldn't that be planned for?

I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones who were slating John Brown for standing in his dugout doing nothing when we were getting pumped every week, Milevskiy.

I refuse to believe John Brown done anything in training so marching about on the touchline would hardly make a difference.

That isn't how management works. You don't find out the mentality of players until they are placed in real situations, whether they cope under different pressures, and whether they respond to instructions.

It's as stupid an argument as saying no side should miss a penalty in a shoot-out, so long as they practice them in training regularly. Training and match situations are not comparable.

No amount of preparation can account for individual performances on the day. These require fast and correct in structions from the touchline, rather than having a Jim McInally figure leaning against the wall hoping for the best. It is a complete dereliction of duty to rely solely on training, rather than reading and reacting to play as it happens.

As I said, if this is your mindset then you won't be a very good manager.