Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just saw two pitbull-type dogs fighting each other outside the petshop on London Road. The owner of one was kicking his dog in the head to break it up, while the other wailed "get it off my fucking dog" over and over.

Pitbulls and staffies can be lovely pets, I understand. Perhaps they should do an IQ test on those who are permitted to own them.

George St in Aberdeen is full of folk walking their staffies and they look like the happiest and friendliest 'beasts' in the world (the dogs anyway).

Although not entirely relevant, I'm going to use this as an excuse to tell the world that I got a High-5 off of Angus the Bull in one of the Aberdeen shopping centres last night. cool.gif

I quite liked the way Aberdeen had him running about town during late night shopping, doing a nice wee bit of PR. I wonder if Sammy the Tammy does this around the Kingsgate in Dunfermline? Bloody well should be at this time!

Not sure who the poster is that you're referring to, but it's a certainty that they gave up arguing the toss with you because it is utterly pointless.

Not sure who the poster is that you're referring to, but it's a certainty that they gave up arguing the toss with you because it is utterly pointless.

Eh???

How's saying I met Angus and that the Pars should have some similar PR in town arguing with someone?!

Er, right, and this might be relevant if Everton had these programmes and Van Der Meyde contributed to them - did he?

Yes, van der Meyde took part in outreach and promotional events for Everton not long after he signed. Obviously as he lost fitness and form and fell out with the club he did less of them. As I said in my last post, if you thought before posting you'd already have considered these things.

Even then, what are these codes of conduct? Somehow I think players are breaking basic human decency codes every time they step on a pitch and abuse the referee, why isn't that getting more criticism if they are supposedly role models? Why don't clubs do anything about it? Why do some clubs blatantly and actively encourage it? These codes of conduct are utterly hypocritical.

So a player's contractual duties "might be relevant", whereas something we're not even discussing just now happens to be the most important issue of the day. Ohhhkay.

This might well be true for a very small number of players, of which Van Der Meyde isn't really one. Nobody, in England anyway, looked up to him. But let's look at what he was being criticised for:

1) Breaking up his own marriage - footballers are entitled to do this, all people are.

2) Consuming recreational drugs - in my mind, absolutely not worse than consuming alcohol or tobacco. And certainly a lot better than the doping that undoubtedly goes on throughout the country.

And, beyond that, nobody was aware of number 2 until he wrote about it in his book. Long after he's been relevant and long after anyone (kid or not) looked up to him for any kind of inspiration.

I don't think there's anything wrong with these two points either, but A) it doesn't change the fact that his club certainly had a problem with 2, and B) actually a lot of people were aware that VDM had issues with both alcohol and other drugs.

And even if players are aware of it they absolutely do not have to adhere to it and be a role model. And neither do those in the entertainment industry, for that matter.

Well, no, they don't have to legally, or even morally, but they are in a public industry working for demanding employees and sponsors, therefore their actions have consequences.

When did anyone find holes in it? The poster in question left in disgrace, it was only the rest of my unfortunate hangers on who decided to ruin the thread.

I've found a hole in it now - that as part of VDM's duties as a professional footballer he'd be party to certain requirements from his club, requirements which he didn't meet.

And yes, my hangers on are tedious and boring, they very readily take threads off on a tangent.

I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't like my contributions, simply stop reading, and unlike the many who preach this line and fail try and do it without making a song and dance about it. I certainly won't notice when you're gone.

You're accusing other people of taking threads off on a tangent when yet again you've made this about referees, or at least tried to.

Uhuh, and having done this, no the war on drugs still doesn't protect people and no I don't have an intrinsic hatred for all divorced people.

It's not me dragging the topic away from the central issues.

Like by turning it into a(nother) referee rant? Yes, you've reffed at a low level, I think everyone on Misc. knows this now. The respect afforded referees is so deeply unrelated to VDM's conduct yet you brought it up anyway.

Just saw two pitbull-type dogs fighting each other outside the petshop on London Road. The owner of one was kicking his dog in the head to break it up, while the other wailed "get it off my fucking dog" over and over.

Pitbulls and staffies can be lovely pets, I understand. Perhaps they should do an IQ test on those who are permitted to own them.

My dog's a staffy and he's sound as f**k. I sometimes even give him a chew if he's been a good boy. His names Mylo. Would you like a picture?

smile.gif

Yes, van der Meyde took part in outreach and promotional events for Everton not long after he signed. Obviously as he lost fitness and form and fell out with the club he did less of them. As I said in my last post, if you thought before posting you'd already have considered these things.

I don't think there's anything wrong with these two points either, but A) it doesn't change the fact that his club certainly had a problem with 2, and B) actually a lot of people were aware that VDM had issues with both alcohol and other drugs.

Well, no, they don't have to legally, or even morally, but they are in a public industry working for demanding employees and sponsors, therefore their actions have consequences.

Okay, so whilst he was doing these community outreach programmes he might well have been adhering to the other aspects of the code of conduct.

The club wouldn't have had a problem with 2 - they clearly didn't know. If they had known, and could prove it, they would have sacked him on the spot. They would have been desperate to get out of paying him so the idea that everyone knew about his drug problem and did nothing about it is patently ridiculous.

The actions of everyone have consequences, I couldn't care less than VDM took recreational drugs or split up from his marriage. I absolutely do not look up to footballers in any capacity and would urge all others to do the same.

I've found a hole in it now - that as part of VDM's duties as a professional footballer he'd be party to certain requirements from his club, requirements which he didn't meet.

You're accusing other people of taking threads off on a tangent when yet again you've made this about referees, or at least tried to.

Like by turning it into a(nother) referee rant? Yes, you've reffed at a low level, I think everyone on Misc. knows this now. The respect afforded referees is so deeply unrelated to VDM's conduct yet you brought it up anyway.

Clearly not contractual requirements - or he would have been sacked.

Your guess as to my personal circumstances is laughable and irrelevant, footballers do not abide by codes of conduct as you claimed they did in your initial post. Codes of conduct are utter bullshit and you know it, every time a footballer gets booked for dissent he is not living up to the requirements set by the club. And it's interesting you try to personalise a point you can't think of a cogent response to. Of course it's not relevant - because it exposes a huge flaw in your code of conduct nonsense.

My dog's a staffy and he's sound as f**k. I sometimes even give him a chew if he's been a good boy. His names Mylo. Would you like a picture?

smile.gif

Perhaps they should Chris, perhaps they should.

How disappointing that one of Supras' Misc Football arguments has spilled over into this thread.

I wouldn't put him in this thread, truth be told. I actually find it quite funny how important having the same boring argument with so many different people about the population of Andorra actually is to him. Pathetic, yes. Annoying, not so much.

smile.gif

I, personally, would love to see a picture of your dog. Is it a photo our an actual picture that you've drawn? I'd still like to see it either way. I'd like to see both, in fact, if you have them.

He thought the war on drugs protected people.

So, you know, he's an idiot.

How disappointing that one of Supras' Misc Football arguments has spilled over into this thread.

I wouldn't put him in this thread, truth be told. I actually find it quite funny how important having the same boring argument with so many different people about the population of Andorra actually is to him. Pathetic, yes. Annoying, not so much.

Nightmare is one of the many posters who has never quite recovered from being utterly embarrassed by me,

His seethe is palpable in every post he makes.

Okay, so whilst he was doing these community outreach programmes he might well have been adhering to the other aspects of the code of conduct.

The club wouldn't have had a problem with 2 - they clearly didn't know. If they had known, and could prove it, they would have sacked him on the spot. They would have been desperate to get out of paying him so the idea that everyone knew about his drug problem and did nothing about it is patently ridiculous.

The actions of everyone have consequences, I couldn't care less than VDM took recreational drugs or split up from his marriage. I absolutely do not look up to footballers in any capacity and would urge all others to do the same.

For VDM's first 2-3 years at Everton he was a valued member of the squad whom they wanted to keep. At the end of his tenure - yep, if they could have done it without causing a mess, they probably would have gotten rid of him. Proving that someone is out taking drugs - which, as you say, would have been grounds for sacking - is a lot harder than it sounds. You can't follow them into a cubicle with a camera.

Clearly not contractual requirements - or he would have been sacked.

Your guess as to my personal circumstances is laughable and irrelevant, footballers do not abide by codes of conduct as you claimed they did in your initial post. Codes of conduct are utter bullshit and you know it, every time a footballer gets booked for dissent he is not living up to the requirements set by the club. And it's interesting you try to personalise a point you can't think of a cogent response to. Of course it's not relevant - because it exposes a huge flaw in your code of conduct nonsense.

Again, your complete inability to even think of an exception or nuance ruins your post. Do you think a code of conduct means "do X or be sacked" in professional football? If you followed the game at all you'd know players frequently get fined for picking up 'daft' red cards, and in the very story that prompted this discussion, VDM says he got fined £30k for going out drinking two days before a match. It simply isn't the case that in professional football, one single offence of any kind means you're fired; and nor is it the case that managers just ignore dissent against referees. Do you think Danny Wilson gave Paolo di Canio a big hug after he shoved that ref over? It simply isn't true that if footballers aren't getting constantly sacked that managers are fine with their conduct. A lot of managers just prefer to keep things in-house.

Nightmare is one of the many posters who has never quite recovered from being utterly embarrassed by me,

His seethe is palpable in every post he makes.

This is an interesting train of thought from someone who once invented a quote and put it in their signature after being well and truly put in their place.

Guest The Phoenix

Nightmare is one of the many posters who has never quite recovered from being utterly embarrassed by me.

Fair point.

I doubt anyone would recover from such an utter embarrassment.