Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Well fired roll, real butter and broon sauce is the right way to have a bacon roll.

I've actually never had a well-fired roll. I like burnt toast though, so I reckon I'd like them. I tend to get those morning rolls that newsagents and so on stock. The ones with quite crispy tops and a decent chewy texture to the bread. You don't seem to be able to get a decent roll from a supermarket.

I've actually never had a well-fired roll. I like burnt toast though, so I reckon I'd like them. I tend to get those morning rolls that newsagents and so on stock. The ones with quite crispy tops and a decent chewy texture to the bread. You don't seem to be able to get a decent roll from a supermarket.

Spare a thought for us in Dundee. Those rolls don't exist anywhere!

It's the only thing I miss about the west coast. All my relatives have to bring a bag of paper shop rolls on every visit.

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Showers where the floor is just a flat continuation the bathroom floor. Essentially nothing but a shower head and a bit of glass in the corner of the room, particularly those with a gap underneath just to help flood the room even more.

The term "wet room" is very apt.

5 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

'Well-fired (burnt) rolls' are weird. Why would anyone want deliberately burnt food?

I will admit that this puts me in the OFTW category, but I used to be quite partial to severely burnt toast, allowed to cool, with butter then applied. You can't put the butter on while hot, this is important.

I would still have it as a treat, but the missus goes on about cancer etc.

I will admit that this puts me in the OFTW category, but I used to be quite partial to severely burnt toast, allowed to cool, with butter then applied. You can't put the butter on while hot, this is important.

Overlooking the bizarre burnt bit, why would you put the butter on cold? Harder to spread and it won't melt into the toast which is a large part of the benefit to adding butter.

Right, ignore the cold burnt toast, ignore the butter, what's this about toast and cancer? I fucking love toast...

9 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Overlooking the bizarre burnt bit, why would you put the butter on cold? Harder to spread and it won't melt into the toast which is a large part of the benefit to adding butter.

It is harder to spread, but if you do it hot the burnt surface of the toast mixes with it and it goes black and manky. Also it sinks into the bread. You have to treat this snack as a totally different concept to hot buttered toast, which is a completely different delight. With cold burnt toast the butter is spread on, but remains separate and distinct to the bread.

5 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Right, ignore the cold burnt toast, ignore the butter, what's this about toast and cancer? I fucking love toast...

The burnt bits are apparently carcinogenic. 

Well fired rolls are fantastic now and again. You need to find a good bakers or newsagents that does them. Just like a morning roll with a nice fired top to add a bit of extra taste.

Supermarket rolls do tend to be rather poor in comparison, but sometimes they're okay.

'Well-fired (burnt) rolls' are weird. Why would anyone want deliberately burnt food?

They're not burnt right through though. Well, the good ones aren't. Just a nice char on top.

Aye, there was some bollocks on the news last week that some experts reckon we all need to stop eating toast especially if it's burnt, because we'll all get cancer from it.

We'd eat fuck all and die of starvation if we listened to these experts.