Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, Spartans Telly said:

Bury is not to bad & it's got a decent tram service to Manchester & they don't talk daft. 

I was devastated to find that the Mumps Bridge had been demolished to make way for this monstrosity.

The same p***k who woke me up last week just booked ten days holiday over my birthday so I cannae get that weeked aff anymore.

Also means this is my first day of 24 days in a row working.

That same p***k also nearly went on strike for working 10 days in a row last month.

It might not be apparent yet but I fucking despise everyone I work with.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I doubt anyone will be surprised to learn the area is where the Luddites originated, and more recently are Brexit-y types.

Can't remember any of the names involved but was told an anectdote about some big cotton mill owner down there who was advised to modernise his practices or he would lose business to the likes of India.

He replied that there was nothing to fear because no one could spin cotton like Lancashire lads and lasses.

15 years later there were no cotton mills left in Lancashire!

4 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Can't remember any of the names involved but was told an anectdote about some big cotton mill owner down there who was advised to modernise his practices or he would lose business to the likes of India.

He replied that there was nothing to fear because no one could spin cotton like Lancashire lads and lasses.

15 years later there were no cotton mills left in Lancashire!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Tomatoes were developed to accompany bacon and sausage. Hash browns are a made up thing to fill space on plates that should be taken up by better stuff like extra sausage, bacon, black pudding/haggis etc.

Tattie scone.

Worse.

Mental Health Trust

Should have known that. My last job was for a similar association and it was complete shit. I've been away from it for a year now and am still getting used to not receiving phone calls on my days off asking if I can work :lol:

I just had a lovely breakfast in a hotel near Telford (poached egg, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, grilled field mushroom, hash brown, toast).
The breakfast was perfect, but it did make me think of many poor hotel breakfasts I've had over the years, so my PTTGOYN for today is places that advertise grilled tomatoes then serve a near-raw tomato. I have even once encountered tinned tomatoes! Abhorrent.

A couple of weeks ago I had to extend a work trip at the very last minute, so ended up scrambling to find a hotel on the day. The only one within my company limits was a Holiday Inn Express to the east of Leeds. Holiday Inn Express is normally okay, but this place was like a hostel. There was a lager tap on the end of the reception desk, and questionable stains on the stairwell carpet. The room looked like an xhamster set.

I got up nice and early for what I expected to be a decent breakfast - there was a small toaster, some rock hard croissants and a cooked breakfast consisted of beans, sausages and scrambled eggs. Soul destroying.

A couple of weeks ago I had to extend a work trip at the very last minute, so ended up scrambling to find a hotel on the day. The only one within my company limits was a Holiday Inn Express to the east of Leeds. Holiday Inn Express is normally okay, but this place was like a hostel. There was a lager tap on the end of the reception desk, and questionable stains on the stairwell carpet. The room looked like an xhamster set.

I got up nice and early for what I expected to be a decent breakfast - there was a small toaster, some rock hard croissants and a cooked breakfast consisted of beans, sausages and scrambled eggs. Soul destroying.

A while ago we were trying to decide which hotels to set up rates with in Aberdeen. It meant that several of us stayed in a variety of places on our trips up there, testing them out.
One night I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in the city centre and experienced the same as yourself.

- cheap sausages
- rubbery scrambled egg
- beans you had to ladle out a metal jug

I sat and forlornly pictured my usual breakfast a few blocks away in the Bauhaus, where I could watch the chef make whatever I wanted in the open kitchen.
We didn't set up rates with Holiday Inn.

I will also add that the lifts were filthy and carpet in the corridors was patched up with gaffa tape.

A while ago we were trying to decide which hotels to set up rates with in Aberdeen. It meant that several of us stayed in a variety of places on our trips up there, testing them out.
One night I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in the city centre and experienced the same as yourself.

- cheap sausages
- rubbery scrambled egg
- beans you had to ladle out a metal jug

I sat and forlornly pictured my usual breakfast a few blocks away in the Bauhaus, where I could watch the chef make whatever I wanted in the open kitchen.
We didn't set up rates with Holiday Inn.

I will also add that the lifts were filthy and carpet in the corridors was patched up with gaffa tape.

There is a massive difference between Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn! Every Holiday Inn I have stayed in has been excellent, with breakfast options that would suit everyone. There's not much difference between a Holiday Inn and a Crowne Plaza, so IHG hotels are generally a safe bet.

Express ones are shiteholes though, I am surprised they would blacken their name with those cesspits. The only other time I booked an Express was in Glasgow, they put me next door in the Holiday Inn for free because it was too quiet to open. A lucky escape IMO.