Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

If you want a freshly-cooked b'fast then don't book in to a hotel chain.

Maybe the cheap ones, like Travelodges etc but I've not had a bad breakfast in decent chain hotels.

I guess, if you want to be sure to have a decent breakfast then don't stay in a hotel at all..

4 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Maybe the cheap ones, like Travelodges etc but I've not had a bad breakfast in decent chain hotels.

Similarly, my sister swears by M&S ready meals and, ok, they are not bad but you know you could cook better at home.

The amount of people in Bolton who can't words like bottle and hospital, and instead say bockle and hospickal. It's probably my least favourite thing about staying here.

And Kekkle instead of kettel is another one I remember.

"Areet cock", as a friendly greeting. 
Have you visited the delightful village of Farnworth yet? 

I spent a few months there in a B&B before I moved to Horwich. Used to have a pint in The Shakespeare. Not the best place I've ever lived. Might be the worst t.b.h.

If we're speaking about Greater Manchester shitholes, I'd like to nominate Heywood. The big decision in life for them is trying to decide whether to get the bus to Bury or Rochdale for their shopping or night out. 

A horrible place filled with complete scum. Only comparable place I've been in up here is Fallin. 

8 minutes ago, milton75 said:

This really is petty, because it affects me not one jot. But... why do Taxi drivers have the (usually pretty ropey) names of their offspring scrawled across the back of their cabs?

I've seen that, but the way some of them drive I always assumed the names were their confirmed kills.

article-2137263-12D73106000005DC-815_964x1050.jpg

Re hotel breakfasts - If you are staying in a town centre or city centre is there any reason to have breakfast at the hotel? Anytime I am home with the missus I need to book a hotel in the West End or Centre of Glasgow, but I would never pay for breakfast at the hotel when there are plenty of places within a few minutes walk that will do a far better effort and generally for a much lower cost.

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Re hotel breakfasts - If you are staying in a town centre or city centre is there any reason to have breakfast at the hotel? Anytime I am home with the missus I need to book a hotel in the West End or Centre of Glasgow, but I would never pay for breakfast at the hotel when there are plenty of places within a few minutes walk that will do a far better effort and generally for a much lower cost.

If you're staying for leisure purposes then I agree - particularly as it's an excuse for a wander and a meal out. But when in a hotel for work I generally just need to to get sorted within a relatively short timeframe.

The price increase if you are staying in a hotel is usually not that much. I think they only publish a seperate price for effect, to convince you what a bargain you got. The main advantage is the buffet lay out, allowing several visits. Before stealing the rolls, cold meat, cheese and pastries for your lunch.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Thats why I have a sad face.

Just watch you don't get trampled by throbber's girl on a chip-hunt. I just had word that throbber had been visiting my side of town. I must take issue with the guards about why the hounds were not released. 

Aye the Shakespeare wasn't so bad, dunno what it's like now but that is not your "normal" Farnworth pub, I meant more along the main Street area. 
Horwich eh, that reminds me of the time I made the B.E.N. As the Horwich Hoaxer, I'm sure I've already posted the story somewhere on here. It's going back a bit to when the Trotters first moved up to Horwich, I was winding up a mate who was season ticket holder. I'd done a fake letter saying he'd been chosen as 1 of 100 lucky fans to an exclusive day/evening at the Reebok for the launch of the DVD "Burnden the end of an era". Bring a dinner suit to the Wimbldon home game & there's a meal & after dinner speakers etc.
I showed it to a couple of workmates who were also big Trotters fans & they wanted a couple of copies to send to their mates. 
So the letters get duly sent & obviously folk are suspicious & ring the club but because none of the lads know any of the others ringing in the club start shitting themselves & put it in the paper about the hoax & there's no such video & anyone of the 100 who may have received the letter please don't turn up to the match with a dinner suit. No such event is taking place. So I replied to say it was just a wind-up & called myself the Horwich Hoaxer (not very original but it made me smile). 
Then someone wrote in to the paper that it was a good idea & BWFC should do such an event. 
A lass I used to work with, her husband worked at Warbies & they both were season ticket holders, I met them in an Indian one night & got talking to the guy who was with them & it turned out to be Alan Fullelove, he was some bigwig at BWFC & I owned up to him that I was the Horwich Hoaxer & he told me they had put extra stewards on that day just in case a load of fans turned up with dinner suits. 

I remember reading that on here before.   

I only ever went to one pub in the main street in Farnworth, no idea of its' name but it was opposite Burtons.

We moved to Chorley after Horwich - first night out we were having a drink in Sams Bar and a girl ran out of the disco area of Sams and up a lane and proceeded to have a pee. I thought then "This is just like Dundee, it'll do me".

A lot of shit towns and villages around about Lancashire and Greater Manchester but we had a great time living there.

I'd vote for Leigh as one of the worst.

12 minutes ago, Spartans Telly said:

Aye a lot of the old mining towns went to shit after the '80's, same up here. I once went out with a lass from Leigh, didn't last long. I can't even remember her first name never mind her last, no doubt I wasn't a memorable shag either. 

At least there would have been plenty of disused mine shafts for you to pop her down once you were finished your business.