Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Aye, there was some bollocks on the news last week that some experts reckon we all need to stop eating toast especially if it's burnt, because we'll all get cancer from it.

We'd eat fuck all and die of starvation if we listened to these experts.

The guy who did that study was on the radio last week saying that all food should be golden at most and even cooking it til it's brown is overdoing it due to the acrylamide that forms in burnt food.

Unfortunately for him the show host had a quote from a professor from the same university saying that it was a lot of shite and you would have to be eating thousands of slices of toast a day for it to have a negative effect.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Spare a thought for us in Dundee. Those rolls don't exist anywhere!

It's the only thing I miss about the west coast. All my relatives have to bring a bag of paper shop rolls on every visit.

Bayne's on Lochee High Street do a decent well-fired roll...

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Well fired rolls are fantastic now and again. You need to find a good bakers or newsagents that does them. Just like a morning roll with a nice fired top to add a bit of extra taste.

Supermarket rolls do tend to be rather poor in comparison, but sometimes they're okay.

They're not burnt right through though. Well, the good ones aren't. Just a nice char on top.

Aye, there was some bollocks on the news last week that some experts reckon we all need to stop eating toast especially if it's burnt, because we'll all get cancer from it.

We'd eat fuck all and die of starvation if we listened to these experts.

It's just food, not love. 

Overlooking the bizarre burnt bit, why would you put the butter on cold? Harder to spread and it won't melt into the toast which is a large part of the benefit to adding butter.

When I stay in hotels which is very often I love getting those last couple of bits of cold toast and unmelted butter. Then a hot drop of tea. Replete. Back to the room forra shite then a lie down.

Stuck behind two bams getting off the train in Aberdeen,

Bam One - 'Into the office and a cup of tea and get going'

Bam Two (or SuperBam) - 'Yh can't beat a cup of Rosie in the morning'.

Please note they both had Aberdonian/North-East accents.

PTTGOYN - You can beat a cup of tea, having a day off and heading for a pub for a pint does and

All people that use cockney slang are cocks, those people that use cockney slang that don't have cockney accents are Cockwombles.

8 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The guy who did that study was on the radio last week saying that all food should be golden at most and even cooking it til it's brown is overdoing it due to the acrylamide that forms in burnt food.

Unfortunately for him the show host had a quote from a professor from the same university saying that it was a lot of shite and you would have to be eating thousands of slices of toast a day for it to have a negative effect.

That's a relief.

I only eat 950 slices of toast per day - so I guess I should be okay.

Can't say the same for my toaster though.

22 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

A toaster makes a great substitute for a lighter so I can see the link between toasters and cancer. Always feels satisfyingly caveman-like lighting up off the toaster elements.

Lighting off an electric grill is great for getting one of those eyebrow slits.

I'm not anti-religious but some of the sickening Christian stuff you get shoved down your throat in this country irritates me.

They just had some preacher type on Radio 2 talking about a woman who was tortured and a slave for 11 years, she later converted to Christianity. When she was asked what she would do if she saw her captors again she said she would kiss them and thank them as if it wasn't for them she would never have become a Christian.

That's a tale about how oppressive and slave like Christianity is if I've ever heard it. But instead of being disgusted by this we are apparently supposed to find it heart-warming?

Slightly surprised religious stuff like that is allowed on breakfast radio on radio 2 tbh.

4 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I'm not anti-religious but some of the sickening Christian stuff you get shoved down your throat in this country irritates me.

They just had some preacher type on Radio 2 talking about a woman who was tortured and a slave for 11 years, she later converted to Christianity. When she was asked what she would do if she saw her captors again she said she would kiss them and thank them as if it wasn't for them she would never have become a Christian.

That's a tale about how oppressive and slave like Christianity is if I've ever heard it. But instead of being disgusted by this we are apparently supposed to find it heart-warming?

Slightly surprised religious stuff like that is allowed on breakfast radio on radio 2 tbh.

I wonder if she was able to say it with a straight face.  That is the beauty of radio.

I just had a lovely breakfast in a hotel near Telford (poached egg, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, grilled field mushroom, hash brown, toast).

The breakfast was perfect, but it did make me think of many poor hotel breakfasts I've had over the years, so my PTTGOYN for today is places that advertise grilled tomatoes then serve a near-raw tomato. I have even once encountered tinned tomatoes! Abhorrent.