Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Exactly. It's not a job because they're not being paid for it. They may work harder than somebody who is earning a wage but it's NOT A JOB.

I agree it's not a job for the reason you gave, but the question was "What do you do?" not "What is your Job?"  I'd say the answer "I'm a full-time/stay at home mum." would be a perfectly acceptable for such a question.

Just now, hk blues said:

I agree it's not a job for the reason you gave, but the question was "What do you do?" not "What is your Job?"  I'd say the answer "I'm a full-time/stay at home mum." would be a perfectly acceptable for such a question.

Initially I started off this reply by saying I disagreed with you but as I reread it before sending I realised we're probably on the same side. The rest of this reply is what I originally wrote.

Why do people assume that "What do you do?" is an enquiry about their employment status? A perfectly acceptable answer (IMO) would be "I go to the football" or "On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea!" But everybody seems to answer it with regard to that part of their day in which they're earning money.

Possibly it's shorthand for "What do you do for a living?" - in which case a stay-at-home parent would be entitled to answer "Nothing."

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The term "full-time mum". Get tae f**k. I've nothing against stay at home mums but that terminology annoys me. Does that mean parents who work are part-timers? They're no more of a mum being at home than working mums are. The role of a parent is always full-time.

53 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I suppose they are just trying to differentiate between a working mum and non-working mum?  I'll stick my tin hat on here,  but if they are at home full-time then they are probably more of a mum than those who work.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying a better mum, just more present. 

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

'Stay at home' mum is the correct term then. I just find 'full-time mum' quite offensive to those mums who have to go out and work.

Aye you definitely need your tin hat on here! They will be more present, but in no way does that make them "more of a mum" imo. Part of a parents role is to go out and provide for their family so you could even argue that working mums are "more of a mum".

41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't see any problem with full-time mum t.b.h.   Then again, I'm not a mum.

I knew 'more of a mum' would rile, but I did specifically state NOT better and simply more present, so I'm not sure why you've ignored that

36 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I did acknowledge what you said, the first part of the last sentence above does so.

The problem with "full-time" is that the role of a parent is a full-time lifelong commitment whether you work or not. A good parent can't decide to take a week off from parenting, they are all full-time. Going to work doesn't make them part-time parents.

Again, I'm not questioning the roles of either side, I'm saying the wording is wrong. They are 'stay at home' mums. Both working mums and non-working mums are both still full-time mums!

31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Fair enough.

It depends how you define full-time, doesn't it?  I'm working with not having another job but I'm sure others  (including you) may have another idea.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The role of a parent is full-time is my point.

Another issue is that it's spouted around as if it's a job:-

"What do you do?"
"I'm a full-time mum"

It's not a job. I doubt it would be a walk in the park being a stay at home parent, but it's not a job.

The correct answer there is "I don't have a job but I'm a stay at home parent".

820361.gif?b64lines=

These "oddly satisfying" videos that are everywhere now, just videos of completely mundane things that aren't satisfying whatsoever.

"This video of plastic being melted is oddly satisfying to watch"

"This video of a piece of metal spinning on a lathe is oddly satisfying to watch"

"This video of a door stop being made is oddly satisfying to watch"

The only video that would satisfy me is a video of these wankers having their heads blown off.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The term "full-time mum". Get tae f**k. I've nothing against stay at home mums but that terminology annoys me. Does that mean parents who work are part-timers? They're no more of a mum being at home than working mums are. The role of a parent is always full-time.

Full time mum is a term used by Vicky Pollard esque simpletons with baggy fannies. These are facts

On the flip side of that, there is a big deal made about how much people dislike it as well. It’s fairly inoffensive and chicken and chips is a perfect meal for lots of people, there are far more offensive chain restaurants like the Filling station or Frank and Bennys.

And Franky and Bennies mediocre Italian food seems like a great option compared to their counterparts at Chiquito’s