Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

This has been mentioned before, but drivers who don’t understand how average speed cameras work.  
Laughable more than annoying tbh.  How can you not understand the concept?

We only do it to annoy you.

How do they work?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

This has been mentioned before, but drivers who don’t understand how average speed cameras work.  

Fucking dangerous when they futilely slam the brakes on when they spot a set of cameras, and throttle up after.

Edited by welshbairn

Slight acquaintances - friends of friends and so on - who seem to think randomly running into them in the street is sufficient occasion for you to miss the train you're clearly rushing to get - worse still when they get offended because you've decided the golden chance of three minutes of inane "What you been up to?" "Same old same old..." type of shite isn't worth hanging around half an hour till the next train for.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I like them in principle but wonder what would happen if you flew past them at 80 mph giving them the viccies then reverted back to a steady 65 mph. And then repeat...

Just now, Angusfifer said:

I like them in principle but wonder what would happen if you flew past them at 80 mph giving them the viccies then reverted back to a steady 65 mph. And then repeat...

Nothing would happen they’re average speed cameras.  HTH.

Similarly people who slow down to about 55 for normal speed cameras. Just drive at the limit FFS.

Do they take the average between any given two, or over the entire stretch of road they cover? IE if I go through 4 cameras averaging 60, am I then clear to go up to 80 for the next few?
No. You'd get a speeding fine.

If it was the entire stretch of road then surely they'd only need two cameras?

No. You'd get a speeding fine.

If it was the entire stretch of road then surely they'd only need two cameras?
Yeah, but it could be the average taken from each camera you pass....

It makes sense that its point to point, but I just realiser I never knew for sure.

It makes sense that its point to point, but I just realiser I never knew for sure.
If it was the average from each camera then the numpties speeding in between them would be sensible drivers.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The cameras are 'paired' to work out your average speed. They don't use them all to make a calculation. Only the Police/operators know which 'pairs' are  used in any given stretch of road, and they're able to change pairings as and when deemed fit.

The cameras are 'paired' to work out your average speed. They don't use them all to make a calculation. Only the Police/operators know which 'pairs' are  used in any given stretch of road, and they're able to change pairings as and when deemed fit.
What does paired mean? Taking the speed or the time it takes you between the two cameras?

If it's not the latter then I've been doing it all wrong.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What does paired mean? Taking the speed or the time it takes you between the two cameras?

If it's not the latter then I've been doing it all wrong.

You're doing it right.

They're paired and used to work out time and therefore average speed. They have no capability to work out speed at passing of an individual camera. The longer the stretch of road (say full A9), they'll have umpteen pairings in operation. You'd need to be driving like an erse to get done more than once on the full stretch, it's more than likely they'd just ticket you once - at the highest reading on any given 'pair' if it's within the same journey.

Sorry pandarilla, didn't answer your question re pairing. Not all the cameras are used to calculate your average speed. They're assigned to average over 2 of them, but this might be e.g. camera 2 and then camera 5 over a 6 camera stretch...see above re a longer road such as A9

30 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

You're doing it right.

They're paired and used to work out time and therefore average speed. They have no capability to work out speed at passing of an individual camera. The longer the stretch of road (say full A9), they'll have umpteen pairings in operation. You'd need to be driving like an erse to get done more than once on the full stretch, it's more than likely they'd just ticket you once - at the highest reading on any given 'pair' if it's within the same journey.

There would be no legal defence against losing 12 points going from Inverness to Perth at a steady 85 mph though? Or even 75 mph?

P.S. Not including the 60 max sections.

Edited by welshbairn

They aren't active on the dualled sections of the A9, apparently, so you can gun it up them to get past a load of folk sticking to 70.

That is correct. You’d have to be averaging 70mph on the single carriageway to get done which, considering how busy the road is, is nigh on impossible

I saw a picture last week of a hearse with a wreath reading b*****d leaning against the coffin. The picture had the comment 'Only in Glasgow' beside it. Ignoring the fact that this could literally happen anywhere, the photo was taken in Dublin. 

Seen this on twitter under comment “only in Glasgow”. I noticed straight away from the photo that it was Lowther Street in Carlisle, as you could clearly see the entrance to The Lanes shopping centre.

Your point still stands though.