Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

80 isn't really speeding though is it...

And yeah there's plenty of time when it doesn't help at all - but the percentages will show that sometimes they'll makes it through the lights ahead of you.

I think it's the time wasting part I don't like. I want to get the job done as soon as possible, bit safely obviously.

I think an awful lot of accidents happen when drivers are in auto pilot mode. They're not going particularly fast and concentrating on something else other than the road ahead. I've done it plenty of times myself, and that's where I tend to make stupid mistakes.

When on the motorway I'm going fast but at least I'm concentrating fully.

Well the limit is 70, so aye. They sometimes make it through the lights and get to their destination maybe 2 or 3 minutes quicker?  It's just not worth it IMO.  I just don't see why speeding is necessary on any road. Of course concentration is a big factor, but the speed of cars (and not keeping safe distances at those speeds) are a huge factor in road accidents.

Well the limit is 70, so aye. They sometimes make it through the lights and get to their destination maybe 2 or 3 minutes quicker?  It's just not worth it IMO.  I just don't see why speeding is necessary on any road. Of course concentration is a big factor, but the speed of cars (and not keeping safe distances at those speeds) are a huge factor in road accidents.
I can't argue with any of that.

Driving back from Prestwick on Saturday and the police are up ahead doing 10MPH under the speed limit.

I pass them unlike the other Shithouses and all Is great with the world until up ahead of me is some wankstain in the fast lane who is casually going along not overtaking anyone.

I say to the wife I can't undertake this dickhead and blast the horn as I usually would because the police are behind me. 

I sit behind him for a minute expecting the police to pull him over but they're more useless than he is.

Do the Police just decide when they feel like it who is breaking the law and who isn't worth the hassle?

f**k off. And make sure you stay in the inside lane unless you're actively overtaking.
I'm with guy you quoted, you should prepare before you get in the car. How & why.

Do you have enough to time get to your destination on time without being an arsehole.

Do you have enough petrol.

Expect delays, adjust your leaving times if so be.

Put more petrol in the car during or during the journey.

Simple Simon stuff, not for an arsehole it seems.

I'm with guy you quoted, you should prepare before you get in the car. How & why.
Do you have enough to time get to your destination on time without being an arsehole.
Do you have enough petrol.
Expect delays, adjust your leaving times if so be.
Put more petrol in the car during or before the journey.
Simple Simon stuff, not for an arsehole it seems.
I like going fast though slippery. I'm not sure why, I just like getting places in good time.

It's weird because even when we've got time to kill I still drive faster than necessary (again though, only when it's safe to do so). Must be human nature.

I like going fast though slippery. I'm not sure why, I just like getting places in good time.

It's weird because even when we've got time to kill I still drive faster than necessary (again though, only when it's safe to do so). Must be human nature.
I would take the spoilers off. It makes you look ridiculous, especially at your age.
Time to slow down bud, take the scenery in, and all the hot chicks you miss.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

What about on a drive from London to Kilmarnock? I drive up during the night at 80-90mph. I don't save 2-3 mins. I save hours.

Folk who give it the whole "people who buy a Big Mac but then order a Diet Coke" chat.

You can easily stay within your daily calorie guidelines with such a burger, yet people evidently think that you should be compelled to go full sugar and over the recommendation just because you've not gone with the salad option?  :huh:

For the record, I don't drink Diet Coke.

Folk who give it the whole "people who buy a Big Mac but then order a Diet Coke" chat.
You can easily stay within your daily calorie guidelines with such a burger, yet people evidently think that you should be compelled to go full sugar and over the recommendation just because you've not gone with the salad option?  :huh:

For the record, I don't drink Diet Coke.
Salad on a kebab also. Salad improves a kebab and is clearly not a dietary decision.

36 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Driving back from Prestwick on Saturday and the police are up ahead doing 10MPH under the speed limit.

I pass them unlike the other Shithouses and all Is great with the world until up ahead of me is some wankstain in the fast lane who is casually going along not overtaking anyone.

I say to the wife I can't undertake this dickhead and blast the horn as I usually would because the police are behind me. 

I sit behind him for a minute expecting the police to pull him over but they're more useless than he is.

Do the Police just decide when they feel like it who is breaking the law and who isn't worth the hassle?

Why use the horn? What does that achieve?

Do what you like,  move on and face any consequences.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

39 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Luckily for you it seems so

4 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

What about on a drive from London to Kilmarnock? I drive up during the night at 80-90mph. I don't save 2-3 mins. I save hours.

My uncle, also from Kilmarnock, once said he once travelled from Prestwick to London in 1hr 20 mins. 

mind-blown-gif-7.gif

6 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Obviously over large distances you're saving more time, very few people are driving over 400 miles regularly on a daily basis though - the majority of people speeding will be shaving minutes off their 10-20-30 mile journey. I still don't think travelling 400 miles an hour or 2 quicker makes speeding okay.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I just don't see why speeding is necessary on any road

Driving fast is fun :) 

Now you may think it's dangerous. I'm sure you have your reasons and that's all fine. 

But when conditions and traffic permit, there is nothing wrong with 'making progress'. 

12 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Driving fast is fun :) 

Now you may think it's dangerous. I'm sure you have your reasons and that's all fine. 

But when conditions and traffic permit, there is nothing wrong with 'making progress'. 

I don't doubt driving fast is fun, I'm sure I would enjoy it too. Fun doesn't constitute necessity though. There are track days and things you can go to if you want to drive fast, endangering yourself and others on public roads isn't something I'd recommend.  I'm sure most speeders who end up wrapped around a tree thought that conditions and traffic were fine for them to be speeding too. Clearly I'm in a minority here though, so happy driving to all of you, I just hope none of you smash into me on my next journey :P

Edited by The Moonster

I don't doubt driving fast is fun, I'm sure I would enjoy it too. Fun doesn't constitute necessity though. There are track days and things you can go to if you want to drive fast, endangering yourself and others on public roads isn't something I'd recommend.  I'm sure most speeders who end up wrapped around a tree thought that conditions and traffic were fine for them to be speeding too. Clearly I'm in a minority here though, so happy driving to all of you, I just hope none of you smash into me on my next journey [emoji14]

Being a shit driver is more dangerous than speeding though. If you can drive at 80 and be competent then you shouldn’t ever really crash unless someone else fucks up.

The speed itself I will admit exacerbates the impact of a crash as opposed to increasing the likelihood.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Being a shit driver is more dangerous than speeding though. If you can drive at 80 and be competent then you shouldn’t ever really crash unless someone else fucks up.

The speed itself I will admit exacerbates the impact of a crash as opposed to increasing the likelihood.

That's not really true though, is it.  A mistake at 80mph is less forgiving than one at 70mph - great drivers make mistakes like the rest of us.   And how about the impact of weather and speed together? 

I used to speed a fair bit till I got 6 points in an hour for going 40 odd on a 30 limit urban dual carriageway, and back, a few years ago. Got used to staying under the limit fairly quickly, don't even risk the plus 10% rule. The A9 has got a lot more relaxing to drive without 90mph overtakers hurtling towards you, with the average speed cameras.