Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 17/03/2020 at 13:28, Hedgecutter said:

Folk driving right behind you in car parks, meaning you can't reverse park because they're blocking the way. 

Only a matter of time until we get a "f**k off, I want to reverse here" indicator signal. 

As Moonster says you just indicate and get it in there. They look like fannies if they need to reverse out your way as if anyone in a car park is likely to park.

Edited by Gaz FFC

On 17/03/2020 at 15:55, Jacksgranda said:

I hate that. Also the twats who ignore the direction arrows - yes, you two at McDonalds in Ballymena on Saturday.

Watched a woman reverse out a space and then come face to face with her as she was now going the wrong way. I just stood my ground and pointed up the hill shouting 1 way at her.

She was the classic wee middle aged woman who for whatever reason had bought herself the biggest vehicle on planet Earth and could barely see over the dash. Watching her getting it out the space was fun also.

5 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Watched a woman reverse out a space and then come face to face with her as she was now going the wrong way. I just stood my ground and pointed up the hill shouting 1 way at her.

She was the classic wee middle aged woman who for whatever reason had bought herself the biggest vehicle on planet Earth and could barely see over the dash. Watching her getting it out the space was fun also.

I told the lady in front of me in the queue at aforementioned McDonalds that she should have sat her ground until the arsehole reversed.

The other miscreant got a severe blast of my horn, I can assure you.

Image result for kenneth williams

I don't see how there could possibly be a staff shortage with the NHS as every single competition or giveaway I see on social media about 90% of the posts 'entering' are folk working so hard in the NHS and they dont have time to shop/decorate/get on holiday. 

Edited by Dele

This article (although it’s my own fault for reading the Guardian):

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/19/year-11-went-into-meltdown-pupils-hit-with-implications-of-school-closures

No self respecting child has ever been sad to miss school, let alone exams, they’ve obviously been told to say that. Secondly, missing your friends and missing out on things is absolutely least important aspect of a fucking global pandemic. Fucking newspaper bollocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/19/year-11-went-into-meltdown-pupils-hit-with-implications-of-school-closures
No self respecting child has ever been sad to miss school, let alone exams, they’ve obviously been told to say that. Secondly, missing your friends and missing out on things is absolutely least important aspect of a fucking global pandemic. Fucking newspaper bollocks.
A lot of my Advanced Higher class are sad to be leaving given tomorrow is now going to be their last day, that they have been working like Trojans to get the course finished and their project completed but will see no tangible reward for their effort, that it may well be the last time they see some of their favourite teachers (we have 3 who were due to retire at the start of the summer holidays), that there will be no prom that they've helped organise and fund raise for and that they face a very uncertain future. On top of that, they actually enjoy school, enjoy learning and like their teachers and classmates. They pretty much all wanted to do the exams and are gutted they won't have the challenge of a pretty tough exam to finish their time with me. Maybe they're not "self respecting" though.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

A lot of my Advanced Higher class are sad to be leaving given tomorrow is now going to be their last day, that they have been working like Trojans to get the course finished and their project completed but will see no tangible reward for their effort, that it may well be the last time they see some of their favourite teachers (we have 3 who were due to retire at the start of the summer holidays), that there will be no prom that they've helped organise and fund raise for and that they face a very uncertain future. On top of that, they actually enjoy school, enjoy learning and like their teachers and classmates. They pretty much all wanted to do the exams and are gutted they won't have the challenge of a pretty tough exam to finish their time with me. Maybe they're not "self respecting" though.

FFS, I was joking about with the first bit (ok, not my finest joke but the best in these trying times). The article was a PTTGOYN because kids being sad about school isn’t really a major issue in the global pandemic. 

Edited by Jambomo

37 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The article was a PTTGOYN because kids being sad about school isn’t really a major issue in the global pandemic. 

This isn't directed at you personally (not really), but for this thread I'd offer people criticising news reports or articles about things people are missing out on because of this. WATTOO was at it yesterday in the thread complaining because musicians said Glastonbury being cancelled was heartbreaking. Pretty much everyone in the country, of all ages and backgrounds are being negatively affected by this. For some they might lose jobs, homes, they might die, they might go hungry, they might not be able to wipe their arse, the economy might be irreparably fucked by the end of it. Everyone knows that. The end result doesn't account for the actual systems and events that are being disrupted, things that everyone does. You can't expect people - individuals and the wider media - to ignore all of that in favour of relentlessly covering the pandemic itself (especially in a world of 24 hour news and a constantly online population).

I'd also argue that children not being able to do typical childhood things is one of the more significant things here anyway. There's going to be a generation whose education has been disrupted in a way that's never been seen before, and are going to have to adjust to a world which will probably be unrecognisable from the one they know and the one they expected to live in as adults. That was already partly the case with the threat of climate change, but now you've got something even more immediately catastrophic thrown in to f**k them up. 

One other thing mentioned on the news this morning (or yesterday) when discussing school closures was what happens to children and families who rely on free school meals. Combine that with the shopping habits seen throughout the country over the past week and it's going to be very difficult for a lot of people who were already struggling. I'm definitely not going to be one for complaining about news coverage of things like this, not now or for however long this pandemic lasts.

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This isn't directed at you personally (not really), but for this thread I'd offer people criticising news reports or articles about things people are missing out on because of this. WATTOO was at it yesterday in the thread complaining because musicians said Glastonbury being cancelled was heartbreaking. Pretty much everyone in the country, of all ages and backgrounds are being negatively affected by this. For some they might lose jobs, homes, they might die, they might go hungry, they might not be able to wipe their arse, the economy might be irreparably fucked by the end of it. Everyone knows that. The end result doesn't account for the actual systems and events that are being disrupted, things that everyone does. You can't expect people - individuals and the wider media - to ignore all of that in favour of relentlessly covering the pandemic itself (especially in a world of 24 hour news and a constantly online population).

I'd also argue that children not being able to do typical childhood things is one of the more significant things here anyway. There's going to be a generation whose education has been disrupted in a way that's never been seen before, and are going to have to adjust to a world which will probably be unrecognisable from the one they know and the one they expected to live in as adults. That was already partly the case with the threat of climate change, but now you've got something even more immediately catastrophic thrown in to f**k them up. 

One other thing mentioned on the news this morning (or yesterday) when discussing school closures was what happens to children and families who rely on free school meals. Combine that with the shopping habits seen throughout the country over the past week and it's going to be very difficult for a lot of people who were already struggling. I'm definitely not going to be one for complaining about news coverage of things like this, not now or for however long this pandemic lasts.

TBH your reasons are why this is for me a PTTGOYN. Everybody is negatively impacted by this and everyone is anxious and worried, about their education, work, future, family & friends.

This isn’t telling anyone anything useful, it simply adds to the already fearful and miserable body of reporting we are seeing. It’s making things worse.  

Useful things (I.e like school closure discussions, ways of helping people, etc) absolutely need to be reported on.

People (adults or kids) putting on their sad faces and saying why they are sad is  just wrong at this time. It would be more useful down the line, to highlight the human impact there is in coming out of this, where additional aid is needed or different approaches are needed because things aren’t working. At the moment every resource and person is just focused on keeping each other alive and well. 

At the moment every person is just focused on keeping each other alive and well. 

You would think so. But the last week at least I have learnt that a lot of humans are assholes and couldnt give a shit about others.
Having to put rules in place to stop people being assholes.
A sad state of affairs.

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

People who use the phrase "cut your cloth". :angry:

Why? Travel restrictions will likely stop the trip to Dubai anyway and with everyone working from home it makes sense to give up the merc lease and just use the audi when necessary, if things get really bleak maybe even stop paying school fees, they don’t go anymore .  Sure it’s going to be tough and the bonus you get this year will likely be cut. We all need to make sacrifices to get through this

9 hours ago, Jambomo said:

TBH your reasons are why this is for me a PTTGOYN. Everybody is negatively impacted by this and everyone is anxious and worried, about their education, work, future, family & friends.

This isn’t telling anyone anything useful, it simply adds to the already fearful and miserable body of reporting we are seeing. It’s making things worse.  

Useful things (I.e like school closure discussions, ways of helping people, etc) absolutely need to be reported on.

People (adults or kids) putting on their sad faces and saying why they are sad is  just wrong at this time. It would be more useful down the line, to highlight the human impact there is in coming out of this, where additional aid is needed or different approaches are needed because things aren’t working. At the moment every resource and person is just focused on keeping each other alive and well. 

I get where you’re coming from but try explaining to a Three year old why she can’t see her friends for weeks or go to her dancing. Of course it’s the right thing to do but it will have a big impact socially on children and it’s far from petty. 

I get where you’re coming from but try explaining to a Three year old why she can’t see her friends for weeks or go to her dancing. Of course it’s the right thing to do but it will have a big impact socially on children and it’s far from petty. 
My daughter has so far took these things remarkably well. Including having to cancel her birthday party. I am far, far more gutted about that than she is thankfully.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Just now, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

My daughter has so far took these things remarkably well. Including having to cancel her birthday party. I am far, far more gutted about that than she is thankfully.

I don’t mean their experiences are petty, definitely agree they aren’t petty at all. I just mean articles talking about it are.