Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have some sympathy with his approach.

It would be considered a bit rude to just rock up to someone's house/office and demand they drop everything to speak to you, there's not much difference with a phone call.

This is good input. I want to be sure I'm being fair before I leather the shit out of him for being so fucking rude next time I see him. 

Takes ages to reply to texts and WhatsApps because he doesn't know he's got them too, if that changes things. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It would be considered a bit rude to just rock up to someone's house/office and demand they drop everything to speak to you, there's not much difference with a phone call.

Needing an appointment to talk to somebody on the phone is a sure sign the world is fucked. 

13 hours ago, Pato said:

not exactly a recommendation but I've joined the moneysavingexpert cheap energy club. Just switches me automatically to whatever's cheapest (& greenest cos I'm a hippy) when my deal expires. They're all mercenary b*****ds so I like reciprocating with zero loyalty to any of them.

Is this better than that Look After My Bills mob? I'm going to sign up to one of these things to get away from Scottish Gas after the news this week.

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

This is good input. I want to be sure I'm being fair before I leather the shit out of him for being so fucking rude next time I see him. 

Takes ages to reply to texts and WhatsApps because he doesn't know he's got them too, if that changes things. 

Leather ahead with a clear conscience.  

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Needing an appointment to talk to somebody on the phone is a sure sign the world is fucked. 

That's why I said I have some sympathy.

There's a difference between a quick text beforehand asking if you're free for a call, and having to book several days in advance.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's why I said I have some sympathy.

There's a difference between a quick text beforehand asking if you're free for a call, and having to book several days in advance.

Either way is dickish.  If you're free, you answer.  If not,  don't.  

A phone call's not a demand to speak though, it's a request to speak.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
28 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

A phone call's not a demand to speak though, it's a request to speak.

So it's perfectly acceptable to refuse said request and ask to arrange it for another time? Glad we cleared that up

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
So it's perfectly acceptable to refuse said request and ask to arrange it for another time? Glad we cleared that up

Well yes, we cleared that up a long time ago. This chap is refusing to even entertain requests via that medium though.

From the subsequent post about him taking ages to reply to messages because he doesn't know he got them, it just seems like he doesn't bother with his phone much.

50 minutes ago, madwullie said:

A mate of mine has his phone on silent all the time. He says if you want to speak to him, you should text first to arrange a time to call upon which he'll be ready for your call.

He doesn't have a particularly busy life, works from home, lives alone etc. Just a bad-mannered ignoramous. Rips my fucking knitting

Sounds like your friend has a good grip on life and isn’t enslaved to his phone. Don’t think it’s bad manners. He has clear parameters so it’s not as if it’s out of character for him to not reply. Don’t be too hard on him!

22 minutes ago, madwullie said:

His phone is for his convenience.  Not yours. 

Very common attitude these days. Expecting instant replies to everything. Very needy. 

This response was brought to you by an old man who often yells at clouds :)

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

From the subsequent post about him taking ages to reply to messages because he doesn't know he got them, it just seems like he doesn't bother with his phone much.

Sounds to me that he just doesn’t like madwullie 

4 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

His phone is for his convenience.  Not yours. 

Very common attitude these days. Expecting instant replies to everything. Very needy. 

This response was brought to you by an old man who often yells at clouds :)

That's not what this was about though.  It was the idea that somebody should arrange in advance to call him.  By appointment if you will.

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

A mate of mine has his phone on silent all the time. He says if you want to speak to him, you should text first to arrange a time to call upon which he'll be ready for your call.

He doesn't have a particularly busy life, works from home, lives alone etc. Just a bad-mannered ignoramous. Rips my fucking knitting

Maybe he isn't as engaged in your inconsequential, banal messages as you.