Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

48 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

People, especially broadcasters, adding '....ness' onto words. Already today I have heard 'humbleness' instead of humility, and the spectacularly bad 'underwhelmingness.'

My other half frequently says 'judgy' in place of 'judgemental'. As in "don't be so judgy". Completely boils my piss.

On 08/03/2023 at 17:46, coprolite said:

Feels a bit exclusionary for domesticated women that it’s only the international ones that get a day. 

Typical woke nonsense 

There

On 10/03/2023 at 09:31, mathematics said:

I’ve a feeling this might not be petty: Smoking on hospital grounds, and in particular, smoking at the fucking entrance to hospital grounds. Absolute arsehole behaviour.

A lot of the patients can't walk any further than the front door...

3 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

People, especially broadcasters, adding '....ness' onto words. Already today I have heard 'humbleness' instead of humility, and the spectacularly bad 'underwhelmingness.'

That pisses me off, too. I was complaining about it the other day to my friends in Inver and Bo'.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Yes. Real men, proper men use salad cream 

Have to admit this one turned really hilarious as I had just watched a bit of TV with a commercial featuring animated vegetables, so the phrase “salad cream” took the imagination somewhere really unexpected.

I've overheard a couple of people say "last but the least" lately, and just heard it used in an advert. I'm old enough now to know that, in five or ten years' time, an entire generation of youngsters will have decided that, to emphasise the final entry on a list is not less important than the others, they'll use a phrase that declares the exact opposite.

I'm wondering if it's an American thing, like the brainless "I could care less" abomination.

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've overheard a couple of people say "last but the least" lately, and just heard it used in an advert. I'm old enough now to know that, in five or ten years' time, an entire generation of youngsters will have decided that, to emphasise the final entry on a list is not less important than the others, they'll use a phrase that declares the exact opposite.

I'm wondering if it's an American thing, like the brainless "I could care less" abomination.

A hundred percent

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Sounds like a Chinese whisper of “last but not least”. That I’ve heard here, not last but the least.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Irregardless, language evolves. As evidenced by autocorrect seeing nothing wrong with the word "irregardless" as I type this. Well didn't that backfire on me.

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Irregardless, language evolves. As evidenced by autocorrect seeing nothing wrong with the word "irregardless" as I type this. Well didn't that backfire on me.

The horror of discovering that language evolves by people mishearing words/phrases, never putting any thought into the meaning behind them, and other people changing their usage to follow because they never thought about the meaning either and are terrified that they might have been wrong all along  :shutup

We should all pick a phrase, misuse it as often as possible, and see if we can get it into the public lexicon. I'm going to go with "bite the skin of your teeth". Y'know, because sometimes you end up biting the skin of your teeth with nerves. I'm used to coming across as an idiot anyway, so a wee bit extra for science is no biggie. I could care less.

Every day's an edumacation. Apparently these misheard sayings are known as eggcorns. My favourite was from a builder I used to work with: "The pudding's in the proof." 

Edited by IncomingExile

12 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

On a similar theme, I’ve seen “dull as dishwater” posted a few times recently on this very forum. I expect better of this place. 

Oh, that phrase is long lost. Probably as many people think it's "dishwater" as "ditchwater".

It's become a mute point.