Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

The BBC reporting the Fort William to Mallaig branch of the West Highland line as "the Harry Potter railway line.

I can just about live with the Jacobite and the Glenfinnan Viaduct being called the Harry Potter train/ bridge, but this has actually annoyed the f**k out of me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67552056

3 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

When you are at a supermarket checkout and you are unloading your trolley and the person behind is going 'look at me' instead of going to the basket checkout.

Not every supermarket has self service or basket checkouts, Lidl's, Aldi's and the Coop for example. So my point still stands.

Just now, Steelly said:

Not every supermarket has self service or basket checkouts, Lidl's, Aldi's and the Coop for example. So my point still stands.

Can't speak for the others but Co-Op definitely have self service check outs.

15 minutes ago, Steelly said:

My local Aldi has self service.

It’s like a normal self service till except the scales have been bought out of the jumble sale between the aisles and only work intermittently. Totally on brand. 

14 hours ago, Empty It said:

Can't speak for the others but Co-Op definitely have self service check outs.

I have two almost the same distance from the house - one is checkout only, the other is fully self serv (unless you want a lottery ticket or something like that).

Quite odd.

The four-way inconsistency of the spelling of the company name across the logo, street address, email and website address at the head of the following invoice:

PXL_20231129_1137284892.thumb.jpg.7f564a6f0b24bb46b94bcac0ca5297a9.jpg

Genuinely think I'd have been petty enough to go with another firm had I known this was in the pipeline.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The four-way inconsistency of the spelling of the company name across the logo, street address, email and website address at the head of the following invoice:

PXL_20231129_1137284892.thumb.jpg.7f564a6f0b24bb46b94bcac0ca5297a9.jpg

Genuinely think I'd have been petty enough to go with another firm had I known this was in the pipeline.

Five if you check Facebook:

IMG_0673.thumb.jpeg.e5f97412cd4ee72fc9d3907be26c4275.jpeg

Visiting the wife in hospital just now and not ten feet from me, the mother of a teenage boy is haranguing the staff to allow her to bring in a bag of chips. Apparently he's been turning up his nose at hospital food because the only thing he eats ( and I stress only) is chips and hot dog sausages.  

They're letting her take them in.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Visiting the wife in hospital just now and not ten feet from me, the mother of a teenage boy is haranguing the staff to allow her to bring in a bag of chips. Apparently he's been turning up his nose at hospital food because the only thing he eats ( and I stress only) is chips and hot dog sausages.  

They're letting her take them in.

Is the boy in for malnutrition?

On 27/11/2023 at 11:34, BFTD said:

Sitting in the pub for the past half hour, because I am cool/living my best life, and there's a young wean who has been greeting the place down for the whole time. Her maw has been sitting on her phone totally ignoring the kid, giving "what can you do?" looks to anyone who walks past. Doesn't appear to be distressing her that her wean's upset.

I'm not annoyed by the kid's crying, but by the fact that all the child seems to want is some attention from her mother, and is distressed because she's being ignored. Not sure if it's ignorance or just laziness, but I'm not sure if it's worse that some people do this because they don't know how to deal with a young child, or because they just don't care about it. It's upsetting to see kids being emotionally hurt like this.

I'm very much of the opinion that, once we're dead, all that's left is rotting organic matter, but that is still an exception level of cuntery. I can't imagine the caretakers will be too pleased; that's just as much desecration as breaking headstones.

I've been around a few auld duffers in cemetaries lately, and I can't imagine any of them doing this - they'd leave their cars at home rather than risk it. I think you gain a certain amount of extra respect for these places once you realise you're not far from ending up there yourself. If it was done by an auld yin, they were likely a self-centred p***k when they were young too.

Haud oan P&B. @BFTD is sitting in the Wetherspoons in Alloa (The Bobbing John iirc) at 11am on a (presumably) not particularly special Monday morning yet no one fronts up to challenge this apparently jakeball behaviour? 

I must be holding myself to outdated Presbyterian standards.  

29 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Haud oan P&B. @BFTD is sitting in the Wetherspoons in Alloa (The Bobbing John iirc) at 11am on a (presumably) not particularly special Monday morning yet no one fronts up to challenge this apparently jakeball behaviour? 

I must be holding myself to outdated Presbyterian standards.  

Keeps him away from the school's I suppose