Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Peil said:

better than the feeling of defeat when the wee lassie just glances at you and hits the 'visibly over 25' button

Prince Andrew.jpg

10 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Mr Jobsworth at M&S in Waverley station yesterday.

Rushing so had to get a sandwich and a couple of cans of G&T for the train north*, been a long weekend. 

He insisted I had to show my ID before he could approve the alcohol, I thought he was joking. He was not, I understand check 18 /21 /25. I had to hand him my driving license. I was traveling using my Scotrail Club 50 tickets, I'm 54 FFS in a couple of weeks, I have a son older than the bampot I was dealing with so a bit of common sense please, or use of your eyeballs and brain.

* I am well aware of the irony of someone pedantically sticking to the rules on alcohol sales whilst I was about to break them by having a drink on a train, but again please, a little common sense

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

My guess - based on nothing - is that "head office" has told them that the only way that they can be 100% sure that they dont sell alcohol to an underage person is to ask everyone.

If so, its fucking bonkers.

I’d be fine with ID’ing everyone. It saves the flights that occur when people get mad they “don’t look old enough”, or stuff like that. It also heads off the “I forgot my ID” crowd, if they know you HAVE to present ID to purchase, and heads it off as an attempt to cheat if they’re on the low side but look older.

Judging by “appearance” is stupid and unreliable until the purchaser is unreasonably old, and if you play that game, it’s becomes roulette whom gets checked…check everyone.

10 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Mr Jobsworth at M&S in Waverley station yesterday.

Rushing so had to get a sandwich and a couple of cans of G&T for the train north*, been a long weekend. 

He insisted I had to show my ID before he could approve the alcohol, I thought he was joking. He was not, I understand check 18 /21 /25. I had to hand him my driving license. I was traveling using my Scotrail Club 50 tickets, I'm 54 FFS in a couple of weeks, I have a son older than the bampot I was dealing with so a bit of common sense please, or use of your eyeballs and brain.

* I am well aware of the irony of someone pedantically sticking to the rules on alcohol sales whilst I was about to break them by having a drink on a train, but again please, a little common sense

^^^

mclovin.jpg.3083cabe6b55ec1eb12dda63e5f51a37.jpg

23 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’d be fine with ID’ing everyone. It saves the flights that occur when people get mad they “don’t look old enough”, or stuff like that. It also heads off the “I forgot my ID” crowd, if they know you HAVE to present ID to purchase, and heads it off as an attempt to cheat if they’re on the low side but look older.

Judging by “appearance” is stupid and unreliable until the purchaser is unreasonably old, and if you play that game, it’s becomes roulette whom gets checked…check everyone.

Would you seriously ID this* c**t?

Rupert Murdoch with his new wife Elena Zhukova

*Rupert obviously.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Would you seriously ID this* c**t?

Rupert Murdoch with his new wife Elena Zhukova

*Rupert obviously.

Yea, with great satisfaction! I

bet the b*****d hasn’t had a bit of ID on him in decades…someone else undoubtedly handles it.

When I'm about to buy something at a shop and they start to ask me for my name, postcode etc like I'm applying for a passport instead of buying a £1.10 roll of electric tape from Screwfix. 

Edinburgh Bikes is bad for that too. Just let me pay for the fucking thing in a simple transaction. 

Creepy bastarts the lot of them.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

When I'm about to buy something at a shop and they start to ask me for my name, postcode etc like I'm applying for a passport instead of buying a £1.10 roll of electric tape from Screwfix. 

Edinburgh Bikes is bad for that too. Just let me pay for the fucking thing in a simple transaction. 

Just tell them to f**k off.

17 minutes ago, velo army said:

I recently bought something from a branch of HMV for the first time in ages. They insisted I type my email address into a particularly unresponsive touchscreen or I couldn't have a receipt, as they don't do paper ones anymore  :huh:

41 minutes ago, velo army said:

They found my dad's name on the database when I went to buy something there the other year. He'd been dead for 15 years.

53 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I recently bought something from a branch of HMV for the first time in ages. They insisted I type my email address into a particularly unresponsive touchscreen or I couldn't have a receipt, as they don't do paper ones anymore  :huh:

I bought a couple of DVD’s from HMV back in March and the lassie printed the receipt out for me.
How do they cope if an older person with no email comes in? 

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I remember being gutted when i found out that screwfix wasn’t a dating agency.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

3 or 4 years ago I was buying some headphones in Currys and the girl at the till insisted I had to give a name and address or email (I can't remember exactly what was required as it was a while ago) for the receipt in case I was to bring them back, and that the system wouldn't allow the purchase without the information. So I walked out and went to Argos instead. I'm not bought anything in a Currys shop since.

10 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I bought a couple of DVD’s from HMV back in March and the lassie printed the receipt out for me.
How do they cope if an older person with no email comes in? 

This was at Argyle Street in Glasgow. I don't think they do this at our nearest HMV, although I haven't bought anything there in years and just end up browsing - the days of decent HMV sales seem long gone.

It was interesting to see how it went from being a music shop to one that primarily sold films, only now they've switched back to a massive music floor, with the top floor dedicated to t-shirts and plastic tat and a small section for films in the middle. Shame that film sales have died off, but it's nice to see a music shop going back to selling music in a big way, even if they charge a fucking fortune for everything. I was primarily buying records for 99p back in the Nineties because nobody wanted them anymore  :blink:

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

FOPP tried to do that with me. "Give us your e-mail address so we can send you the receipt." I asked if they couldn't just give it to me there and then and the guy pressed one button and the receipt was printed off and handed to me.

35 minutes ago, GordonD said:

FOPP tried to do that with me. "Give us your e-mail address so we can send you the receipt." I asked if they couldn't just give it to me there and then and the guy pressed one button and the receipt was printed off and handed to me.

I wonder if anyone ever tried this back in the old days - "give me your address and I'll drop round with your receipt later".

11 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

3 or 4 years ago I was buying some headphones in Currys and the girl at the till insisted I had to give a name and address or email (I can't remember exactly what was required as it was a while ago) for the receipt in case I was to bring them back, and that the system wouldn't allow the purchase without the information. So I walked out and went to Argos instead. I'm not bought anything in a Currys shop since.

That'll learn them. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

One Sunday my TV died. Was a football game or something on later. 

Straight to Tesco, picked and TV and got to checkout. You'll need to give me your name and address and email for the TV License. 

No I don't , I have a license (that may have been a lie), so you don't need it. I want to pay for TV and go.

No info given, TV bought and printed receipt received.

Edited by MEADOWXI