Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

People who presses the button at traffic lights then cross the road while it is still at green for traffic, just for it to turn to red when i arrive at the lights.

If your not going to wait for the green man, don't press the f button  😡

Spent 10 hours in Hairmyres A&E last night after not being able to catch my breath for the best part of 3 days.

At least 7 of those hours were waiting around - at least I got to watch the Euros final on my phone while I did.

21 hours ago, tam the bud said:

People who presses the button at traffic lights then cross the road while it is still at green for traffic, just for it to turn to red when i arrive at the lights.

I think the seethe this invokes in drivers makes it fair game. I usually wait for an approaching Audi before hammering the button and doing a Chiellini-esque smug grin as I cross the road. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I think the seethe this invokes in drivers makes it fair game. I usually wait for an approaching Audi before hammering the button and doing a Chiellini-esque smug grin as I cross the road. 

Thankfully i don't drive an Audi and never would. 

1 hour ago, The Naitch said:

Spent 10 hours in Hairmyres A&E last night after not being able to catch my breath for the best part of 3 days.

At least 7 of those hours were waiting around - at least I got to watch the Euros final on my phone while I did.

That isn't good. Did you find out what was going on?

2 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Hope you're OK, same thing happened to a colleague re the not catching a breath, turned out to be stress related

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That isn't good. Did you find out what was going on?

All tests came back clear so they couldn't really explain it other than possibly outside smoke/pollution or dust when I've been cleaning getting into my chest. Having, albeit mild, asthma won't have helped.

Got a round of steroids to hopefully knock it out of me.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Got his breath back when England went oot. 

Only kidding, hope all is well @The Naitch.

It helped. We all got dirty looks from the receptionists when we celebrated the winner.

2 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Hope you're OK, same thing happened to a colleague re the not catching a breath, turned out to be stress related

Aye, that can be a factor.

Irony is I should be on a train to Aviemore right now for a few days break - that'll not be happening now. 😂

4 hours ago, The Naitch said:

I had something similar recently.  I had had a bad cold that moved into my chest that I ended up needing antibiotics for. Even after the antibiotics I had this niggly cough that just wouldn't shift.  it seemed to go from my chest up to a tickling cough at the back of my throat.  What started happening was that I'd start coughing and it would almost "catch" at the back of my throat, which seemed to clamp shut and I couldn't catch a breath.  Scary as f**k the first time it happened, but I learned that when it did happen, if i managed to calm myself down I could catch a breath through my nose and then it would all subside.

It seems to have sorted itself out now, thankfully.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

I suppose it's been the capital of "North Britain" for decades now but sitting in my Edinburgh pub and being about the only person to cheer when Spain scored* the first last night and having half the pub cheer when Engerlund equalised.. 

*my mate's half Spanish. No narrow anti-Englishness here. In fact I was watching the game with a Geordie. 

4 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I had something similar recently.  I had had a bad cold that moved into my chest that I ended up needing antibiotics for. Even after the antibiotics I had this niggly cough that just wouldn't shift.  it seemed to go from my chest up to a tickling cough at the back of my throat.  What started happening was that I'd start coughing and it would almost "catch" at the back of my throat, which seemed to clamp shut and I couldn't catch a breath.  Scary as f**k the first time it happened, but I learned that when it did happen, if i managed to calm myself down I could catch a breath through my nose and then it would all subside.

It seems to have sorted itself out now, thankfully.

Aye, that definitely sounds familiar.

It is scary as f**k when it happens. Pretty sure the panic then triggered an asthma attack as well for a bit of banter.

Don't get old kids!

7 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Stress doesn't do my breathing any favours either.

On 14/07/2024 at 11:33, tam the bud said:

This happens all the time to me as a pedestrian. Cars hooring past then a break in the flow.

What a wee shame you get 10 seconds added on to your journey time..

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I suppose it's been the capital of "North Britain" for decades now but sitting in my Edinburgh pub and being about the only person to cheer when Spain scored* the first last night and having half the pub cheer when Engerlund equalised.. 

*my mate's half Spanish. No narrow anti-Englishness here. In fact I was watching the game with a Geordie. 

What's narrow about being anti-English in the context of a sporting match? 

Edited by vikingTON

Edinburgh has a high percentage of English people, not surprising that there would be a lot of people supporting them in a pub last night.

I watched the 2010 World Cup England v USA game in the Star Bar in New Town, pretty much everyone in the place was supporting England , except for me and my mate, who started playing “America f**k Yeah” on his phone to wind up his English girlfriend, who IIRC stormed out the pub.