Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As a man who often professes his love for silence and being left alone, I'm disappointed, and actually near disgusted, at your support for talking to people more. 

Sorry, you're right. I meant in written communications. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Streaming funerals is becoming more common. Helps if you have family overseas who can't make it in person, or if you have relatives who are housebound. 

First read that approvingly as “Steaming funerals…” and assumed we were moving toward getting absolutely hammered at funerals, much like at weddings.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

First read that approvingly as “Steaming funerals…” and assumed we were moving toward getting absolutely hammered at funerals, much like at weddings.

Yankland is obviously well behind us on this front if they don't already partake in a good post-funeral session. Planting the deceased has just been the precursor to a massive pish up for many here since time immemorial.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

When you go to the effort of sending an informative message and someone replies with a thumbs up emoji.

The person received the Temu version of informative.

A text from work to check I'm aware of my shifts for the week ahead: thumbs up.

A text with information that someone's gone out of their way to find because they knew I needed it: a wee thank you message.

An amusing personal insult on a Scottish football forum: green dot.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If all that's required is an acknowledgement then a thumbs up is fine. For example of someone said they were picking me up at a certain time, I'd probably reply with a thumbs up, rather than say that's great or something. If you've specifically asked a question that requires a worded answer then I'd agree. 

It just gives me the overall message of “okay now leave me alone”. I am a blether though.

I am a regular thumbsup giver as I often receive information by text while on the move at work, usually things like addresses, contact info etc. The other day I embarrassed myself slightly due to a rearranging of the 'recent' box I get when I click the emoji symbol, resulting in me responding to a 3-page long message from the operations manager with this:

confused.gif.a51787b1daad63fc47418d5e2e79c0da.gif

Edited by Zetterlund

31 minutes ago, throbber said:

It just gives me the overall message of “okay now leave me alone”. I am a blether though.

At work we are constantly reminded to reply to emails even if there is nothing to say*, so I guess 👍 satisfies the criteria .

*they call this a holding email, the thought of the title alone gives me the boak.

20 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

At work we are constantly reminded to reply to emails even if there is nothing to say*, so I guess 👍 satisfies the criteria .

*they call this a holding email, the thought of the title alone gives me the boak.

One of the few circumstances where read receipts might actually be useful.

Perhaps AI autoreplies might become popular soon:

"Dear Zen Archer (Raconteur),

Thank you for your message about the f**king hot tub.

I'm sorry/pleased to read that the water is suspiciously foamy again, you pervert.

I currently have no strong feeling regarding this topic, but will update you if this changes.

Best,

Kind regards,

Many thanks,

BFTD."

People getting nostalgic for Blockbuster Video.

Blockbuster was a terrible chain that killed off the original local video rental shops, then the smaller chains. All had better prices and a more interesting array of films, especially the older and more obscure ones. Blockbuster just kept a lot of stock of the latest releases and gradually narrowed their selection to the most recent and popular titles, eventually bumping their prices up to a silly degree as they had no competition left. They also refused to stock films that didn't fit with their Christian values, and insisted on being supplied with their own edits of films which cut out scenes they didn't like.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Blockbuster was a terrible chain that killed off the original local video rental shops, then the smaller chains. All had better prices and a more interesting array of films, especially the older and more obscure ones. Blockbuster just kept a lot of stock of the latest releases and gradually narrowed their selection to the most recent and popular titles, eventually bumping their prices up to a silly degree as they had no competition left. They also refused to stock films that didn't fit with their Christian values, and insisted on being supplied with their own edits of films which cut out scenes they didn't like.

Don't forget cinema-priced sweets and crisps. 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Don't forget cinema-priced sweets and crisps. 

I figured they just had the same stock on display for years. Surely nobody was buying at those prices, considering that there was almost always a cheaper shop nearby with a better selection.

11 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Yankland is obviously well behind us on this front if they don't already partake in a good post-funeral session. Planting the deceased has just been the precursor to a massive pish up for many here since time immemorial.

Iv never been pissed at a funeral. 

Always found it an odd custom and anytime iv seen it starting to go that way, there's an edge to the atmosphere I didn't like. Not for me. 

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

I remember there being 2 video rental places in Alloa. One on the ring road, which was tiny. It shut and became a funeral director's place. But the main one was the Video Drive-In, which later added sunbeds. 

I used to love going there and picking up a movie for a couple of days. Browsing round, looking at video covers to see what you fancied. 

But no way would I bother with it now. I have more movies and TV shows that I could watch at my fingertips than I could possibly watch in my lifetime. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv never been pissed at a funeral. 

Always found it an odd custom and anytime iv seen it starting to go that way, there's an edge to the atmosphere I didn't like. Not for me. 

I agree about "at the funeral". Getting pissed is what the wake is for.

We had a Blockbuster (took over Ritz)'and then later a Video Express opened up right round the corner. VE was far superior, cheaper and a wider range of games to choose from. I also think you could could games for 5 instead of 2 days, meaning even better value for money.