N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Only really started watching hockey a few months ago, my mates got me into it. Just wondering what team I should support? One of my mates is a Canucks fan, while the other is a Lightning fan. Any ideas?

Depends what your looking for, whether it's a team that'll go far in the playoffs or just a team to follow week in week out whatever the score. I follow the Leafs, and right now they are very very pish.

Leafs are away to Ottawa tonight.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the arena Nashville play in used to be called the Gaylord Entertainment Center?

Depends what your looking for, whether it's a team that'll go far in the playoffs or just a team to follow week in week out whatever the score. I follow the Leafs, and right now they are very very pish.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the arena Nashville play in used to be called the Gaylord Entertainment Center?

Right since you told me about the rules and how the league works i have been watching hockey a lot more not just the leafs but hockey in generl and im fucking loving it.

But i have still to watch a leafs game and they win canni get over how they get pumped all the time is there any chance of them getting better, maybe getting some new players in?

Will be watching the game the night because i think thats a derby sort of game.

Also how long left in the season?

Right since you told me about the rules and how the league works i have been watching hockey a lot more not just the leafs but hockey in generl and im fucking loving it.

But i have still to watch a leafs game and they win canni get over how they get pumped all the time is there any chance of them getting better, maybe getting some new players in?

Will be watching the game the night because i think thats a derby sort of game.

Also how long left in the season?

They brought in Phil Kessel at a big cost, think it was 1st/2nd draft picks for the next two seasons. Not much else they can do, and Kessel was injured at the start of the season. Leafs have a tough few years ahead of them now, but we can always hope we do a Pittsburgh, and after many years of pishness we suddenly do brilliant.

I wont be watching tonight, only days I can are Friday and Saturday.

Long way to go this season, I think the Leafs have 64 games remaining. Then there's the playoffs for the good teams after that.

The teams I've been impressed with are the Blackhawks, Islanders, Capitals and Devils. With probably choose one of those sides. The Leafs aren't doing to well at the mo.

They brought in Phil Kessel at a big cost, think it was 1st/2nd draft picks for the next two seasons. Not much else they can do, and Kessel was injured at the start of the season. Leafs have a tough few years ahead of them now, but we can always hope we do a Pittsburgh, and after many years of pishness we suddenly do brilliant.

I wont be watching tonight, only days I can are Friday and Saturday.

Long way to go this season, I think the Leafs have 64 games remaining. Then there's the playoffs for the good teams after that.

How much in hockey os a big cost?

Only really started watching hockey a few months ago, my mates got me into it. Just wondering what team I should support? One of my mates is a Canucks fan, while the other is a Lightning fan. Any ideas?

Due to the time difference, pick an Eastern Conference team if you want to watch a live game on the web occasionally.

Pick the Devils. I need someone to talk to. :bairn:lol:

Especially as big rivals the Flyers stopped our winning streak last night. Had to happen some time but that's two losses to them now.

Devils are always slated for being defensive, tough, not very entertaining and the reason why the venue is half empty when they play. They've evolved a little in recent seasons from their obvious 'trapping' game and have a decent mix just now. So not too well liked or maybe looked down on for their negative image I suppose.

Atlantic Division always looks the toughest one for me. Even the NY Islanders are right in the mix this season as well making it even tougher. Don't pick any of those fancy skating teams that chase goals all the time in their easy wee divisions. :D

Some nasty stuff at the start. :lol:

Beating the Red Wings is always good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVHGuShZ-s

The coach from '95 is back this season and got things going pretty well so far.

Join the cause!

I clicked one of they links there and came across some hockey fights.

Wee question for you guys, what the feck are half of them fighting about?

Sometimes it looks like nowt is happening so they just throw the sticks and gloves down and wire in! :D

Sometimes it looks like nowt is happening so they just throw the sticks and gloves down and wire in! :D

History between each other, history between the teams, if an opponent lays a hard hit down on one of his team-mates (goalie in particular) verbal abuse, doing it for the fucking sake of it.

Edited by Dzeko

Talking about fights, there were four in the Ottawa vs Toronto match last night. Don't know why the first started. Second was a hit, followed by shirt pulling, then fight, also helped by the fact this Leafs player always fights. Third was a big hit from Ottawa player, who then proceded to hit another player. The first player knocked down wasn't happy and started fighting. Fourth was an Ottawa hit on the last Leaf who fought, someone stepped in and started fighting the Ottawa player.

Here's a video of Colton Orr's 7th fight of the season. Easily knocked down his opponent.

On the scoring front, Ottawa defeated us 3-2, four losses in a row now. But as long as Colton Orr smashes someone, we don't care.

Leafs are away to Carolina today. We won there 3-2 two weeks ago. The winner of this one moves off the bottom of the NHL and Eastern Conference.

Phil Kessel hat trick, Colton Orr to smash the crap out of someone and Leafs to dramatically lose in OT with one second left. Go Leafs Go!

Toronto lost to Carolina 6-5 last night after a shootout defeat.

Leafs cruised the first period with a 3-0 lead. Carolina hit two goals late in the 2nd period to make it 3-2. Into the final minute the score was 4-4, and Ian White looked to have won it with a goal 30 seconds from time. However, with just three seconds left, Erik Cole made it 5-5 and saved Carolina from defeat. Hurricanes then won a penalty shootout 2-0 after no goals were scored in OT. Crushing defeat.

Another two fights in this one, both pretty pish. That's 9 fights in three games now. Coincidentally the second fight was between White and Cole who scored the last minute goals. This fight was started by an outstanding hit from White - it was a pish fight, but the hit was sublime!

Toronto lost to Carolina 6-5 last night after a shootout defeat.

Leafs cruised the first period with a 3-0 lead. Carolina hit two goals late in the 2nd period to make it 3-2. Into the final minute the score was 4-4, and Ian White looked to have won it with a goal 30 seconds from time. However, with just three seconds left, Erik Cole made it 5-5 and saved Carolina from defeat. Hurricanes then won a penalty shootout 2-0 after no goals were scored in OT. Crushing defeat.

Another two fights in this one, both pretty pish. That's 9 fights in three games now. Coincidentally the second fight was between White and Cole who scored the last minute goals. This fight was started by an outstanding hit from White - it was a pish fight, but the hit was sublime!

Just seen a wee bit last night but least we nearly won when i watch most times we get humped!

Just seen a wee bit last night but least we nearly won when i watch most times we get humped!

I've watched us beat Carolina and Detroit so far, a SO loss to Montreal and a humping off Calgary. Might watch us get humped on Saturday.

Just watched the highlights. Good finish by Stempniak. Carolina's first goal was hilarious as one of the referees got taken out :lol:

Gustavsson had a poor game. Apparently I've seen some comments that the referees helped out the Canes quite a bit, but nothing can be done about it now.